Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: When you're expected to eat... page 7

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrquick42 View Post
    Are people actually getting grief from restaurants? I generally consider my infrequent meals at a sit-down restaurant to be part of the 20% in my 80/20 adherence. But even when I go all out and tell them no bun for my burger, no croutons in my salad, and veggies instead of fries I have never once been asked why.

Same here. I think, to some degree restaurants will respect the low carb, gluten free angle (I know Red Robin has a gluten-free menu, which was nice of them).
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Rynamo is online now Member
    You could always go Evangelist on your co workers. Start spouting the benefits of a low carb, grain free diet. How they are killing themselves and that CW and SAD's are the cause of all of our health problems. Then watch them politely run away from you, unlikely to ask again. You will need to be pretty secure in your position though, as this may bite you in the ass later.

greenshady is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Here in the south, if there's a bunch of food and someone isn't eating it, the natural assumption is that the person not partaking either doesn't know about it or thinks they aren't welcome to it. Hell, hope and pray a family member doesn't die because everyone and their mother will call and say, "I'm cooking y'all dinner." "What do y'all need for lunch?" "I'm bringing you a casserole". That stuff is a statement, not a question and refusal is taken as an insult. Someone dies and you'll have home cooked meals 3 times a day for a freaking month!
    Too true. It is an outright insult to refuse food in the South, even when someone hasn't died.

I have to intentionally avoid going to my grandmother's house during meal hours. It's physically impossible to skip eating when she's cooked something. I'm fairly certain she'd hold me down and force feed me if she had too. Even during non-meal hours, she still offers to cook for me, but I always have to lie to her and tell her I just ate.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenshady View Post
    Too true. It is an outright insult to refuse food in the South, even when someone hasn't died.

I have to intentionally avoid going to my grandmother's house during meal hours. It's physically impossible to skip eating when she's cooked something. I'm fairly certain she'd hold me down and force feed me if she had too. Even during non-meal hours, she still offers to cook for me, but I always have to lie to her and tell her I just ate.
    I think it happens in many family-centric cultures. When Pilipino people have parties, there's tons of food: "fattening,"and "sweetening," on one "buffet table." When I went/stayed home after one year away from home, for college, I was often fed by my aunt; as if every meal was your last. I did have to unfortunately put my foot down, at the time, kind of pompously. I know my folks may try something similar, after hearing about my fastcapades :P.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member
    When I go home to see my mom, she constantly pushes me to eat 6x a day. If I don't, she tells me that I'm anorexic. It's so frustrating because I eat a lot, just not at her specified times. While she eats a piece of toast at 6am for breakfast, I eat 3 eggs, couple slices of bacon, and half an avocado at 11am. For lunch, she has a grilled cheese sandwich. I don't eat again until dinner, which may be 2-3 chicken thighs and a big ass salad. She'll eat 1 thigh, a small bowl of salad, and a piece of garlic cheese bread. Sometimes I'll make up half a can of coconut milk and add some chia seeds. Let it sit for 15-20 min in the fridge and I have dessert. YUM! Her dessert and late night snack might be the brownies she picked up at the store. *sigh*

I enjoy the way I eat but hate listening to people tell me what and when to eat. Seriously, leave me alone. If I was losing weight, that would be one thing, but I'm 140lbs (5'7"), so it's not like I'm starving by not eating breakfast at 6am.

Sorry, just turned this into my own personal vent.
    Danni

La Carnera is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Man, some of you guys need firmer backbones. Luckily I no longer have to function in an office setting. A lot of people aren't pushing it in their minds. It's a social thing, and depending on the part of the country you're in, it's cultural too. Here in the south, if there's a bunch of food and someone isn't eating it, the natural assumption is that the person not partaking either doesn't know about it or thinks they aren't welcome to it. Hell, hope and pray a family member doesn't die because everyone and their mother will call and say, "I'm cooking y'all dinner." "What do y'all need for lunch?" "I'm bringing you a casserole". That stuff is a statement, not a question and refusal is taken as an insult. Someone dies and you'll have home cooked meals 3 times a day for a freaking month!

Your perspective needs to change on it. If you lash out with your inner A-Hole, then you're alienating people that you have to see every day. A friend of mine that works for a large corporation with a ton of employee's is honest. He tells them that he doesn't eat trashy junk food at work and saves it for the weekends and also mentions how he puts too much time in at the gym to undo all the work by partaking in office food everyday. At this point too, all of his coworkers understand it. He's not being holier-than-thou, because that WILL make people harass him constantly, but he cracks his jokes right back at them.

I was out of town with my boss a few weeks back and he swung through a fast food joint. He's a pretty in shape dude. He really does watch what he eats but he's more of a 40/30/30 kind of guy, just the regular Joe that doesn't need to lose weight and doesn't eat trashy as much as the average American. Anyway, he came back with his food and got on a phone call. He didn't realize that I was tossing together a big ass salad out of my cooler with chicken and all kinds of stuff. So he hangs up, looks over, and there I am with this complicated looking lunch that materialized out of no where and he started dying laughing. And you know, it really is ridiculous. Hell, I started dying laughing about it. Now every time he sends me out of town overnight we crack jokes about how have to get the salad bar packed before I head out.

I have the kind of personality where I'll crack a joke about anything. Hell, I have a rough batch of friends. We're relentless. Example, being a road warrior, I keep a sewing kit in my trunk. Several years ago bunch of us got together for our bi-annual vacation and a buddy ripped some buttons off a shirt doing his superman impersonation (we throw down). His wife told him that she'd fix it when they got home since she didn't have a sewing kit. I replied, "Hold on" and walked off then returned with a sewing kit. Not a small one, a freaking HUGE one. 2 seconds later we were all busting out laughing at the fact that me, a single dude, travels around with a sewing kit. There's no telling how many jokes got tossed out there. We rarely all see each other and here, all these years later, every time I see a friend of mine he'll ask me if I'm ready to admit I'm clearly gay because only a gay dude would keep a sewing kit in his trunk. Or, "How's the Singer Sower!?" "Damn, almost in your mid 30's and still single..... now we all know why!" The list is long and hilarious.

If I was uptight and easily offended by things, then life would be bland and suck. The reality is that my diet and lifestyle IS ridiculous by standards. I see it as an opportunity for humor and adding some spice to a relatively unexciting life 80% of the time. You guys that encounter this stuff have two choices.

1) Let it bother you and either keep it bottled up or lash out and piss off people that you may have to rely on at work.

2) Roll with it, crack a joke and a smile and enjoy life. Most people will end up respecting you if you're consistent in your own convictions, and eventually they'll really want to know the why's. And when someone really wants to know why you do what you do, well, then you have a relationship with someone where you can change their perspective and impact their life in a positive way...and why the hell wouldn't someone want to do that?

I recommend the latter.
    You're fantastic.
    And the coolest.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad I work in the office I do!

One guy goes home for lunch every day. No idea what he eats but he also couldn't care less about what we eat.
    One gal does Paleo more then I do
    The other gal eats CRAP but she thinks it's healthy. Other then having to smell her funky frozen dinner cooking in the microwave it's no biggy.
    And the last guy (not actually AT our office but he comes over a bunch) I really have no idea what he eats when he brings his own food but when we eat out it's fairly standard fare. But he is a rather big guy and is working to lose weight (and it's starting to work!) by doing a basic low carb deal.

And we have just started a 'lunch club'. We were ALL eating out WAY too much this summer so we decided that we should do lunch club and take turns bringing food.

So the four of us (not including the guy who goes home every day) each picked a day of the week and we bring food for everyone that day.

So our rules are:
    No grains
    No dairy (or at least on the side as an add in)
    No tomatoes or peppers (they don't agree with one gal)
    Low carb
    No mushrooms (the other gal really doesn't like them)
    No beans

Not too bad for 4 people with 4 different eating plans! Yesterday was the first day and we had beef stew. It works.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I wonder why people are so concerned with what other people are eating. I don't give a shit what other people are eating... why are they so concerned about what I am eating? Also, it's always when you are healthy that they care, but it can never be the other way around, right? I could never say "Oh, come on... don't eat that garbage... eat this instead." Ugh... people! Just leave me alone and let me eat what I eat and I will let you eat what you eat... it's that simple! Can you tell I am PMSing? lol

That being said... I don't care if people are offended if I don't eat their food at the potluck. I bring something primal friendly and tell people I have intolerances and everyone knows now that I won't eat their stuff.
    Last edited by healthy11; 11-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    If they have a problem, who cares? The greatest gift you have is health.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tell them you're a health nut. Explain that once a person doesn't eat a lot of processed foods they get very sensitive and that you don't want to spend the rest of the day in the bathroom. or...

Get a very demented look on your face and whisper that, "wheat is Satan's food." or...

When you've finally had enough of their bad behavior, you could just say, "Because I don't want to see what you see when I look in the mirror." But I'd wait 'til I had another job lined up before I used that one.

They're taking advantage of your youth and you're still young enough that you're letting them. A simple, "No, thank you," should suffice, but if not, just keep saying, "No, thank you," until they figure out that they're being rude.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast