Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When you're expected to eat... page 3

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    This probably has a lot to do with why give you such a hard time. Every time you make a healthy choice and turn that stuff down, it just shines a light on their bad choices, and they don't like being confronted with them.
    Yes and a lot of people deal with their shame by making you out to be acting as if you are better than everyone or "too good" for certain food. Or they act like you are a food nazi and over the top.. when they are over weight. I usually just make a joke like "No thanks I am cutting back" and pat my stomach. This relieves a lot of potential tension by injecting some humor.

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Have a rotation of standard excuses you use, so you always have something to say, but they won't hear the same one over and over, and get in your face about it.

I had a big breakfast/lunch/dinner and am still full.
    I'm saving room for dessert.
    My stomach is a little off, so I'm resting.
    I had just had some: it was delicious!
    Last time I had that, there were...problems...so, no thanks.
    Sure! Thanks! (discreetly drop off in the wastebin)
    It looks so good, but I'm full. Can I take a piece for later?
    I save treats like that for the weekend. (Thanks for the idea, Catharsis!)

I have had success with all of these. (Except the last, but I'll be trying it!)
    Last edited by Sabine; 04-29-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: new idea from Catharsis' post

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    That one made me laugh.

bchanel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Have a rotation of standard excuses you use, so you always have something to say, but they won't hear the same one over and over, and get in your face about it.

I had a big breakfast/lunch/dinner and am still full.
    I'm saving room for dessert.
    My stomach is a little off, so I'm resting.
    Last time I had that, there were...problems...so, no thanks.
    Sure! Thanks! (discreetly drop off in the wastebin)
    It looks so good, but I'm full. Can I take a piece for later?

I have had success with all of these.
    Love these! I may have to put a cheat sheet on my desk I love how people act like you're depriving yourself when you don't eat something! I want to say, "I eat fresh, healthy, whole foods. I'm giving my body exactly what it needs! You're the one depriving yourself."
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. -Mae West

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I have the phrase "No thanks, I'm trying to cut down." permanently on the tip of my tongue. I rattle that back quickly anytime someone tries to hand me something or asks me if I want anything usually before I have to think whether I might really want what they offer or not. It throws people for a second when they're trying to hand my pamphlet or something that I really don't want.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I also rotate through a list, and often take a tiny portion and then dump it crumpled in a napkin into the bin. Or, if it's a sit down function I just pick through it, eat a bit of the meat sauce sans noodles (luckily I can play the Celiac card, but trust me that comes with it's own pains. People literally stuff gluten free garbage down my throat, and they are so genuinely pleased that I feel like a jerk refusing.) and make excuses when possible. You'll get the hange of it, and people will start to realise you are serious after a while.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I tell people I have gluten and grain intolerance or allergies. I actually do have gluten intolerance, the grain part I made up but whatever works! People don't really question it b/c not many know about nutrition enough to argue!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I've started using "wheat doesn't like me." How can that be argued with? It's not an allergy, but it will have unplesant side effects. If they push, ask if they want details
    I get pleasure from watching people's faces when I share too much information (or tell them I don't like babies), so this would definately be my choice and I wouldn't wait until they push to start sharing the details, like how gassy it makes me. They'll run.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    First, remember the crab pot. They're all trying to pull you into the boiling water so you'll be at the same disadvantage. Realize that they are assaulting you, attempting to absolve their fears by seeing you fail, too. They NEED to know that everybody else is making poor choices, too, or they run out of a good excuse to keep eating themselves to death. It's not about you, it's about them. If you fold, you're telling them it's okay to die by the hands of corporate greed, that the government is free to kill us en masse with immunity. If you stand tall, and explain you're done being poisoned like a sheep, it SHOULD piss them off because they're AFRAID of the truth.

So tell them the truth, that they're all poisoning themselves, and start explaining that GMO grain crops are subsidized by the government, the dangers of monoculture and soil depletion, and the vulnerability of an economy based so heavily on simple grains - then, once you start explaining what Monsanto and other DNA-altering companies have done to make corn toxic, they'll stick their fingers into their eyeballs and run away screaming to mommy.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 04-27-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    What about "I'm eating for one now." As a guy, it's good, right?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast