Thread: Anyone having trouble squeezing in sprints? page

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member

Anyone having trouble squeezing in sprints?

Primal Fuel
    With my current workout schedule I have squats and deadlifts scheduled furthest apart. I like sprinting but if I stick them in somewhere they affect recovery. I am wondering if I should just say screw it and do them anyways. They do tend to tear up my quads though. Thoughts? Anecdotes?

Chrish2891 is offline Member
    Do them sometime after the day you squat. Your body will adapt over time to handle squats, deadlifts, and sprints in a week as long as you eat and sleep enough for recovery. Just dont go over board with the sprints at first, keep the volume on the lower side.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Do HIIT on a stationary biker an elliptical.

Could you try to switch up your squat and deadlift schedule?

If you are doing all the right things-stretching properly, warming up properly, etc.-and you are properly conditioned, your muscles should be able to handle a 10 to 12 min interval sprint workout a day or two days after your squat or deadlift workout.

When exactly are you doing squats and deadlifts during the week? How far apart are the two set?

I lift three days a week, T,Th and Sat. I cycle through 4 different workouts (A -squats, B-bench/chins, C-deads, D-press).
    So, my legs get 3-4 days rest depending on how the schedule falls into a particular week.

This may seem like a weird schedule but my wife and I rotate days to watch our daughter/dinner prep and such. And, the workouts have been cut down to maximize benefit/time ratio.

I have been sprinting on Sundays. I'm probably just being a pussy. I just started sprinting a month or so ago so it's most likely just adaptation. I guess I can try sprinting on a lifting day and see how it goes. I just feel like I am neglecting it because I don't want it to screw with squat/dead progression.

Well it sounds like you have can easily do an interval sprint on the second day after your leg workouts. A sprint workout, when you are conditioned properly and not just jumping into it without proper conditioning, should be pretty easy to recover from.

How old are you? Throughout my 20s till I was 35, I could pretty easily sprint on a regular basis and do all heavy leg weight training without any issues. I'm a natural hybrid sprinter/distance athlete though. And, I played a lot of basketball. My legs were made to sprint for a long time in my younger years. You just need to stretch properly and condition your legs properly. You will find that sprinting comes pretty easy and you don't even notice needing any time for recovery. Look at all the athletes out there that sprint all the time. They are also hitting the weight room hard throughout the week.

Again, age and conditioning will make a huge difference here.

I'm 38 and not an athlete. As far as conditioning goes, although I don't do them anymore, I have done several rounds of P90X, Insanity and Asylum and can run a 6 minute mile. Prior to a month ago, I never sprinted. And after my first couple times, my quads were pretty sore. Nothing crippling, just noticeable DOMS that lasted for 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I'm 38 and not an athlete. As far as conditioning goes, although I don't do them anymore, I have done several rounds of P90X, Insanity and Asylum and can run a 6 minute mile. Prior to a month ago, I never sprinted. And after my first couple times, my quads were pretty sore. Nothing crippling, just noticeable DOMS that lasted for 4 days.
    Dude, that's perfectly normal. You will adapt and notice those muscles no longer feel that sore. You just did something for the first time in your life, of course you are going to be that sore. Sprinting is wonderful. It feels awesome once you get conditioned for it. You will see your mile time go down significantly. Soon, you will notice all the benefits of sprinting and hopefully be hooked for life.

Just make sure you stretch properly. Do not stretch harder than you need to, ease your way into it. Also, check out Active Isolated Stretching. I have recently found this to be very effective in attempting to heal damaged and stiff muscles and tendons.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    In case it hasn't been mentioned swim sprints and heavy bag sprints are pretty awesome. I like heavy bag sprints about every other week. Great workout.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The whole point of sprints is to do them at the highest intensity you can muster. As you get stronger, you keep the intensity the same, so you will always have 3-4 days of recovery time needed, if that's what your body needs.

I've never been convinced that any machine can simulate movement as well as simply running.