Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie-Need Some Advice page

Newbie-Need Some Advice

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello,
    My name is Steve and I have decided to implement a plan to switch to primal. I can't do it all at once since my wife will certainly notice and she thinks (accurately) that I have tried so many things and this will be yet another failure in my eternal quest to get fit. She is very supportive but this time I want to earn that trust that this is not a fad diet like Atkins. Just trying to keep it under the radar long enough to prove it can be done and works. Leading by example kind of stuff. I also want to take it fairly slow so I do not draw attention of naysayers who will only try to derail me. Why do they do that anyway? Here is my initial plan on how to transition from the SAD diet to Primal.

Step 1
    Eliminate Grains
    -I feel I can get away with this as eliminating grains is not saying I am "eliminating carbs" which draws attention.

Step 2
    Eliminate sugar derived from processed foods
    -This means no processed creamers. Only half and half for my coffee. No ketchup. Nothing with sugar on the label or high fructose corn syrup.

Step 3
    Reduce fruit intake to once per day while increasing vegetable intake
    -I have about 50lbs to lose so I know I will need to eventually limit my fruit intake but for right now I will have fruit at least twice a day. Morning and lunch. Strawberries, Blueberries and an Apple or Pear mainly.

Step 4
    Budget permitting switch to grass fed/free range alternatives.
    -Hopefully I can find a cheaper alternative than Whole Foods. Any suggestions on this would be welcome.

I am about 6/1, 225 lbs. Not sure how to get 200+grams of protein in every day. I really don't like beef jerky but can eat eggs, chicken and beef all day long. I like bacon as well. Please let me know if I am on the right track with the above plan or if I should tweak it in any way.

Thanks!

Steve

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    You might be able to combine step 1 and 2 and just say you're eliminating "processed foods" almost all foods with grains are super processed which you can prove by showing someone the ingredients list.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Thank you Heidi! Good idea. They do go together.

erliechda is offline Junior Member
    Hey Steve,
    I'm pretty new here too, but let me just say congratulations! It's a great way to live and, while it's difficult at times, it will help you achieve your weight loss goals and feel great! Plus it'll do it faster than you've ever thought possible.

As to your plan, I would try to do grains and sugar all at the same time. When I first dabbled with this last year I tried to piecemeal it like that with grains. I felt really good, but I didn't lose much weight. This time I knocked out the sugars too and the weight just started to drop!

Having said that, if you can only do one at a time for whatever reason, it's better than not having made that change. Every step that you take with intention, is a step closer to where you want to be.

Good Luck!
    Mike

Much appreciated Mike! I have been "almost" grainless for a couple of days now and the carb flu is starting to set in. Makes it tough to sleep, cold sweats etc. I hope that goes away soon because the morning is not pleasant. I will toss my creamer today and buy organic half and half. No steak sauce, ketchup etc.

On another note, is Frank's Red Hot okay? I put that s?$!t on everything.

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    That is a great looking plan you've got there. I started in Sept 2010, 5'10ish dude, 45 yo. I've lost 47 lbs in about 7 months, from 274 to 227. I still eat fruit every day and always have. Main thing to cut, by a long shot, is flour/grains and added sugar. I eat a ton of bacon, eggs, sausage, beef, pork, cheese, whole raw milk, some veggies and some fruit.

One key for me that really helped push the process along early was eating lots of fat. Early on I ate chicken, turkey, beef jerky and other low fat meats. Once I started eating high fat foods every meal I felt a lot better. Now I eat plenty of fat with every meal, usually from red meat, but also from avocados or almonds or cheese.

You probably don't need 200+ grams of protein a day, probably more like 160-180. Just eat lots of meat and eggs and you'll be fine. My current fave is 3 fried eggs over a big pile of smoked grass fed brisket or pastured pulled pork. Grass fed ground beef and sausage is relatively cheap compared to grass fed steaks.

Also, work in a little movement. I walk 1/2 mile 3-6 times per day, stretch and do push ups and squats a couple of times per week. I went from doing less than 10 push ups to over 40 at a time. I'm also up to 2 pull ups. I also sprint about once per month and it really feels great and I ought to do it a little more often. A little exercise and movement goes a long way.

You're definitely off to a good start and the Primal Blueprint is so easy, you are never hungry, never feel deprived and you feel great. Congrats!!

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cardillo View Post
    Much appreciated Mike! I have been "almost" grainless for a couple of days now and the carb flu is starting to set in. Makes it tough to sleep, cold sweats etc. I hope that goes away soon because the morning is not pleasant. I will toss my creamer today and buy organic half and half. No steak sauce, ketchup etc.

On another note, is Frank's Red Hot okay? I put that s?$!t on everything.

I use Stubbs BBQ sauce, it is the only sauce I found at the regular grocery store without HFCS. It does have sugar, but not a lot and it is GOOD. If Frank's red hot makes your life better and you eat lots of meat then eat it.

Thanks Buffdv! Much appreciated. Love Stubbs so that works out nicely. Especially for chicken which red hot doesn't work too well for. I have joined my local Crossfit box so I punish myself for about 3-4 days per week.

Those are awesome results! 47 lbs in 7 months is really solid. Really encouraging. I'm looking forward to posting my results in about 3-4 months. My goal is to be at 200lbs by then.

What type of salad dressings are okay? Is it strictly O&V?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I sort of did the same thing as you because my boyfriend would certainly not like it. I focused my efforts on breakfast, lunch and my night to cook, which I had more control over.

We take turns cooking so his night to cook was hard for me until I finally broke the news and told him I wasn't eating any more wheat or sugar. The news was really hard on him and we had some tense nights when he would get mad because he didn't know what to cook that I would eat. I told him go ahead and cook whatever he wanted and I'd figure something out. I went to bed hungry many times, but that was okay. It took the pressure off and he started feeling okay with what I was doing and even started wanting to eat the stuff I was making instead of the Trader Joe's frozen entrees which used to be our normal every-day food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast