Thread: Lecithin page

Darz is offline Senior Member

Question Lecithin

There is a brand of rice spaghetti that has 1% of sunflower lecithin as ingredient - Could someone explain to me what it is.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    From what I have read lecithin is basically the sludge remains of oil production typically chemically retracted and contains solvents and pesticides. It used to be considered waste product in ..I think the 30s..then they decided hey why through this sludge away? Now it is used as a gummy substance to keep granola bars together and to keep water and fat from separating in processed foods. You will most commonly find soy lecithin which should be the same as sunflower lecithin just a waste product of sunflower oil production instead of soy beans.
    Last edited by statikcat; 04-27-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Also, you will read some people praise it for health benefits because it contains choline. Well .. so do a lot of natural whole foods. I swear some people judge health food soley on positives and ignore the negatives. Like if a turd was high on calcium there would be people praising it.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Soy lecithin is also in a lot of food, but really, it's such a small amount, I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on the larger issues (stuff higher up on the ingredients list) as long as your diet is fairly healthy overall.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Thanks for the responses - indeed it is a small amount, almost negligible - I might get the product cause it's cheaper than the other products.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Soy lecithin is also in a lot of food, but really, it's such a small amount, I wouldn't worry about it. Focus on the larger issues (stuff higher up on the ingredients list) as long as your diet is fairly healthy overall.
    It is in a lot of processed, wrapped, and boxed foods that mostly should not be ate anyway. Any ingredient list soy lecithin is on usually has many more ingredients that you should not eat. So ya a little soy lecithin isn't singularly a large issue but the products it is in are. It all depends on your personal limits of course.. but I think we should all be striving to mostly be eating real food.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    No matter what the product if it has over 5 ingredients I don't eat it. If it has over 8 (things for my OH) it does not get in my trolley. Them's my rules!

Why do you want fake pasta anyway? Buy a mandolin slicer and use zucchini strings - they are a delicious - and Primal - pasta substitute. They take the sauce quite well too.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well it's made from rice flour - there's nothing wrong with that, it's primal in my book - it's just pasta made with a different ingredient, texture is the same, flavour is basically the same by adding something like puttanesca sauce and it's gluten free.