Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mexican food - Corn, rice, flour... HELP page

c_bolton12 is offline Member

mexican food - Corn, rice, flour... HELP

Hey guys,

My friends and I are going out to dinner tonight and they picked this mexican place - the place seems pretty sensitive to gluten but everything has rice and corn. What do you all order when you go out for mexican?

Thanks!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_bolton12 View Post
    Hey guys,

My friends and I are going out to dinner tonight and they picked this mexican place - the place seems pretty sensitive to gluten but everything has rice and corn. What do you all order when you go out for mexican?

Thanks!
    Unless you're going out really often, just avoid the worst offenders and have a good time. If you eat some rice and corn tortillas and get back on track tomorrow, you'll be better off than if you stress and fret and post questions on the MDA forums. Just make sure you choose gluten free options and avoid rancid, oxidized PUFA's to the best of your ability.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    most mexican restaurants will usually have a meal with meat as the main course, and you can always ask for veggies or something as a side if you want. rice or potatoes aren't going to be that bad, and if you can handle corn there are worse things you could have. the bigger problem is what some of these foods might be cooked with, i.e. vegetable oils.

usually, when i'm out for mexican i'll go with carne asada, fajitas (without the tortillas) or something like that, but if i'm out with friends and having a good time, i'll indulge a little more and share the nachos or quesadillas the table is sharing.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I just order the fajitas and eat them with all the fixins but not the tortillas.

I think you would find it extremely difficult to avoid PUFAs at any mexican place though. I am sure they all use some kind of vegetable or canola oil instead of animal fats or butter. Whatever you do don't stress over the details otherwise it aint worth doing.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

c_bolton12 is offline Member
    Thanks guys! I try not to stress about it but wanted to ask in case there was a go to. I was in and out of the hospital for the 3 months before I found PB so I try to be as strict as possible as I've been healthy since I started in February.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Don't stress THIS is what the 80/20 rule is all about. Enjoy the time with your friends and avoid the worst of the poisons.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Don't forget the guacamole!

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    yeah, i do fajitas with no tortillas and try to get them to swap me out some guacamole salad for the beans/rice when I wind up at a messican joint.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Don't stress THIS is what the 80/20 rule is all about. Enjoy the time with your friends and avoid the worst of the poisons.
    Thread closed.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'd eat the rice and corn. The only thing I really try to avoid when I go out to eat is non-fermented wheat and soybean oil. Corn, white rice, beans, beer - they're fair game the once a month I eat out. This isn't a religion, it's about the best choices you can make at the time. 1 bad meal won't erase 50 good ones. The average American eats 50 out of 50 bad meals and still makes it to 75.

Tip: see if they have corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. Many corn tortillas are treated in lime (not lime juice, actual lime you buy at Home Depot from limestone) and it destroys the mycotoxin. Traditional Central American cultures would ferment the corn with the ashes of burned trees. Lime-treated corn tortillas are gluten-free and traditionally prepared and aren't all that terrible. If you want to wrap up a fajita, request corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-27-2012 at 07:42 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast