Page 5 of 100 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment page 5

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Weight and inches have gone up, I'm calling it water weight. I had a lot of salt yesterday, must have bloated up like a balloon. Why am I not in a dull panic?

I had amazing sleep last night. Wonderful beautiful deep sleep. I feel so good. I had a glass of iced black tea this morning, and now I've moved on to herbal. Mondawg posted a link to a thread about people who were having sleep difficulties on PB, and they said, "Try a small bit of carbs right before bed. Like a teaspoon of honey." I had half a bar of dark chocolate (now on verboten foods -- food that speaks to me from the fridge is not allowed in the house) and for the most part, I slept like a rock.

For reference, how I used to sleep:

sleepgraphmay7.jpg

Basically, not well, and not deeply.

How I slept last night:

sleepgraphmay14.jpg

A little wakefulness in the first few hours, and then a drop off into a cavern of delicious deep, remarkable sleep. This is a miracle.

Leptin Sensitivity Symptoms:
    *Refreshing sleep
    *No aches/pains (even if I have these, eating avocadoes and cod liver oil seems to stop these cold)
    *Feeling warm after a meal
    *Feeling warmer all around
    *Feeling calm

So now I just have to start LOSING weight and waking without an alarm, and I'm good! I started May 1 and had a rough first week with lots of cheats since it was my TOM, but I'm 2 weeks in and feeling pretty great about life. Once the waking without an alarm happens, I'm going to start the once-a-week sprints. FUN! THIS IS FUN! I feel sooooo good. So good.

My roommate K last night said she wanted to make me a flourless chocolate cake for my birthday and I said I wouldn't eat sugar, so she said she'd put sweetener in it. I said, "Sweetener is poison." She said, "Not a little bit." I said, "A little bit. Sweeteners are neurotoxins." She kept saying a little bit is okay. Here's what's okay: fresh fruits and fresh local cream with a glass of really good port. Let's do that instead. Maybe a square of the darkest chocolate.

I really am getting to the point where you can't talk me into eating sugars, sweeteners, veggie oil, or chemicals. Now I just need good body products. Anyone have a paraben and sulfate free shampoo that they love? I'm a curly-headed girl and everything leaves my hair either too dry or too greasy.

I have good natural body care wisdom to share in exchange! I wash my face with a mix of 50% castor oil and 50% jojoba oil (massage in, wipe off with a hot, wet washcloth) or honey (same way, only on naked skin though), and I use lemon juice as a toner every night. My skin looks AMAZING. All right. Cough up the shampoo secrets. I don't want to spend $20-30 a bottle on Deva NoPoo.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Oooh... love the face tips! I don't have a shampoo to recommend... I'm still using the salon versions... My sister is a cosmetologist and freaks out about what I put on my hair... Suave is TERRIBLE, but her stuff is not... Funny thing, my sister-in-law works for a personal care products company and when she was pregnant, she wasn't allowed to handle some of the materials used in body wash b/c they're dangerous to fetuses. And my husband works for the same company, but different bottle line, and said that some of the raw ingredients they use to produce the body wash will actually EAT THROUGH STAINLESS STEEL!! Um... ok... and then he wonders why I spent $3.50 on a homemade bar of soap... lol

Anyhow, sorry about that. I'm sorry I don't have any poo-less tips... only thing I know about is the baking soda and water followed by lemon juice or apple cider vinegar... neither of which I have tried. Apprehensive b/c my hair is long and tangles SOOO easily.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

So, I looked at the ingredients list of my pate. Modified cornstarch, dried milk, and sherry. I was trying to figure out why I'm all bloaty mcbloaterson, and I was reviewing yesterday's intake. I had to remind myself that cornstarch is corn, which is a grain, which I choose not to eat, for my better health and happiness. Which means I'll just have to learn how to make pate myself. My fancy vitamins also have both fructose and dried milk in them, so I may stop taking them, just to see what happens.

I have carb cravings today, which I imagine are from the chocolate I had last night, and perhaps the fillers in my pate. :-( So many things to be on the lookout for, all the time!

Weight aside, my life is a whole lot better.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

So... are berries in or out? Mark says they're low glycemic, which is what we're aiming for with the Leptin Reset, right? Well, part of it, anyway. Do you have something that says berries are out b/c I didn't find anything and I wanna do things right. Berries are good for me though b/c they help me avoid binges...

nevermind, I found it... I think I might ignore his advice to not eat berries... at least for a little while.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 05-15-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Lex26 blogged about various sensitivities to FODMAPS foods. (IBS triggers.) She suspected a coconut sensitivity and noticed an itching in her inner ears. :-( Yup, that's me. Don't know if it's coconut specifically, but might be useful to try an elimination diet.

Was super hungry today. I probably do better with my 62g breakfast.

On a side note, it's rainy and blah here in NYC, but my Vitamin D levels must be good because I'm just super chill and even happy!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

I got my roller skates and THEY ARE AWESOME! And they totally kicked my ass. I remember skating around the block for HOURS and I went one subway stop in Prospect Park, took a rest, and skated back. But it was super fun! And I can feel it in my legs! Still not sore though!

I slept TERRIBLY last night, and I felt repulsed by food this morning. I felt like I had a brick in my stomach. I went to bed feeling like I had a brick in my stomach. And I am quite bloated -- when I went skating last night the compression of the skates created basically a ledge from where there was no skate compression to where there was. A ledge. A huge drop off. Now I have a big huge line on my arm where I carried my lunch bag and it's taking forever to go away. I've got lemon ginger tea brewing because I can't stomach anything else. What did I have to eat yesterday -- normal lovely breakfast, pate in endive and sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon ends, almonds (which I had given up, but I was STARVING), and then sardines with mustard for dinner. Brick. In. My. Stomach. I was reading another thread about bloating, and someone said that they had given up all dairy except for a little bit of butter and when they gave up that 2 days later the bloat dropped. So, I didn't take my Fancy Vitamins (which have powdered milk as an ingredient) and because I cannot stand the sight of food, I didn't have my normal breakfast fried in butter. In April I used coconut oil and grapeseed oil to fry things, so I'll try to find a coconut oil that doesn't have an overwhelming coconutty taste. (It, with the applewood smoked bacon gets a little too sweet. I know.) Any suggestions? I think Jarrow is not very coconutty tasting, maybe I'll grab a jar of that. So, for breakfast I had 2 avocadoes with lime and salt for breakfast because it was the only thing in the world I could ever imagine wanting to eat. I hope today doesn't suck because I felt to gross to eat my BAB.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

I hope you're not getting sick!

I have no suggestions regarding coconut oil. I use Spectrum brand and to me, it tastes coconutty - but I like coconut. Love it, actually.

I hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I hope you're not getting sick!

I have no suggestions regarding coconut oil. I use Spectrum brand and to me, it tastes coconutty - but I like coconut. Love it, actually.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks! I hope I'm not getting sick either. I like coconutty taste when I eat the oil straight, and when I put it in my coffee, but not when it makes my savory breakfast sweet.

For lunch, I ordered a lamb burger (bunless) with roast fennel and a fried egg (I ordered it with pancetta, a roast apple, and kimchee too, but they forgot everything else). I don't know what they did to it, but now I'm dizzy, I feel a knot in my solar plexus, my heart is racing, and yet I'm extremely tired and sleepy. Man. I don't trust ANYONE to make my food.

Maybe I'll get a crock pot and make bone broth to heal up whatever is going on. UGH. I feel like I've been poisoned.
    Last edited by kalli889; 05-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

I've been reading PaleoBird's thread about portion control helping her out of a plateau (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501-1.html)

Basically, the idea being that once you've trained your body to run on fat, if you feed it all the fat it needs, why would it ever pull fat from its' stores? And also that one might need MORE protein. So I calculated it out according to her measures, and I might need 120g ptn a day. I already don't get all that hungry for more than one meal with <50 g ptn at breakfast and high fat, but that one day where I had 62 g at breakfast seemed to really hit the spot. My calories are already down to the 1500ish zone (I supposed I could maniacally track), so maybe I'll reduce my fat (a smidgen) while bumping up my protein. Oh, and no dairy. And probably no onions. I don't think they like me.

Also, paleobird mentions there being a time in her early paleo/pb days when she could eat a tablespoon full of coconut oil. Now, no more. MamaGrok says the same thing about butter. I think I'm leveling off as far as fat goes. The first time I ate a tablespoon full of coconut oil was an accident. I had extra on the butter knife I'd used to scoop some into the pan I was using to fry eggs. Instead of putting the excess back into the jar, I licked in -- and my brain was like WHAT SORT OF MIRACLE IS THIS? I ate like a qtr to a half of a jar of coconut oil before I felt satisfied. Now? No way. I think my stocks are good. I can definitely tell when I overdo it. It's weird when what worked the week before becomes too much, but that probably just means that I'm not deficient anymore.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's an interesting concept. I hadn't thought about that (the reaching our stores max with fats and what not).

I had thought about the whole reducing fat to eliminate fat once the body knows to use fat but, I would think that mark would have addressed this if that was the case. He would have said "Eat high fat, low carb now to switch the body. Then reduce fat and keep carbs low to burn fat off the body". But he didn't, so this makes me thing that PaleoBird's theory is incorrect. Certainly, that could be the rule for her, but I don't know that it would be proper for everyone. Certainly could be experimented with...

Page 5 of 100 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast