Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment page 49

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My mom had heart palpitations that scared her badly enough to go to the hospital recently, and her blood pressure is really high and keeps getting higher. She also has rheumatoid arthritis. She went grain-based vegetarian after she left my stepdad, and lost 10-15 lbs. Less junk food, less stress, more sun, lots of grains, legumes and fruits.

Because of the hospital visit and rising blood pressure, we had a living will conversation. I heard her and told her that she could write up a living will and I could receive it.

I also told her what paleo had done for me, and that keto had brought my blood pressure down so low that I HAD to take salt to stay upright, and that both had evened out my moods and given me a lot of energy. I said this is only my story, IF you are interested, and if not, that's okay too.

She said she's pretty happy with how she eats - granola bars and rice cakes and fruits and veggie soups. That sounds fairly Pritkin, yes? Without calling it that? She thinks her low energy and high blood pressure is from an unhappy work situation, and that when she resolves that, she'll resolve her blood pressure. That may be true. That may not. I don't have her metabolism or system, so I don't know. I just know what works for me. I know I was in an unhappy work situation and I lost weight and had energy with paleo. But again, that is only my experience.

So I'm just going to let it go. And eat high fat, low carb, and fight bears and make art.

MMMM, WHIPPED CREAM AND BLUEBERRIES!

UPDATE:

My mom told me that her doctor told her that she was absolutely not to have any coconut oil or avocado whatsoever.

I'm so mad. Doctors are so afraid of fat. Goddammit.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    You could point out that half of your genes come from her and your way of eating may work better for her because of that.

I keep wanting to say, "Kalli! You need to do/say 'this and that' to convince your mom!"

I understand the frustration

Have you tried pleading with her to give it a try for one month and that if it doesn't help she can go back to her other way of eating?

I hate that she's having all this trouble and you're having to sit by feeling like you have the answers to her problems and no one wants to hear the answers, and to top it all off she's being given out-dated dietary advice based on bad science.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    My MIL swore off coconut oil b/c she believes it raised her cholesterol... if only she truly understood the link between diet and cholesterol... so much outdated info out there. Hopefully you can find a way to get through to your mom.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

So this thing has happened where I eat about once a day, and maybe have a snack later. I'm not *trying* to eat this way, I'm just legitimately not hungry and disinterested in food most of the time.

Miracle of miracles! I'm not leptin resetting or In ketosis or doing a Whole30. Doesn't mean I won't do a Whole30 ever, but I'm just eating PB 80/20. I'm having a bacon and onion scramble in the morning with a side of tomatoes...and sometimes I don't finish it. And sometimes I don't eat until 1-3 in the afternoon. For my snack or second meal I might have a green smoothie, tuna salad, or deviled eggs. Again, I'm not trying to not eat! I'm lifting for strength gain every other day and making good progress: Weight's hovering around 185, but measurements are going down. Hmmm!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

it's so interesting how our bodies work. I still like to eat so I eat even when not legitimately hungry some days - or before I'm hungry most days. It'll be interesting to follow your progress.

I've been severely irritable off/on since I've been in KS. I've been reading about Ayurveda, and KS in summer is Pitta, and WA when I was there is Kapha. I'm more irritable (pitta) here and less prone to depression (kapha). I tolerate sugar better here, and am less interested in it, although too much still knocks me out. I can't have as much caffeine here without becoming extremely irritable (pitta). I don't do as well on high fats here.

I had a Pitta-pacifying breakfast of oatmeal with ghee, honey, and applesauce. This breakfast = feeling good + immediate hunger and craving + gas. Okay, no oatmeal for Kalli. I checked my dosha type, and I think I'm vata-kapha, which is pretty bipolar if you ask me.

It would be interesting to see an Ayurvedic nutritionist. Just had rice cooked in chicken stock and it was delicious. I'm waiting to see how well I tolerate it. We'll see...
    My Leptin Reset Journey

The rice gave me a pain. Felt like I had a large spiky rock in my stomach.

Had bulletproof coffee for breakfast today. I feel clear-headed and focused, but hungry as all get-out, and slightly nauseous. Can't have as much coconut oil here, or I feel like ralphing. Fat-heavy, with more greens and fruits? Twist my arm.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

It's so interesting seeing the paths you take trying to find your right combination. I had never heard of Ayurveda. I'll be looking into it. Thanks.

Recently my mom and my little brother have been saying I look like this relative or that relative. The common denominator? Those relatives are fat. Tonight my mom said, "You look like my sister L just now." When I was taken aback, she was like, "That's not a bad thing, why are you reacting that way?" Because. L is fat and looks like shit. Or I look like Aunt B or my Grandma J. Thanks, guys. Thanks a lot. I know I'm fat. Shut the fuck up.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Bought Horizon Organic HWC. It tastes like mucussy pus, like all of my nightmares from THE CORPORATION poured into a one pint carton of cream.

Ugh.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Page 49 of 97 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast