Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment page 4

kalli889 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying the blog thing.

Geesh! And I thought MY breakfast was packed with protein! You're kickin' arse with that!

Question... what is a V6?
    A V6 is rank for a bouldering problem (rock climbing). They start at V0 and go up, up, up! The last time I was climbing regularly, I was climbing V4s, and could START both V5s and V6s. It's nice to just START them. It took me a year to climb a V4, but I should have muscle memory. Climbing is super fun, I just need to work the gym into my budget. Slowly. Hopefully next month!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

BAB for today is a winner! I have sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon, and an 8oz steak for lunch, and I'm PICKING at it. PICKING. I scarfed down half the steak like nom nom nom, but now I'm picking at the rest. Wow. Just, wow. This after 6 hours of sleep, when I would normally be eating every sugary thing in sight. (And there's a LOT of sugar at work. A lot.) Chicken sausages FTW! And coconut oil...it's good to have you back.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    (What is FTW??)

I love my BAB - especially if I can delay eating it. I'm still not hungry for any lunch - but thinking about eating it anyway so I stop thinking about it.

I like rock climbing, but don't know of any places around here. Good luck with it!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Stepped back on the BAB today. 2 chicken sausages (42 g ptn), and 1.5 hardboiled eggs (9 g ptn) = 51 g ptn. I had 2 tbsp of coconut oil in my tea, mixed with turmeric and black pepper. I'm using mango black tea, and when that runs out, I'm sure I'll get mango green tea. I also had sauerkraut, and it was DELICIOUS. I think I'm going to start making my own sauerkraut. I spend about $6 a jar for raw, non-pasteurized local sauerkraut now, and since I already have a jar, I already have the cultures. So I can make my own, and only have to buy cabbage. MMM!

I read an article about the wonders of gelatin, and I picked some up after class last night: A shift in amino acid balance just may be what you need. | HoldTheToast! by Dana Carpender

I took a tsp before bed, and while my Sleep Cycle App says I woke up twice, I feel quite rested this morning. AND I went to bed at midnight! We don't have class next week, so I can work on my early-to-bed habit. (Excited!) I took a tbsp with my vitamins this morning, and I put another tbsp in with my vitamin powder that I'll take at lunch. I feel pretty good with it. We'll see how it continues to affect my sleep, skin, and joints. I'm actually quite excited about gelatin and bone broth, because I have bone bruises and a horrid old sprain which hasn't quite healed. I'm thinking WHAT IF I COULD HEAL MY SPRAIN? If I eat more gelatin and bone broth and all those goodies in it go to work on my sprain...I could balance my whole gait. I could heal my foot. That would be amazing. Well. I guess we'll find out! I've already learned that I LOVE the aspic on pate. I used to laugh at old cookbooks that displayed aspic molds. Like, whaaaat? Whaaaat is THAT? MEAT JELLO? EW! EW EW EW! Ha ha, those silly old old people, eating meat jello. What total weirdoes. Uhhh, until you try it and it's the most delicious thing EVER. OMG. I'm going to get one of those brain jello molds and make aspic. HA. I'm hilarious.

The weirdest thing happened yesterday. I woke up and the whole left side of my back hurt and I was hobbling around like an old person. And the only way it didn't hurt was if I stood with perfect posture -- not ramrod straight -- but with a relaxed floating spine. Then we did a relaxation exercise in my acting class, and the pain went away and I was still in a relaxed upright posture. That. Is way cool. So my posture is way better. And I haven't done anything but change my eating.

I have brussels sprouts and steak for lunch, although we're ordering in at work today. I saw lamb stew on the menu, and I might try it. Hopefully they left the bone in during stewing. Mmmmm...

Side note: the receptionist made a green smoothie and set it out for us. Uhhhh, I don't even have to make my own green smoothies? Wha? #goodlife

UPDATE: We had Indian food for lunch, and it was amazing! I didn't have any rice or bread, or any of the dishes in a creamy tomato base. I had lamb stew and chicken prepared 2 different ways, and palak paneer. (Spinach with a soft cheese -- so dairy) I feel SO GOOD. Very alert and clear-headed and energetic. An ex of mine used to get what he calls "curry comas" after Indian or Thai food, but if you cut out the rice and bread...no problem! I also skipped the fried okra bc it has a light breading. Who knows what that ish is! Could be poison grains...

DOUBLE UPDATE: Total curry coma. Nevermind, I lied. I'm ready to sleep. The happy alert feeling could have been a sugar high. The thing about eating out is I have no idea what's in it. It could have MSG or sugar or veggie oils. Who knows? WHO KNOWS? Poison food makes me an instant clockwatcher.
    Last edited by kalli889; 05-11-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

I think my roommate is reading this. We were watching TED talks about happiness last night, and I saw a tab with my journal name. Hi roomie!

Breakfast: 2 chicken sausages (42 g), 2 pcs bacon (4 g), 1 egg (6 g), 1 avocado made into guac with lime juice and salt. (MMM...) I made sun tea yesterday, and put it in the fridge, so coconut oil won't melt in that ish. But sun tea is SOOO good. I was reading about how water is more of a liquid crystal than a fluid, and that what comes out of the tap is more 20-H20, and that sunlight will rearrange the crystals into 5-H20 or 6-H20, and that is what our bodies absorb. That is supposedly why juicing is so good, because veggies and fruits arrange their water content into 5-H20 and 6-H20. My mom is having green juice every day. I think I'll buy a juicer with the Fancy Vitamin money next month! I keep wanting to buy a vitamix, but that's like a LONGTERM commitment. I think I'd need a weekend job just to buy my Vitamix.

Sleep is better when I take gelatin before bed. I don't know why that is, but it is better. So I'll continue with that.

I'm not getting sore anymore when I do my Tabata. I can TELL I've done Tabata, but I'm not sore. So that's another LS symptom!

*Not sore/achy
    *Restful sleep
    *Feeling warmth after eating
    *Feeling warmer in general
    *Feeling calmer/sleepier

I'm still not losing weight...just going up and down the same 2 pounds. When I was just doing PB before the LR, what really started dropping my weight was sleep. So...I have to have a bedtime. And I have to stick to it. No matter what. I AM losing inches. I lost another .25 inches off my waist last night (exciting!), and the rest seems to be holding. I had a glass of wine this weekend, and I've read that for some people alcohol can HALT ALL WEIGHT LOSS for up to two weeks (scary!) so I'm gonna keep that to a minimum.

I bought a pair of roller skates and I am SO EXCITED about them. I can't wait until they get here. I was telling C that when I was little girl I used to roller skate around the block for hours, listening to Billy Joel. She was like, "That is so ADORABLE." Ha ha ha ha ha. So I ordered some on Amazon, just straight up, 4-wheel old skool rink skates (inlines freak me out). I can't wait to go out and roller skate in the park while listening to tunes. That idea turns me on far more than just going for a walk.

Still not falling asleep right away, and I think it's caffeine's fault. I'm going to buy a 6 pack of Dreamwater tonight, and go to town with it. I've already bought and returned 2 sets of blackout curtains. I think the problem is, I want white curtains, and if I want true white blackout curtains, I'm going to have to shell out some dinero for them. Bleah.

I've been reading a lot about the dangers of vegetable oil, and it made a lot of sense to me. (Source: DEEP NUTRITION) So I'm cooking only with butter for now, until I can find some grass-fed lard or tallow. I still don't know if I'm allergic to casein -- someday I'll shell out the cash to know for sure. I save my coconut oil for eating straight (nom nom nom) or taking in my tea or coffee.

DEEP NUTRITION also says that if you're gluten-sensitive, you're all gluten-sensitive. You can't be a little bit gluten-sensitive, like you can't be a little bit alcoholic. You are or you aren't.

I've been reading THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA, and I've been wondering if the use of ammonium nitrate in farming is a contributor to grain allergies. It's just not natural -- using a petrochemical to fertilize grain to feed to a grass-eater to feed to us. We're basically converting barrels of oil into meat-like substances which we then eat. Bleah.

I'm just inhaling books and movies about food and nutrition. I've read Robb Wolf's book, Mark Sisson's book, DEEP NUTRITION, am reading THE OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA. I've watched INGREDIENTS, FAT, SICK AND NEARLY DEAD, and FORKS OVER KNIVES. KING CORN is next on my list.

Endive leaves are my new crackers. I bought baby endives and made little hors d'ouvres with pate scooped into endive leaves. I brought those and sardines for lunch, and there is arugula here for a side salad. I'm feeling very pleased with myself about my new crackers.

How is everyone else doing today?
    Last edited by kalli889; 05-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

I use leaf lettuce or romain leaves for taco shells! Lettuce is such a wonderful thing.

I'm glad you're feeling so well. I can't wait until I exhibit the discipline needed to reach those same milestones. I allowed too many freedoms last week/weekend and fully intend to kick it into high gear this week. I won't be so strict on my carbs (last week I was aiming for fewer than 50 per day and I think that's what set me up for failure), but I plan to follow the PB to a tee to ensure I hit this LR.

Pate on endive gives me this nice alert "plugged in" feeling. I feel very awake and alive. Must be all those vitamins and fat.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I use leaf lettuce or romain leaves for taco shells! Lettuce is such a wonderful thing.

I'm glad you're feeling so well. I can't wait until I exhibit the discipline needed to reach those same milestones. I allowed too many freedoms last week/weekend and fully intend to kick it into high gear this week. I won't be so strict on my carbs (last week I was aiming for fewer than 50 per day and I think that's what set me up for failure), but I plan to follow the PB to a tee to ensure I hit this LR.
    I think the thing is, when I eat enough to really feed my body, staying away from grains and sugar doesn't feel like discipline. I got a few sugar cravings in the beginning, and I had the ACTUAL flu while I was going through the carb flu, so I got to take time off work to lay around and watch TV and heal. I haven't been a paragon of PB virtue -- I've had a glass of wine and my GI boxing match with a plate of nachos and some margaritas (I lost). I think if anything it's HOW TERRIBLE, BLOATED, AND HUNG OVER I feel when I have grains or sugar and that lead me to avoid them. I've also structure my life so that I don't have a lot of outside pressure to eat non-primal foods. I don't talk about it (except with C), and for the duration of the Reset, I'm not really going to parties or out to dinner. "If you don't want to slip, don't go where it's slippery!" I also have most of my meals planned out, and I have easy meals available (sardines, jerky) if I need something fast. I do all my thinking in advance so I don't get overwhelmed and lost without a plan if I do get hungry. But now when I'm hungry it's like, "Oh, I could eat I guess", as opposed to MUST EAT NOW EVERYTHING IN SIGHT ALL AT ONCE! Way more chill. It doesn't rule me anymore.

Honestly, I'm so full and in raptures over my silkily decadent breakfasts of bacon and avocadoes (and eggs and sausages) and lunches of salmon, steaks and pate (raptures, I tell you), that cheats really don't affect me. I think PrimalCajun wrote "Nothing tastes as good as feeling this good feels." And it's true, at least for me. But hang in there! Progress, not perfection.
    Last edited by kalli889; 05-14-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

I have a chiropractor who has been paleo for 2 years and she said weekends are still tough for her. I think it's the lack of structure that comes with the weekend that makes it tough... and it's not so much b/c there's no "good" food around... it's that the "bad" food is around. During the week, it's easy. I pack my lunch and that's what's available to me... nothing else. At home, not so much...

When I first started, it was easy to stay on track... now that I'm a few weeks in, it's like my resolve is slipping b/c I'm allowing sugar and the old carby goodness in... it might be boredom too. Sitting around at home is sometimes pretty boring. sure there's lot to do, but what's exciting about doing dishes or sweeping the floor when I can flop on the couch and watch DIY network during the kids' nap and eat junk food?? lol

And then there's the stress and frustration that comes with having young kids. They've lost their structure on the weekends too, so they're a bit more whiney, more easily bored, get into more trouble, etc, and then the emotions take over.... "oh, I'm stressed and overwhelmed because my kids are being brats??? How 'bout we eat this big ol' chocolate bunny..." lol

But, you're right. Nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels. And I need to remember that. I need to remember that stress will be easier to handle if I keep my body fueled properly. Sugar doesn't make the stress go away. In fact, there isn't a food on the planet, "good" or "bad" that will make the stress go away. So, I guess like I have to do with my kids, I have to practice redirection on myself.

The Health Benefits of Sardines: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...healthbenefits

So, I was talking to my mom last night, and I was telling her that I discovered that I loved sardines. She said, "You always loved sardines, even when you were little!" I was like, no, that was kippered herring...come to find out, sardines are tiny herrings! So, she's right. I've always loved sardines.

One can of sardines can give you 50% of the EPA and DHA that you need, and lots of Vitamin D and B12. They're low on the food chain (they only eat plankton) so they don't accumulate contaminants the way large carnivorous fish do. And they're very sustainable. So wins all around!
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast