Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Kalli's Leptin Reset Experiment page 10

kalli889 is online now Senior Member

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I was diagnosed with Adult onset ADD (which the doctor said was likely missed when I was a kid b/c I didn't have problems in school). I took Adderall XR for it for a little over a year. No weight loss. (boo hisssss!) I found that the Adderall actually made my depression worse - I reached a point of being suicidal while taking the Adderall and decided enough was enough. I stopped taking it and the depression improved - despite my psychiatrist saying Adderall doesn't cause depression. Ok, maybe not for the general public it doesn't, but for me it did. ANYHOW, one of the things I've noticed about Primal (when I'm really good about following the rules) my focus is there and distractions are minimal. Stress is lower b/c I'm not as overwhelmed by things... but again, this is when I'm following the rules and being 100% primal.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I was diagnosed with Adult onset ADD (which the doctor said was likely missed when I was a kid b/c I didn't have problems in school). I took Adderall XR for it for a little over a year. No weight loss. (boo hisssss!) I found that the Adderall actually made my depression worse - I reached a point of being suicidal while taking the Adderall and decided enough was enough. I stopped taking it and the depression improved - despite my psychiatrist saying Adderall doesn't cause depression. Ok, maybe not for the general public it doesn't, but for me it did. ANYHOW, one of the things I've noticed about Primal (when I'm really good about following the rules) my focus is there and distractions are minimal. Stress is lower b/c I'm not as overwhelmed by things... but again, this is when I'm following the rules and being 100% primal.
    Ha ha. I'll admit, I've been tempted to persuade my doctor to give me a script for Adderall even without a diagnosis because of the supposed weight loss benefits . . . but I don't like taking medicine for anything if I can avoid it, even headaches and my bad hay fever, so I think Adderall would end up being a waste of money.

But that's good to know about the stress stuff. I'm an anxious person, and I don't like being anxious. Though I've learned to cope with my scattered attention quite well, having less anxiety would definitely be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli889 View Post

***Now that I've reminded myself -- I think I'll pick up a new copy of ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
    I'm adding it to my list of books to read!

My dad is a psychologist, and he's the one always saying I've got ADD . . . though I'm not hyperactive, just fidgety (got that RLS thing going) . . . it wasn't until we were talking about organizing behaviors for ADD and autistic kids in a class I took on serving children and families with special needs that I started to agree with my dad. I'd like to get an official diagnosis just so I can request changes in my work environment if needed and not be told "no" . . . thanks, ADA. I do think my ADD contributed to the frustration I felt at the one job I ever left on bad terms.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

As a psychologist, your dad can diagnose you. I was diagnosed by a psychologist.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    As a psychologist, your dad can diagnose you. I was diagnosed by a psychologist.
    He can, but he can't. He has the ability to do the testing as a license psychologist, however it would be an ethical violation to practice on family. He can refer me to someone though.

(If, God forbid, I ever took an employer to court for an ADA violation regarding my ADD the diagnosis would called into question if it was made by my dad, since he may have ulterior motives. He could also lose his license).
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

I see. I knew drs weren't allowed to practice on family, but I thought that was for more serious stuff like surgery, etc. I can see the logic.

Does he have a "friend" who would issue the diagnosis without making you pay a fee?

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Ha ha. I'll admit, I've been tempted to persuade my doctor to give me a script for Adderall even without a diagnosis because of the supposed weight loss benefits . . . but I don't like taking medicine for anything if I can avoid it, even headaches and my bad hay fever, so I think Adderall would end up being a waste of money.

But that's good to know about the stress stuff. I'm an anxious person, and I don't like being anxious. Though I've learned to cope with my scattered attention quite well, having less anxiety would definitely be a good thing.

I'm adding it to my list of books to read!

My dad is a psychologist, and he's the one always saying I've got ADD . . . though I'm not hyperactive, just fidgety (got that RLS thing going) . . . it wasn't until we were talking about organizing behaviors for ADD and autistic kids in a class I took on serving children and families with special needs that I started to agree with my dad. I'd like to get an official diagnosis just so I can request changes in my work environment if needed and not be told "no" . . . thanks, ADA. I do think my ADD contributed to the frustration I felt at the one job I ever left on bad terms.
    I've read a lot of things that say that girls express ADD differently than boys. They can go inward and be really quiet, or stare out the window into la la land, and because they're being quiet, they're not causing the classroom disruptions that get the boys noticed and diagnosed. Girls With ADD - Why It Is So Often Missed

In girls, the disorganization and distraction results in lack of activity--they are just too confused to get things started, and instead are often described as daydreamers.
    In general, girls are much more likely to have ADD without the hyperactive component. This is in contrast to ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) that boys tend to have. Because a girl isn't disruptive in the classroom, her problem does not create the same need for an immediate solution. As a result, her inability to focus and complete work is likely to be overlooked as a symptom of a more complex issue - and instead is blamed more on lack of discipline or motivation on her part.

A girl with ADD has fewer learning problems in early grades than her male counterparts. Boys often get diagnosed through evaluation of learning problems. Girls with ADD, especially those with high intelligence, may actually be good students and/or well-behaved - and as a result raise absolutely no alarms that anything may be amiss.

When girls with ADD do not conform to social roles, it is often described in gender-specific terms, rather than as a medical problem. They are labeled tomboys or flighty as girls, and boy-crazy or party girls as teens. Again, girls are more likely to meet social pressure to conform, rather than recognition and treatment of a disease.

Often girls with ADD are misdiagnosed with depression. The symptoms of ADD and depression overlap: low energy levels, disorganization, social withdrawal, and trouble concentrating. Even more confusing, the unrecognized ADD can lead to major coping problems, which in turn lead to actual depression on top of the ADD.

Typical signs of ADD in girls include:

Difficulty maintaining focus
    Easily distracted
    Disorganized and “messy”
    Forgetful
    Difficulty completing tasks
    Daydreaming
    Slow to process information and directions (It may even appear that they aren’t hearing you)
    Careless
    Often late (poor time management)
    OMG...SO me.
    Last edited by kalli889; 05-29-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

Sounds like me too. I am late for everything! I hear but don't process directions (especially directions to a place), I'm messy as hell! You should see my house! All of those pertain except maybe the daydreaming part.

Sounds like me too. I am late for everything! I hear but don't process directions (especially directions to a place), I'm messy as hell! You should see my house! All of those pertain except maybe the daydreaming part.
    Easily distracted
    Disorganized and “messy”
    Forgetful
    Daydreaming
    Slow to process information and directions (It may even appear that they aren’t hearing you)
    Careless
    Often late (poor time management)
    So out of these, I am/have:

Easily distracted
    Disorganized
    Forgetful
    Daydreaming
    Careless

I think my mom probably has ADD, too, now that I think of it. She used to forget to pick me up from swim practice or soccer games. I used to be really offended, but since I'm learning about how my own brain is out of whack, I'm learning to be a lot more compassionate and forgiving. Especially since I am no longer dependent upon her for transportation.

I used to be a lot messier and late to things, but I use routines from Flylady.net to work on that. I used to be late all the time to everything, and then I was blessed with a few friends who were AN HOUR LATE TO EVERYTHING. We'd go out to dinner? We'd wait for them for an hour. We'd make plans to go to a party? We'd wait for an hour. We'd plan on a movie? We'd miss the first showing and have to go to the next one. I got so annoyed and starting telling them to be everywhere an hour before they were supposed to be somewhere. And I started using a planner myself and just blocking out travel and prep time to get to places on time. It is also TOTALLY TABOO to be late in the film industry. TOTALLY. They will fire you in a minute. And Flylady has given me routines and little slogans like "Do it now!) to cut down on clutter and general messiness. Some of my friends think I'm kind of a neat freak now, which is funny.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast