Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Menopause and primal dont mix page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Menopause and primal dont mix

Primal Fuel
    Im now convinced that eating primal and going through the menopause actually makes things worse.
    Im getting heavier and thicker waisted by the day!
    At first I lost size (but not weight) but I think it was probably water. However, that has gone back on and worse.
    I dont want to give up and go back to low fat but I cant see there being any other option as I desperately dont want to get any heavier!

Can anyone give any sensible advice that might change my mind and help shift the inches from my waist - or at very least stop any more inches going on?
    Im getting really depressed about it.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, here is some sensible advice.

1. start counting calories -- eat a moderate or proper amount for your body. that might mean even going 'sub caloric.' Maybe you want to restrict down to a certain number, like 1300 or 1500 a day.

2. consider not being very low carb (VLC) and keep your daily carb amounts to between 50 and 100 grams -- which is what the PB says it he optimal weight loss zone;

3. figure out the right ratios for you -- you might be lower fat than the next person. that's ok. figure out what is right for you.

4. get enough rest and movement -- no excuses.

In regards to the rest, there are a lot of areas where people go amiss. For example, wine. Look, i think wine is a wonderful thing -- i don't drink it myself, but it's still wonderful. Some people find it so wonderful that they drink a half a bottle or more every day with dinner. Yeah, that really messes with your caloric amounts. And if you offset your alcohol calories by not eating (you know, taking in liquid calories instead of food calories), then guess what? not enough nutrition.

I'm not say this is you. I have no clue how you eat or what. Maybe it's your 20% is too high. Maybe it's that you eat "primal bread" and other things like this that are really treats and not really all that primal (imo). I know a lot of primal (women in particular) who go for the primal junk foods and treats, and do not get the results that they seek. Seems pretty obvious to me, but to them, not so much.

So, here goes: describe your day/week and BE HONEST with us.

I monitor my food intake religiously and track it using paleotrack. Carbs are approx 20%, fat 70%, protein 10%.
    I dont drink at all, and eat veg such as cabbage or broccoli at every meal.
    Calories are usually between 1500 and 2000 daily.
    I dont cheat AT ALL, nor eat paleo bread or other 'junk' foods. I couldnt be better if I tried!
    Ive cut out nuts in desperation to lose some weight but it hasnt made the slightest bit of difference!

Praps Im just a freak of nature or doomed to be fat!

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Do you eat dairy? I noticed several people said they had problems losing until they cut out the dairy.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Do you eat dairy? I noticed several people said they had problems losing until they cut out the dairy.
    Yes I do - quite a lot of it really. If I cut out dairy, my diet will be very restricted wont it?
    I dont seem to have any health problems with eating dairy though, and my gut health is vastly improved from having Kefir on a daily basis.
    Also, is there any scientific reason for dairy stopping weight loss?

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I second zoebird's advice. Your ratios sound okay. I am a 44 yr old Perimenopausal woman. I have been Primal for 18 months.

A few things.
    1) How long have you been eating this way? If you are under 6 months, then you haven't given it enough time.
    2) Do you exercise?
    3) You can't know if dairy is affecting your weightloss unless you drop it. I did not have any "problems" with dairy, but when I dropped it, my weightloss restarted. I have dropped most fruit and all dairy because of the body's insulin reaction to those items.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

hummingbird is offline Junior Member
    Thinking about the calories. . .

I'm 53, post-menopausal (which may be an advantage) and 5' 3". I can maintain my weight (around 125 or below) at 1500-1800 calories, but can't lose unless I drop below that. My macro ratios are similar to yours. However, I really had a hard time losing in the few years where I still had sporadic TOM, and tried to at least maintain, to little avail. For now, intermittent fasting has been really helpful with calorie reduction--easier than restricting calories every day. I lost pretty quickly when I first started paleo-style eating, but when that slowed, I really did have to deal with calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post

A few things.
    1) How long have you been eating this way? If you are under 6 months, then you haven't given it enough time.
    2) Do you exercise?
    3) You can't know if dairy is affecting your weightloss unless you drop it. I did not have any "problems" with dairy, but when I dropped it, my weightloss restarted. I have dropped most fruit and all dairy because of the body's insulin reaction to those items.
    I have been eating primal 10 weeks now and it gets so depressing reading about people that have dropped masses of weight in that time.
    I have to admit I dont exercise much due to hip bursitis, and often wonder if this is my problem.
    Im not sure if dairy affects my insulin levels as I test for keytones via a blood tester and the readings on that remain the same before and after dairy consumption. Surely this would change if I had an insulin problem??

I never saw a reaction in blood sugar, but my experience shows that there is some reaction.
    May i ask why you are testing for keytones?

How many grams of carb are you getting daily?
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Also, I have exercised throughout my Primal journey and it has been very important. Even something small would make a difference.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast