Thread: Is it just me or do vegetables taste better? page

Vegemighty is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been on the primal blueprint plan for a few weeks now, and I've noticed that vegetables have started tasting better. Before, when I was still eating alot of flour based products and sugar, I thought vegetables were the worst. I couldn't even stand the smell of broccoli. Now it seems that vegetables taste good.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Is there something about the primal diet which makes them taste better or is it jst that without any of the forbidden products that everything else tastes better without the comparison?

Food for thought

Athena is offline Senior Member

I think a big thing for me was trying different vegetables ive never tried, different combonations, spices, etc. Now I can't get enough veggies. Steak salad is my new favorite food. My fiance laughs at me because I will scarf down a balsalmic salad in 4minutes yet itll take me 20 minutes to pick all the toppings off of pizza if we order it. Definitely used to be the opposite.

But yes, come to think of it, being PB has made veggies more appetitzing. Thats why i could never go ZC i think.

emmcubed Guest

I've always liked vegetables, but I've noticed their taste is far more profound because my palate isn't tainted with processed goop anymore. I joked the other day that I actually enjoyed a mineral water for the first time in my life.

I'm with you.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Veggies have always tasted pretty good to me, but after going Primal I've found them to be just fabulous. I think it's because without all the "interference"/inflammation from flour/sugar your body can really tell what's good now. Nice!

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

I'd say its the newfound sensory appreciation for whole, natural foods, not camouflaged by processed oils and salt. That and the glorious fat its cooked in.

As I say, bacon fat makes everything better.

avocado is offline Senior Member

I think you start to be able to appreciate sweetness in vegetables when your sweet tooth isn't overwhelmed anymore.

jostle is offline Senior Member

Fruit is a lot sweeter also, almost to the point of tasting like candy. Before they seemed to only have a faint sweet taste. If you can get it fresh local produce kicks it up another notch. Most the stuff we get from the local farmers market seems to have ten times the flavor of the store stuff.

cyberaly is offline Junior Member

agreed... fruit is almost TOO sweet now and i appreciate the sweetness of most veggies now. my "sweet" taste buds are not blunted by the constant barrage of sugar.

I actually confound a lot of people because the 1/2 and 1/2 i use in my coffee is more than enough sweetness. i credit that to low-carb living. (the whole caffeine/dairy issue aside.)

verdilak is offline Member

I've noticed the same. Especially at how sweet some veggies are compared to how dull they used to taste.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

I never thought I would drool over mushrooms. Now I know vegetables are delicious. A year ago, I thought people who said they loved vegetables were lying.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)