Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cooking oil alternatives page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

cooking oil alternatives

Primal Fuel
    My family is Chinese and my mom cooks everything in canola oil. I've been trying to get her to change her oil, but she says there aren't really other alternatives, especially for chinese-cooking. She lives in Hong Kong, and readily available cooking oils are peanut, corn, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, and sesame. She refuses to use sesame oil because it's too 'heating'.

Any suggestions on what kind of oil would be good to use for chinese cooking?

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Any suggestions on what kind of oil would be good to use for chinese cooking?

A refined coconut oil wd.n't impart the perhaps undesirable coconut flavour, in this instance at least, and wd. be appropriate for hi-heat cooking.
    Last edited by Terry H; 04-26-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: sp

peril is offline Senior Member
    Also refined palm oil is little flavour and it good for high heat cooking. Unfortunately, palm plantations are replacing natural habitat in SE Asia, so its not a good option from an ecological view
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I use Ghee for pretty much all my cooking.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Ghee is the best choice if they don't want the flavor of coconut oil and palm oil, but you have to render it yourself most likely. At that point, they may as well render their own lard or tallow, and it sounds like they're too lazy to do so.

You could probably use pure olive oil (extra virgin may be too strong), avocado oil or high oleic sunflower oil (MUST be high oleic - its lipid profile is similar to olive oil's but flavorless, although it lacks the healthy phenolic content). None are ideal, but it's infinitely better than the alternatives.

I love these people that way there's "no other choice." There are dozens of choices, they just don't give a damn.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They just started selling high oleic sunflower oil. 12g of fat out of the 14g of total fat is monounsaturated and it has next to no PUFA or SFA. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's very inexpensive and better than many alternatives. Honestly, I'd just use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil since they're readily available, but if they're going to whine about the subtle flavor, this would be an improvement.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-26-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

My family lives in Hong Kong, and ghee and coconut oil are hard to find. I'm going to try looking for palm oil.

Olive oil is also readily available but is it okay for stir-frying?

Ghee and coconut oil are hard to find here in Hong Kong. Olive oil is readily available as all those oils I listed, but is it okay for stir-frying?

My mom does everything by the CW book, eats low fat, avoids red meat, and only uses vegetable oil. When I advised her to change those aspects of her diet, she took out a pamphlet that the HK Government hands out about how to battle cholesterol, and said I'm telling her all the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Ghee is the best choice if they don't want the flavor of coconut oil and palm oil, but you have to render it yourself most likely. At that point, they may as well render their own lard or tallow, and it sounds like they're too lazy to do so.

You could probably use pure olive oil (extra virgin may be too strong), avocado oil or high oleic sunflower oil (MUST be high oleic - its lipid profile is similar to olive oil's but flavorless, although it lacks the healthy phenolic content). None are ideal, but it's infinitely better than the alternatives.

I love these people that way there's "no other choice." There are dozens of choices, they just don't give a damn.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They just started selling high oleic sunflower oil. 12g of fat out of the 14g of total fat is monounsaturated and it has next to no PUFA or SFA. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's very inexpensive and better than many alternatives. Honestly, I'd just use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil since they're readily available, but if they're going to whine about the subtle flavor, this would be an improvement.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    she took out a pamphlet that the HK Government hands out about how to battle cholesterol, and said I'm telling her all the wrong things.

That's because, obviously, the government cares more about her than you do.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    That's because, obviously, the government cares more about her than you do.
    Love the humor on this forum

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    Ghee and coconut oil are hard to find here in Hong Kong. Olive oil is readily available as all those oils I listed, but is it okay for stir-frying?

My mom does everything by the CW book, eats low fat, avoids red meat, and only uses vegetable oil. When I advised her to change those aspects of her diet, she took out a pamphlet that the HK Government hands out about how to battle cholesterol, and said I'm telling her all the wrong things.
    If you're looking for the fatty intersection between primal and CW, Olive Oil is definitely it.

And luckily, apparently it doesn't get damaged that much when you cook with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast