Thread: Liver recipe that I don't hate :) page

jammies is offline Senior Member

Liver recipe that I don't hate :)

Primal Fuel
    I made this recipe tonight with some slight modifications using calf liver. I usually HATE liver and have tried about 15 recipes so far. I force myself to eat it whenever possible because of the health benefits. I don't know if it is the recipe or the fact that I used calf liver (have tried beef, sheep, and chicken livers in the past), but I have to say this was actually not too horrible. I can definitely eat this once a week. I topped it was LOTS of fresh chopped cilantro and lemon and had a little port to go along with it

Crispy Spiced Chicken Livers | theclothesmakethegirl
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    That sounds great. I've copied and pasted the recipe and will try them soon. Thanks for posting.

Here is another chicken liver recipe that I love. I did doctor it up a bit, such as adding bacon.

4-5 slices of bacon
    1 c. finely sliced onions
    2 whole cloves
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 lb. chicken livers
    2 tsp. ground sage
    2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Pick over the chicken livers and remove any tough veins. Quarter the livers. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Fry the bacon until it is crispy.
    Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet; add onions and cloves, salt, and pepper. Toss and stir over medium heat for about 10 minutes. The onions should be browned and soft. Discard the cloves; keep the onions warm.
    Crumble the bacon into bits.
    Heat 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the livers one at a time.
    Cook, turning the livers as they brown. One batch of livers takes about 4-5 minutes to cook. Add the cooked onions, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook, shaking the skillet and tossing the livers so they will heat throughout. Add the vinegar and bacon bits; stir and blend well for about 2 minutes.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

I made the liver recipe again last night and this time I made this sauce to go with:

salt and freshly-ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
    2 teaspoons gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    4 cloves garlic
    1/4 inch piece of garlic
    large handful of cilantro

Process everything in food processor or blender. Toss on the freshly cooked liver bits. I also used the same sauce to roast some marrow bones and some chicken legs. They all turned out really great!

So I managed to eat liver twice this week and bone marrow. I feeling primally quite proud
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Pomegranate is offline Junior Member
    Does the liver actually come out crispy?

LOL @ the forcing oneself to eat liver thing. I just make liver today for the same reason. Will try this next time!

Yes - it gets a little crispy on the outside - not super crunchy, but still pretty good. I fry it in ghee so it also has a nice buttery taste too.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    oooh! I'm so glad you posted this! Liver is on my list to make this week, I wasn't going to do fried...clothesmakethegirl also has a lemon parsley one I was going to try. This looks great though. I may have to try it first!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

kml
    kml is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Proudly announces: Made a non-hidden liver dish today, which actually tasted really good. And it is quite simple too. I usually mince and hide any sort of liver in a meatloaf.
    My hypothesis was that chicken liver when sauteed with sweet tasting veggies like carrots and leek would take on some of the nice flavours. Did work out the way I wanted
    recipe: Sautée shallots, carrots and onions in CO until almost tender. Add chicken liver, fry briefly from both sides. Add fried egg on top.