Thread: Dang joint pains are keeping me from going primal! page

Michael Thompson is offline Junior Member

Question Dang joint pains are keeping me from going primal!

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I have really had success with the nutrition aspect of the primal blueprint. It has given me lots of energy and has awakened my primal instincts to move! I have never been fit in my whole life. 46 years old now, and starting at the very first level of the 4 primal movements. Unfortunately, the SAD life style has really messed up my joints. i try to do pushups, and I get pain in my elbow, I cannot do squats because my hip cannot bend even 90 degrees because of osteoarthritis has eaten away all my cartilage in the right side, I can do like half a squat, but that makes my knees hurt. I cannot do a pullup, but I have never been able to, so that doesn't suprise me. I can do the chair assisted pullups though, so mabye there is hope there. The plank is the only one i can do pain free.
    What should I do, try to work through the pain and hope that as I get stronger, it will go away? I am guessing the answer is no. But what do i do, should I stop the moment I feel pain starting? Oh I wish I found out about this 25 years ago, it would have been a lot easier!

Big Jim is offline Senior Member
    Try turmeric. I take two capsules daily and along with eating primal it has really helped with joint pain and inflammation. I spent years doing lots of high impact stuff (Army infantry, rugby, MMA) and figured my knees were shot, but now they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Try turmeric. I take two capsules daily and along with eating primal it has really helped with joint pain and inflammation. I spent years doing lots of high impact stuff (Army infantry, rugby, MMA) and figured my knees were shot, but now they're fine.
    Thanks for the tip Big Jim! I will look into that!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    How long have you been primal? Do you still dabble with grains?

I ask because my pain from bone on bone arthritis of the knee went away after giving up grains and sugar.. It returns if I dabble.

Have you had a hs-CRP test done to check your level of inflammation?

jammies is online now Senior Member
    Make sure your vitamin D3 levels are good. You may want to try a very strict trial with no nightshades for a few weeks. Some people have great improvement in joint pain from eliminating them (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers (watch out for paprika - it is hidden everywhere), tomatillo).
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    How long have you been primal? Do you still dabble with grains?

I ask because my pain from bone on bone arthritis of the knee went away after giving up grains and sugar.. It returns if I dabble.

Have you had a hs-CRP test done to check your level of inflammation?
    Hi Marcadav,
    About three months now, but only went grain free for the last month. I plan on staying grain free from now on, as I really have no desire to eat it, I just thought I had too, now I know better haha So how long did it take grain free before you noticed a difference?
    I have been taking rx grade fish oil for 3 years now with good results, I could barely walk and needed a cane, Drs (3 of them) said i would only get better with a hip replacement! Well, they were wrong, I am a lot better walking unassisted and do stairs, and do not need any meds either, so I am a bit skeptical of seeing them anymore
    I have had no tests for level of inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Make sure your vitamin D3 levels are good. You may want to try a very strict trial with no nightshades for a few weeks. Some people have great improvement in joint pain from eliminating them (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers (watch out for paprika - it is hidden everywhere), tomatillo).
    Hmmm I have heard of this before, might have to try it, I would hate giving up my tomatoes on salads, they taste so good, but i think I will go without if this pain keeps up. what about black pepper, is that nightshade too?
    How do I know my D3 levels are good? I have been working on getting more sun, taking my shirt off for a while when it gets warm...

jammies is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thompson View Post
    Hmmm I have heard of this before, might have to try it, I would hate giving up my tomatoes on salads, they taste so good, but i think I will go without if this pain keeps up. what about black pepper, is that nightshade too?
    How do I know my D3 levels are good? I have been working on getting more sun, taking my shirt off for a while when it gets warm...
    Black pepper and Szechuan pepper are safe. I know - nightshades are such a pain to give up. But I would never go back to eating them regularly now - the reduction in pain for me was nothing short of amazing. In the beginning, even small amounts would trigger a flare. Now, a few years later, I can have small bits without getting clobbered too badly.

The only way to know for sure about D3 levels is to get tested. I think there is a on-line finger prick test you can order or you can just ask your doctor to check it. Depending on your age, skin color, latitude, and the season, it is possible to be very deficient even when getting plenty of sunshine.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thompson View Post
    Hi Marcadav,
    About three months now, but only went grain free for the last month. I plan on staying grain free from now on, as I really have no desire to eat it, I just thought I had too, now I know better haha So how long did it take grain free before you noticed a difference?
    I have been taking rx grade fish oil for 3 years now with good results, I could barely walk and needed a cane, Drs (3 of them) said i would only get better with a hip replacement! Well, they were wrong, I am a lot better walking unassisted and do stairs, and do not need any meds either, so I am a bit skeptical of seeing them anymore
    I have had no tests for level of inflammation.
    I was trying to remember how long I was grain free before the pain was gone. My best guess is 2-4 months. I know I started out walking 5 minutes/day on the treadmill and a few months later I could go for 3+miles.

Fish oil is good. I use krill oil because all fish oil that I have tried gave me fish burps and I'm not a fish fan.

Vitamin D is important also. I was found to be severely deficient while living in sunny S. CA and walking outside everyday.

My suggestion is-- stay grain/sugar free and give it time. Do exercises that you can, starting low and slow and increasing low and slow as well.

I can generally work through an ache or twinge but stop with pain. I have cerebral palsy that also limits my ability to LHT as outlined in The Primal Blueprint. I just find ways to modify things so they work for me.