Thread: "Primal friendly" stores page

"Primal friendly" stores

Shop Now
    Hi all,

This may only be wishful thinking, but...

Are there, anywhere in the US, strictly primal and/or paleo grocery stores? I do all of my shopping at Whole Foods and Valley Natural Foods (Burnsville, MN), but I can't help but be annoyed by all of the stuff these places get "wrong". For example, so much of the stuff in the Whole Foods deli contains canola oil, and their deli salmon is farm raised.

Has anyone out there taken the initative to set up shop and dedicate their business to fully support Primal and Paleo?

If not, what do you all think of me and some Business major friends of mine doing so? Or is that the craziest idea ever?

macha10 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixteenDollars View Post
    Has anyone out there taken the initative to set up shop and dedicate their business to fully support Primal and Paleo?

If not, what do you all think of me and some Business major friends of mine doing so? Or is that the craziest idea ever?
    I don't know if it would fly or not, but just the other day I was telling my husband how I wished there was a grocery store without all the packaged foods and treats. Basically "the perimeter" of the store. I am only semi-primal (judge me now!) and the kids aren't, but we don't need all those chips, cookies, boxed foods and crap in the stores.

sarahmasteller is offline Senior Member
    Primal friendly stores would be nice! The closest thing I think there is would be your local farmer's market probably... as far as setting up your own store if you have the means and the motivation I'd say go for it If there were a place in my area I'd shop there!

I really want to move Southwest and I was reading that Albuquerque is a good location for starting a business. Anyone have any business experience in ABQ? Would this be a good location for a Primal-type store?

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Fresh vs farm fish sometimes has to do with location I believe. However, Whole Foods when I lived in IN and also here in VA is wild caught. The frozen fish is wild in all the stores I have been to in the United States.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's a crazy idea at all, it just depends on if there would be a big enough demand for that kind of specialty store in your area. I wish there was a store like that where I live. We don't even have a whole foods or trader joe's in my town. There's a tiny health food store that I have gone to several times, but everything there is so expensive!

Robinscats is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SixteenDollars View Post
    I really want to move Southwest and I was reading that Albuquerque is a good location for starting a business. Anyone have any business experience in ABQ? Would this be a good location for a Primal-type store?
    Quite possibly. We have two Whole Foods and now two Trader Joe's here in ABQ that people go nuts for. There's a place called Keller's Farm Stores that offers a lot of what primal people want. I haven't been there yet because it's off the bus route and I just recently got a vehicle. My brother shops there a lot though and what he gets there is fabulous. There's also an organic farm that offers a lot of options called Skarsgard Farms. Those are the only two options that I can think of off the top of my head, though, so another store in town could possibly do well. You might also look into the Santa Fe and/or Taos area as well.

The one thing about Albuquerque, though, is the real estate prices are (I think) ridiculously high. Other than that, though, it's a great city. If you're an outdoorsy person the mountains are very close with lots of hiking trails. It gets hot in the summer, but hey... it's a dry heat. The winters are typically mostly mild unless you live on the eastern side of the mountain and then you get a lot of snow. You can golf in the morning, though, and then drive an hour or two and go skiing.

I don't have any actual business experience in the city, though, not of the type of business you're thinking about starting.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    A store that caters to "primal only" will probably never survive. The primal foods don't make enough profit to float a store by itself. It would be like McDonald's selling only hamburgers but not selling soda. It's the massive soda profit that keeps the McD's open.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

lannlycuellar is offline Junior Member
    The closest thing I think there is would be your local farmer's market probably