Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Paleo vs "Succesful" SAD. Difference? page

Aloe is offline Member

Decent Paleo vs "Succesful" SAD. Difference?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

So, I've been more or less Paleo in my eating since November 2011. To me, it's about health with the side benefits of losing weight, but I expected more weight loss.

I've lost 20 pounds since I started, for a CW of 276 (I'm 5ft 9", size 20). Until January, I was being low carb (50-80 grs a day) with the occasional carb binge (going out with friends, coming to the inlaws, that kind of thing). My weight loss was slow, but steady at the time. Then my husband and I had to move to my in-law's for a while, which has been a high stressor. Also, they bake stuff all the time, and "something sweet" is a must after dinner, and even though I still don't eat nearly as much as I would have before, I still "try" all these things after dinner.

I've always suspected that the slow weight loss is due to the fact that I don't exercise, and have these carb binges. But lately I've been thinking of my most successful weight loss to date, and that made me wonder...

In 2009 I lost around 40 pounds in 6 months, following SAD common wisdom: I ate small meals every 3/4 hrs, lots of grains and vegetables. The big thing, in my opinion, is that I walked a lot: I was working at a hospital and was walking constantly from 8am to 5.30pm.

Could it be all the walking I did that made me lose weight, even if I was having more carbs than I am now? Or could it be that I lose weight faster on a higher amount of carbs a day? I've read it's been like that for some people.

Other info I think might help:
    -I have a slightly slow thyroid (getting better since November, non-medicated) - I've read that slow thyroids work better on slightly higher carbs?
    -I'm naturally IFing 16/8: wake up around 9 but don't eat until noon, when I eat a big salad with some protein. After lunch I have coffee with cream, and nothing else until dinner around 6, when I eat mostly protein and veggies... and a spoon of indian rice, or a quarter of naan, and a bit of chocolate, cake, 2 cookies, or whatever the rest of the family is having

I appreciate any comments!
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You were probably eating fewer calories on your SAD diet. Plus walking is really good exercise. It not only helps burn a tiny bit of calories, it also gets your blood moving and reduces stress and gets you out in the sun where your skin can make vitamin D.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    CW gets a bad rap around here, but it isn't *completely* wrong on everything.

If you are wanting to lose weight, exercise is a good way of increasing the amount of energy you use.

And I'd skip the cake/cookies that the rest of the family is indulging in. Go for dark choc instead

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the best diet is the one you can stick to. taking the weight off through CW, vs. staying the same weight but eating primally? clear winner is taking the weight off through CW.

my best advice would be to move to three square meals a day, with no snacks. stop the 'IF' pattern you're doing. don't cheat! you got this.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Losing weight is about calories. You were probably eating less calories on your old diet if you lost more weight. When you are that overweight the best thing to do is eat a diet that isn't completely stupid, that you can stick to, and produces a steady weight loss. At your weight 20 pounds in 6 months is not very much.

Aloe is offline Member
    I don't want to go back to SAD. I'm insulin resistant with PCOS. I do not want to have gestational diabetes when I decide to get pregnant and/or end up a diabetic in my 40s.

My main concern is: is all the walking that made the difference, or could I do better with higher "primal" carbs? I know wheat is not good for me, and I don't want to go back to eating grains like I did before.
    Height: 5ft 9"
    Current pants size: 20 (Canada sizing).
    Goal: I'll let you know when I've reached it.

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind
    is a faithful servant. We have created a society that
    honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”
    ~Albert Einstein~

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Losing weight is about calories. You were probably eating less calories on your old diet if you lost more weight. When you are that overweight the best thing to do is eat a diet that isn't completely stupid, that you can stick to, and produces a steady weight loss. At your weight 20 pounds in 6 months is not very much.
    couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Aloe View Post
    I don't want to go back to SAD. I'm insulin resistant with PCOS. I do not want to have gestational diabetes when I decide to get pregnant and/or end up a diabetic in my 40s.

My main concern is: is all the walking that made the difference, or could I do better with higher "primal" carbs? I know wheat is not good for me, and I don't want to go back to eating grains like I did before.
    you can be as primal as you'd like, go for it (!), but the key is to limit calories. the carbs don't matter that much. often, people feel fuller on a low carb diet, so if that works for you, go with it.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure the walking was good for you, and it couldn't hurt to do more of it now. I think your slowed loss now is probably due to the stress of a new/different living situation and those sugar/flour treats in the evening. Just a little at the end of a meal can set off some bad things in your body.

And while jimhensen and jakey might sneer at your 20 pounds in six months, 20 pounds while eating a diet you can live with is great!

I would advise no more dessert or breads at dinner. If you want to try them for the sake of family harmony, save them for the next day, when you are hungry, instead of having them at the end of a meal. Try the old, "I am so full from this other good food you made, that I can't manage another bite, but I'll save it for later' routine.

Also, get an extra hour of sleep to help your body cope with stress. Moving to a new situation, even a great one, is one of the top five stressors in modern life.

Good luck.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I am by no means carb-phobic, but I think low carbs are generally a good idea for insulin resistant people.

By all means, start walking again. It will be good for your body and good for your stress level. But I'd also give up at least the sweets and the naan. I'm sure your in-laws will understand that you are trying to lose weight and be healthy for when you have their grandbaby.

What sorts of fats are you eating? Do your in-laws cook with ghee or have they bought into the whole vegetable oil thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast