Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 7 - Confused Cravings/Hunger Pangs? page

mrcheevus is offline Junior Member

Day 7 - Confused Cravings/Hunger Pangs?

So I am 7 days into following primal as an eating plan. I have not yet ramped up on the getting more active (yesterday was the first deliberate attempt - hauled my three preschoolers to the park via dirt paths and grass in a wagon) but I plan to implement more exercise and primal exercises shortly.

I have been wrestling with hunger sensations though. Is this my body just trying to figure out what to do about the lack of carbs? I've been 100g or less for 5 of the last 7 days. I find that I am unsure if what I am feeling is full or hungry. I can be motoring along with my day and I will feel.... something. And I don't know if it is full or hunger pangs.

Yesterday afternoon, I made a primal beef soup (very hearty) but didn't realize the cooking time was 2 hours so I ended up not eating until 3pm. When I did, I guessed what I was feeling was hungry and slammed down two good sized bowls of it. I figured I should be full, but still felt the same sensations from my stomach - just a low level feeling that I couldn't figure out if it was hunger or fullness. Same as before I ate.

I have desires to snack, and have been restricting my snacking to sunflower seeds and jerky. Not homemade jerky, unfortunately, so I am sure I am getting some preservatives and junk, but hey, I can't afford a dehydrator just now.

What is my body trying to tell me?

PS. In 7 days I have lost about 5 pounds. A little on the high side but I have also significantly reduced the total quantity I eat per day, so a chunk of that is likely just my guts not as full of stuff.

No comments? Feeling like this is either so normal nobody has anything to say or or weird nobody can think of a response.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you just need to eat more.

Can you write the meals you consumed yesterday? If you don't remember, the meals you consume today? If you can include calories/meal that would be great, otherwise, it should be ok.

For me, hunger is when my stomach growls. I have eaten a small meals in the past, stomach felt empty like I didn't even put food in there, and my stomach did not growl till 5 hrs later. So for me, empty stomach feeling is not hunger.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    I would just eat more protein, fat, and vegetables for the time being, it's not going to hurt you in the short run.

Also, try consuming a daily tablespoon of coconut oil. This might help give you energy and quell the cravings.

You are going to go through changes before your body adapts. I'm sure whatever you are experiencing now is perfectly normal.

Some may say too many nuts are bad, but I think if you eat the right kind, the benefits far outweigh the risks. I eat a ton of raw organic walnuts on a regular basis. Walnuts are by far the healthiest nut given their high phenolic acid content and higher than average ALA omega 3 content.

Are you drinking enough water? You may also want to try increasing your water intake to make your stomach feel full.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    When you're hungry, you'll know it. If you're not sure, you're not hungry.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I think its telling you to stop snacking to stave off hunger and eat a real meal already. Grazing just confuses your body. When you fill your car's gas tank do you put $5 in every time the light goes on then drive around frantically looking for the next gas station? Probably not. Its a very inefficient way to travel. Fill 'er up and get on with your travels, and plan ahead for your next fill up.

If you're not sure if you're hungry, then you're not hungry. The feeling of Primal hunger is very different than the low-blood-sugar-crabby-shaky-headachy SAD hunger. With your blood sugar leveled, you probably won't feel anything except a lightness or slight emptiness in your belly. Don't confuse this with hunger. Sometimes that emptiness can last for hours. I usually find it energizing and liberating. Almost all my food consumption happens between 10am and 7pm.

Don't fear hunger. Plan your next meal so you have something primal and tasty waiting for you, but let yourself get good and hungry before you eat. Then get good and full and enjoy the full feeling. Experiment with listening to your body and waiting for hunger. It takes practice if you've never done it before.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Very helpful! I knew I could count on you guys! If I waited until I really felt hungry I may only be eating twice a day... but that's not the end of the world is it? So wait until I am ravenous then gorge. Okey...

Though when I think about Grok I am sure as he wandered through the day hunting, he was probably picking berries and leaves and munching on them too... no?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheevus View Post
    Very helpful! I knew I could count on you guys! If I waited until I really felt hungry I may only be eating twice a day... but that's not the end of the world is it? So wait until I am ravenous then gorge. Okey...

Though when I think about Grok I am sure as he wandered through the day hunting, he was probably picking berries and leaves and munching on them too... no?
    Many of us only eat twice a day. Often less. There are a lot of benefits to short-term fasts, but don't worry about intentionally "IFing" yet.

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    I think you probably need to eat more fat and less lean meats, like jerky or turkey or chicken. Eating more fat is what really kicked in my feeling great. Red meat, eggs, bacon, pork butt, avocados, cheese, almonds. I eat plenty of fat every time I eat. I usually eat once or twice per day. Rarely snack anymore. I used to snack like a fiend until I started eating lotsofat!

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheevus View Post
    Maybe, but that doesn't mean he was super healthy. I think eating like a caveman has more to do with the types of food than the "hows" of eating. We probably all would also die between the ages of 30-50 if we really lived like they did, because it would probably mean a fair amount more of food shortages.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast