Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scrambled eggs bad? page

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member

Scrambled eggs bad?

Primal Fuel
    I read something by someone on another site that says scrambled eggs are bad because the yolk oxidizes or what not. So it basically makes the cholesterol in the eggs bad.

Now today I had 6 eggs scrambled. Just today though. SO is that bad or just some random comment by some user?

I mean if it is then I won't have scrambled eggs.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    I read something similar about scrambling messes up the fat in the yolk but I am not sure how true it is and if so how severe the scrambling makes a difference.

rkd80 is offline Member
    This is not true and has been debunked by Fallon. There is a website somewhere with her response, but the only way the yolk can oxidize is through a high powered machine.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    If you overcook scrambled eggs, you are beginning to enter the area of diminishing returns. I try to cook all food at as low a temperature as possible, so as to cook to my liking, and preserve integrity as much as possible. I like my meat med rare to rare, and my eggs firm but moist.

If you were to scramble eggs for ten mins, then let them sit out for a little too long, you probably do start to risk oxidizig cholesterol.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    This is not true and has been debunked by Fallon. There is a website somewhere with her response, but the only way the yolk can oxidize is through a high powered machine.
    Now I remember.. it was a youtube video and the person put eggs in his morning shake. He put the eggs in last and did a light pulse blend so the yolk did not get blended real heavy. That is probably what you mean by high powered machine?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think they meant something like an industrial dehydrator.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 04-26-2012 at 03:15 PM.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    It's all relative. More lightly-cooked foods will generally have less oxidized fats/cholesterol - but at some point it becomes noise-level/practically inconsequential.

*real* Scrambled eggs that aren't burnt to a crisp are probably fairly modest in terms of oxidized fat/cholesterol content. However, reconstituted powdered eggs(think of the stuff they pass off as "scrambled eggs" at some cheap breakfast buffet) have been found to have a very high fraction of oxidized cholesterol - the industrial spray drying process isn't particularly gentle.

Dailytribal is offline Senior Member
    Well, I cook my eggs on high but for about 20 seconds. With meats I like when they are well done.

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dailytribal View Post
    Well, I cook my eggs on high but for about 20 seconds. With meats I like when they are well done.
    I still haven't figured out whether it's best to cook at a high heat or lower heat and still reach the same level of cooking. I thin high heat carries more risk of damage. Also, well done meat will have more AGE's and will comme with more risk of oxidation of fats. Adding to the accumulation of AGE's that is already taking place is something we want to try to reduce as much as possible.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    I still haven't figured out whether it's best to cook at a high heat or lower heat and still reach the same level of cooking. I thin high heat carries more risk of damage. Also, well done meat will have more AGE's and will comme with more risk of oxidation of fats. Adding to the accumulation of AGE's that is already taking place is something we want to try to reduce as much as possible.
    +1.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast