Thread: Amenorrhoea while Intermittent Fasting and Primal page

JackieD is offline Junior Member

Amenorrhoea while Intermittent Fasting and Primal

Shop Now
    Hi there all Primal People!

I have a question for Mark and perhaps someone out there has experienced similar symptoms as I have.

I have been a competitive fitness athlete for about 4 years (i am now 38). I started utilising the IF (Leangains) approach a year and a half ago, with huge sucess. I have always remained lean as I was a gymnast my whole life and athletic. Last year while training for a fitess comp here in Cape Town, South Africa, I developed a hip injury which has put me out of competitive fitness comps indefinately. I had microfraction surgery in my hip joint in August 2011 and am on my way to having a hip replacement due to irrepairable trauma induced cartilage damage on the femur head. After the surgery last year I considered Paleo/Primal eating and started in Jan/Feb this year with the elimination of grains, dairy and sugar. Being an athlete grains were a large component of my diet.

Since going paleo/primal I have stopped mentruating and this concerns me. I am fasting quite long daily (16 to 17hrs) but really eat up with the typical primal meals in my eating phase (2pm to 9pm). Is the conjunction of IF with a low carb diet stressing my body to the point if feels it needs to hold back on my cycle? I do moderate training now, very primal according to Mark. I do pilates 3 x a week, yoga 1 or 2 x a week, 2 upper body weight training sessions, and 1 to 2 HIIT sessions a week on the spinning bike since I am unable to run. I am also seeing a biokineticist (2 x a week) for rehab on the affected hip joint to encourage stability and strength in the joint. However, my training intensity is nothing like it used to be while I was a competitive athlete. Any ideas what may be the problem? I do refeed ocassionally with the cheese cake and chcocolates (very non-paleo!!! I know) so do not think my leptin levels are too low??? Help!

Regards
    Jackie

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Jackie, what is your height and weight? You probably have a very low body fat. Maybe spreading your food out a bit more over the day would help. I have a huge breakfast round 7am or so and then usually go through to dinner - round 5-5.30 pm (my hubby is a shift worker who gets up at 2am for work, so we eat and retire early), with a very occasional snack (piece of cheese or ham or a handful of nuts) if I feel starving.

Do you eat much fat? Perhaps looking at that ratio as part of your total intake and increasing it somewhat might help.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Amenhorrea is usually due to a few things:

1) low body fat levels
    2) inadequate fat, starchy carbs and calories
    3) stress: mental and physical

IF'ing is a stress
    If you are eating low starchy carb that could be part of it
    If your body fat levels are low, that could also be part of it.

JackieD is offline Junior Member
    Thanks NDF and Analog6. I love my eating regime but perhaps its too rigid as I am a worry wart and get stressed easily. I am 58kg at 1.72m. I do mainatin a low BF% (easy with IF) and especially since I have cut out the typical clean grains and dairy (I call myself a pseudo-paleo as I do indulge in the odd non-paleolithic foods from time to time). I will consider that I should i increase my fats, perhaps some coconut milk in a smoothie and extra cocout oil while I cook. So thanks for the advice.

JackieD

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    PrimalCon New York
    Avocados are good for a fat boost too - I have at least 1/2 one a day
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook