Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching PB - trying to understand ratios - help? page

AmieSue is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Hello - I haven't "started" PB yet, been reading and trying to understand it all. I have been documenting my eating for the past 11 days, trying to learn if I have any food sensitivities, etc. I eat organic foods as much as possible. I have noticed my weight is creeping upwardly and can't figure out why. They are small gains but they are adding up.

I have been working hard on adding in fats. Healthy ones; coconut oil, coconut butter, olive oil, ground flax seed, avocado. I don't eat gluten or really any dairy. No refined sugars. I eat tons of tilapia. I mean like everyday! I eat some red meats.

I don't know if my info here will to vague for anyone to reply to, but could you look at my calories vrs. fat / carb / protein ratios and see how it looks?

I am 38 yrs old, 5 3 1/2' tall, thyroid and hormone imbalances and struggle having BM's. Hows that for TMI. hehe I am on a healing plan for all of those issues. Have been for about 3 weeks.

Currently I am not on an exercise plan.

Starting Jan. 25th

D1 = 109.6 = 1388 calories / 62 fat / 71 carbs / 123 protein (fish)

D2 = 109.8 = 1682 calories / 57 fat / 94 carbs / 156 protein (steak)

D3 = 110.2 = 1390 calories / 41 fat / 75 carbs / 162 protein (fish)

D4 = 109.8 = 1655 calories / 58 fat / 68 carbs / 197 protein

D5 = 111.2 = 1744 calories / 71 fat / 96 carbs / 167 protein (fish)

D6 = 111.6 = 1412 calories / 49 fat / 80 carbs / 145 protein (fish)

D7 = 111.4 = 1421 calories / 53 fat / 60 carbs / 162 protein (fish)

D8 = 112 = 1699 calories / 40 fat / 62 carbs / 255 protein

D9 = 112 = 1581 calories / 70 fat / 108 carbs / 129 protein

D10 = 112.8 = 1740 calories / 80 fat / 106 carbs / 142 protein

D11 = 112.8 = 1791 calories / 77 fat / 81 carbs / 189 protein

D12 = 113.4 =

Any feed back is appreciated.

Amie Sue...

jrherring is offline Senior Member

Hi there and welcome!

Just to make sure I understand, you're trying to put on weight? Right? Ok, Good.

Fat helps when I have BM issues. Not sure if you're avoiding dairy but heavy cream typically does the trick for me within a couple of hrs.

Anyone else with thoughts?

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Lolly is offline Member

why so much protein per day? i am 5'4" and am able to maintain a nice amount of muscle on approx 100 grams of protein per day.

AmieSue is offline Senior Member

No no, not trying to gain at all! lol I just got down from 132lbs since November. I want to be 110 lbs. Not because of the "number" but because I feel I look and feel my best there. I have NEVER eaten as much fat as I have listed above before. I had the fear of fat carved into my brain by society and avoided it like the plague over the years.

So, I have been working on increasing calories / fats / proteins/ while keeping my carbs in check. I just don't understand if the ratios look good or not. My weight is creeping up and I don't understand why. I know there are normal fluctuations, specially with women but, well you can see the pattern.

I just introduced fage - greek yogurt, full fat into my diet yesterday...but usually I don't eat dairy. I had been 98% raw for almost 2 yrs, but have added in fish and some red meat since Nov.

Amie Sue...

Oops! I'm sorry!

The going thing and what Mark's book indicates is to bring those carbs down.

For me, I'm trying to lose weight so I'm knocking off a couple hundred calories a day. Keeping them around 1300 - 1500 and exercising. Keeping my protein and fat up and carbs down.

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Lolly is offline Member

@Grok is Softball: i do the exact same thing, eat 1300-1500, keep carbs down, fat & protein up. i know the PB approach is you don't have to count calories but i enjoy the process & i enjoy tweaking my macros and seeing what the outcome is. i also enjoy weighing and measuring my food--to each their own--this helps me manage my nutrition/fitness/health really efficiently.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

You shouldn't have to cut calories to lose weight. If you don't trust yourself not to overeat, go to a website and get a rough idea of what you maintenance calorie intake should be. Drop your carbs to 30-50g, protein to around 100 and eat fat for the rest. Aim to eat around your maintenance calories, but if you feel hungry it is ok to go over. I find at TOM (time of the month) I eat about 300 over for a day or two, but don't put on weight because your metabolism speeds up at this time.

I found cutting calories and exercising prevented weight loss. It's CW dieting and it doesn't work in the long term (or in the short term for me!)

It's working so far for me. If I were dropping closer to 1000 cals a day, I might agree.

But, it's working for me.

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

Lolly is offline Member

For me, it is not just about weight loss or the numbers on a scale, it's about fitness and performance. I've gone done to 1000 cals a day and i cannot perform on the level i like to. I find that with 1300-1500 very carefully chosen calories my bod has the fuel it needs to perform and the aesthetic result i seek.

but back to the OP--i still don't understand why she is consuming SO much protein daily

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I imagine OP is eating so much protein because she is scared of eating too much fat.

AmieSue, if you have been on 1300 calories for a while and then you gradually increase your calories the way you have you will put on weight because your metabolism is set at 1300 (which is the reason I don't like to cut calories). I would maintain your current calorie level, make the changes I mentioned above and when your body adjusts to the higher calorie level and you will start to lose weight. It only takes a couple of days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast