Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Researching PB - trying to understand ratios - help? page 3

raiyous is offline Junior Member

As Mark says, protein is about building the structure of your body first. You should shoot for about 0.7g/lbs of lean body mass (Weight-Body Fat%*Weight) if you are inactive and up to 1.0g/lbs for the very active. Any more and your body turns that protein into glucose by glucogenesis. This can give you more carbs in the day than you are recording. My advice cut out some protein, by making your protein portions smaller and add some good fats. Try cooking in coconut oil or butter, add some avocados, nuts and other fat sources.

AmieSue is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys. I will cut down on the protein. I have been cooking my fish with coconut oil and eating spoonfuls of coconut butter (heaven!) I am working on adding some nuts, testing to see if I am sensitive to them.

I also have added ground flax seeds to fage greek yogurt and I make flax seed dehydrated crackers. I am use to eating a raw diet. It will be hard to limit my fruits.

Amie Sue...

FairyRae2 Guest

My typical ratios are:

60-65% fat

20% protein

20% carbs

I'm a higher carb pber--get around 100-150 g a day. I'm not trying to lose weight or I'd go lower carb. (70% fat/20%protein/10%carb)

I'm very interested in ratios as well.

FairyRae2 Guest

Ooo--watch out for the nuts/seeds when trying to lose weight--more than 1/4 cup a day and my weight starts creeping up...

Will do Fairy. I wouldn't really eat 1 cup of almonds, that was just an example showing that I want to better understand the nutrient makeup of foods.

Amie Sue...

Griff is offline Senior Member

Amie: Fruit should be an occasional treat, not an every-day (and certainly not an every-meal!) thing. Fruit is not good for you.

If you aren't willing to boost your fats up considerably and cut your carbs to the bone, as well as dropping your protein intake a little bit, you won't succeed at this way of life.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

FairyRae2 Guest

[quote]

If you aren&#39;t willing to boost your fats up considerably and cut your carbs to the bone, as well as dropping your protein intake a little bit, you won&#39;t succeed at this way of life.</blockquote>

According to Mark, keeping carbs between 50-100 g a day is a good place for folks looking to lose weight.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
    [quote]

50-100 grams/day Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.</blockquote>

I realize we are all different so have different needs, and some of us really NEED to go much lower carb for weight loss and health (under 50 g a day, etc.), but I don&#39;t see why Amie&#39;s current level of carbs (under 100 g a day) wouldn&#39;t be ok for weight loss if her protein and fats were adjusted to be more in line w/ the PB recommended guidelines... If after upping fat and lowering protein she continues to see weight gains/no weight loss, then I&#39;d think she&#39;d want to look into cutting carbs more, but I just think upping fat and lowering protein a bit would be where I&#39;d focus *first*. I do believe ratios matter and the fat/protein/carb ratios you&#39;ve described Amie are quite different than those of the typical PBer I&#39;ve read about here, so I&#39;d think adjusting the ratios would be the place to start.

(I&#39;m not a very low carber, and have found success and lost weight while eating more moderate levels of carbs, so this is where I&#39;m coming from--of course YMMV!)

Also Amie, in response to your question about gaining weight as part of the transition, when I was eating a lot higher carbs--200-300 g a day, and adding in more (good) fats like coconut oil back in my beginning WAPF days, I *did* see weight gain. You really can&#39;t eat tons of fat AND carbs and expect to lose weight--you can expect to gain though. (Doesn&#39;t sound like you&#39;re eating too many carbs *to me*, but if you have metabolic syndrome or insulin issues etc., you *could* be eating too many carbs for *you* (I think? I don&#39;t know enough about all of it, but many of the folks here could help you/share info on this if that&#39;s the case.)

Thanks Fairy for taking the time to share all that. I do understand that my ratios that I posted are different from the typical PB&#39;r here. Mind you, I wasn&#39;t and haven&#39;t adapted the PB way of life as of yet. I had been tracking my numbers to try to understand how many calories, etc I eating...then trying to figure out the balance and ratios. I literally had no idea what a good range of fat was considered...again I spent most of my adult life running like the wind from fat. So, I didn&#39;t know of 20g was high or if 200g was high. That is what landed me here...reading this site. I will bring my proteins down and fats up a bit...my carbs seem ok, I agree. Most of those carbs had been coming from my morning apple.

You all have been so helpful...I am starting to understand. Thanks again!

Amie Sue...

FairyRae2 Guest

I totally get it. And whoah--you were already keeping your carbs low prior to PB stuff! (My carbs were through the roof b/4 I started--fats were fine, protein was low. I was certainly a serious carboholic though. We all have different jumping off points eh? I&#39;m sure most folks following ANY typical diet do not get half the fat of an average PBer, so it&#39;s no surprise your diet sounded a bit low in fat to us all if it was what you were eating PRE-PB!

Have you seen Mark&#39;s guide to fats: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/

Or a PB sample menu: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...t-sample-menu/ (Which some of us would say was a little low in fat compared to our diets and more for someone trying to maintain weight--not lose it. His ratios for the day were 55% fat, 23% protein, 17% carbs, 5% alcohol Could be a very helpful post for you to read as it&#39;s all about the ratios issue.)

Ooo--here&#39;s another one of Mark&#39;s posts on ratios: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fitday-results/ He seems to keep fats at the 55% range (again, kind of low compared to many of us on the forum from what I&#39;ve read...) but still helpful for looking at ratios...

The whole ratios thing has been something I&#39;m continually returning to, trying to balance *just right*, for *me*. It will settle out by just eating PB ok foods IMO. I do believe, in part, in intuitive eating, but only after you&#39;ve removed most of the crap/fake foods and foods you may have addictions to (gluten, sugars, etc.), and foods you may reacts to/be sensitive to. It can take a while for us to figure out how to trust our bodies (without confusing mental/emotional cravings w/ physical cues)--to follow our own hunger cues, and the cues that ask us for the right amount of macronutrients for each of us... (For me, I just keep an eye on carbs and the rest seems to fall into place--the carbs were always *my* own sticking point though, so maybe others need to watch other things.) Its a process, and I also found that tracking w/ fitday was super helpful in the beginning--after eating like this for some time it is once again a lot more intuitive, and I can track once a week on fitday (if I want to) and find that I&#39;m still getting basically the same ratios that just seem to feel right for my body atm...

mia
    mia is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hi,

I second the keep your carbs to below 20g or AT LEAST below 50g. Also Ratio&#39;s are confusing!

For example say I have only 500 calories today (hypothetically)and 400 calories of those are fat i.e. about 45 grams of fat which is not alot. However my ratio is 80%

Now lets say I have 2000 calories a day and the same amount of fat i.e.45 grams my ratio of fat to overall calories is 20%!

As I lower my carbs automatically my fat ratio is being raised whether I increas my fat intake or not as my calories are dropping! Hope that makes sense.

I&#39;m trying to burn fat right now on v. low carb and my ratio for yesterday was 69% fat, 24% protein and 7% carbs.

So basically forget the ratios except only to make sure the carb ratio is low. Some people may overeat protein but usually that&#39;s difficult to do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast