Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Researching PB - trying to understand ratios - help? page 2

Lolly is offline Member

Primal Fuel

AmieSue, i would also recommend you start doing exercise, not only to aid in weight loss but for overall general health. doesn't have to be hardcore or be a huge time commitment--walking, biking, some form of weight/strength/resistance training.

AmieSue is offline Senior Member

Thanks for responding... nobody has commented on how my ratios for the day look. Or is that not relevant here? I am trying to find a formula to stick to, this helps me stay on track. Maybe I just need to buy the book and figure this out.

Amie Sue...

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I think you are low on fat and high on protein, esp if you aren't exercising.

I'm 5'9" with a medium build and aim for 120 fat/80 carb/150 protein with intervals and lifting 2-3 days a week and some moderate/low intensity cardio nearly every day. It's working for me so far...

eta: I would highly recommend buying the book. It's a quick, entertaining read and will lay it all out for you very simply.

@jo - Mark does talk about calorie restriction in PB and even walks through how to calculate it if you're one of the folks (like me) that's "into" the numbers.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

AmieSue:

I'd recommend you try a free Fitday account, if you haven't already...I'm trying to lose my last ten, and so have started logging what I eat, three or four times a week. I'm 5'9 and currently weigh about 147.

This is what I ended up with for yesterday (pretty typical):

Breakfast: IF

Lunch: 3 eggs fried in butter

Dinner: 4 chicken legs roasted with eggplant/onion/carrot

1 cup cooked spinach with melted butter

Grams Calories %-Cals

Calories 1,383

Fat 104.7 931 67 %

Saturated 45.3 401 29 %

Polyunsaturated 14.1 126 9 %

Monounsaturated 35.3 315 23 %

Carbohydrate 32.0 115 8 %

Dietary Fiber 13.5

Protein 85.8 336 24 %

Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

I usually try for about 100 gms of protein when I'm lifting, a little less when I'm not. Note that fat was 104.7 grams, or about 67%...this is what keeps you full. My carbs, at 32 gms, is actually on the high side for me, it's usually more like 20. I'm actually losing about a pound a week eating like this, and I'm super satisfied and happy.

Now, if I could just stay away from the rum...

cyberaly is offline Junior Member

Amie Sue - i don't think ratios count here.

if you check out some of the pb 101 stuff, mark talks about ratios and avoids pinning them down. it basically is:

1) get enough protein first and foremost

2) eat some veggies

3) get your energy from fat

i totally get the formula thing. it makes it a bit harder, but also makes it more tailored to your own physiology.

I use Fitbit to log my foods and trust me this isn't something I want to do long term. I want to eat till I am full, stablize my weight and be a happy camper.

I have a type A personality so I like structure and numbers. Basically, by having a formula and logging foods for a bit, I can get a better understanding of what a 1/2 of cup of almonds means in my daily menu.

I ordered the book so I can stop pestering you all with questions that are most likely obvious if I were to just read the book. I do however, appreciate you input and will take anything you have to share in the meantime.

Amie Sue...

Jo "I imagine OP is eating so much protein because she is scared of eating too much fat."

Bingo! I have trying to up my calories but indeed have feared fats. I am trying to reprogram my brain, that is how I even got interested in this site.

Amie Sue...

Griff is offline Senior Member

Amie: You will have to start eating fat. Lots of fat. The ratios should be about 70-80% of your calories from fat, the rest protein, and trace (20g or less) carbs. I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but everyone I know who's started this program and stuck with it has lost weight and gotten fitter. I've dropped almost 80 pounds in 6 months. It is not only possible but probable that you will have similar results.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Shew, that's a lot of fat. :P For those of you who started this adventure of eating so much fat, did you gain weight at first and then evened out? My fat grams may not be as high as you suggest right now, but I have increased them by leaps and bounds...so I wonder if that is why my weight is creeping up.

Also, does eating more fats raise your body temperature?

Amie Sue...

Griff is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Nope, I dropped weight like a rock. First month, 26 pounds, second month 19 pounds. Then I evened out and started dropping at about 8 - 10 pounds a month. So far I've dropped almost 80 since August.

It's not the fat that's bringing up your weight. It's the carbs. Cut them down to 20g or below per day and you'll start to see results.

I don't have any clue about whether fats raise your body temperature or not.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast