Thread: New to Paleo/HighFatLowCarb. Diet Feedback? page

acousticfoodie is offline Junior Member

New to Paleo/HighFatLowCarb. Diet Feedback?

Shop Now
    I've been looking into this more and more and wanted some feedback if I'm going this right:

Typical Breakfast:
    3 eggs
    1 slice of cheese
    2 strips of bacon

Lunch:
    Broccoli
    Chicken with skin

Dinner:
    More green veggies
    Usually some variety of either fish, beef or pork

Snacks: 1 fruit, almonds, cheese

I've been eating low fat high carb for the longest time with no results for the longest time and never got anywhere. When I cut out refined sugars and white grains I made some significant gains...will this make even more gains?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    What's your goal? Weight loss? Health?

Your diet looks fine as a health target, although I would try to get more coloured vegetables and sulphoids (onions and garlic) in with the dinner veggies. (I'd also count the ghee/fat as an ingredient)

If you're trying to lose weight, the big thing Mark is emphasising on the front page at the moment is the virtues of fasting. I typically skip lunch (it makes it much easier to get ready for work in the morning). Eating good fatty meals, but fewer of them could help you with calorific reduction, if that is your goal.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'd drop the breakfast cheese and add a dinner sweet potato (or 1/2 of one.) Otherwise, there's no way to determine how your plan will work for you until you try it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    What's your goal? Weight loss? Health?

Your diet looks fine as a health target, although I would try to get more coloured vegetables and sulphoids (onions and garlic) in with the dinner veggies. (I'd also count the ghee/fat as an ingredient)
    My goal is to just give it a try and see what it feels like. I work in healthcare and will be doing family practice in a little bit over a year from now. I lost 40 lbs on just a low to moderate carb restriction (taking out evening carbs) and I'm currently 150lbs at 5'10.

I guess if anything I'll try to maintain what I have but I just wanted to know if I was doing it right since I've been reading up on this and browsing forums for LCHF diets being prescribed for people struggling with obesity and other related issues (very different from what I was taught in school). For a diet, I wouldn't want to recommend something to a person unless I've given it a try myself.

So I can keep everything I have now? Even the fruit? I've read some people here even shunning fruit cause of the carbs!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'd drop the breakfast cheese and add a dinner sweet potato (or 1/2 of one.) Otherwise, there's no way to determine how your plan will work for you until you try it.
    Sweet potato? Doesn't that violate the no vegetables grown underground philosophy?

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    If you are not trying to lose weight, the fruit should not be a problem. Also, many people eat root vegetables and I think that's a good option too. Dairy is boarderline. Some shun it, others use it daily, I think that is a personal call. I think your on the right track. Fats are crucial so make sure your getting enough!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticfoodie View Post
    Sweet potato? Doesn't that violate the no vegetables grown underground philosophy?
    Huh? Sweet potatoes/Yams are fine. I don't know exactly if they're grown underground, or not. I just know there's a lot of sweet potato fans, here.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think the "no vegetables grown underground" philosophy is just a means for people to more easily sort out which vegetables are lower in carbohydrate and which are higher.

One tiny little ounce of cheese (who eats only one ounce???):
    Calories

Carbs
    0.36g

An entire sweet potato:
    Calories

Carbs
    26.16g

That's not a lot of carbs, and if you eat half or a quarter of it, it's even less. It's more filling, healthier and in moderation (don't follow Jimmy Moore's example), low in calories and still low in carbs if that's important to you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3