Thread: Shirataki Rice - How do I prepare this? And can I make Rice pudding with it page

Shirataki Rice - How do I prepare this? And can I make Rice pudding with it

Primal Fuel
    I bought a package of this the other day and I want to try it out. It says strain and wash the rice and then boil for 1 minute. But I'm unsure if i put it in a pot of cold water and bring it to a boil and then leave it in the boiling water for 1 minute. or bring a pot of water to a boil then put the rice in there for a minute.

and after it is cooked can I use it like cooked rice and add some whole milk and maple syrup and raisins in a pot for some rice pudding?

13blessings is offline Member
    Well I didn't even know they had rice but I bought the noodles once and I couldn't get past the smell and texture. But with the noodles, you would open the package and drain the nasty fishy smelling brine it is floating in, rinse it off, then boil it (in already boiling water) to make it more tender and to help get rid of any fishy aftertaste (I dislike the smell of fish so that's a lot of why this turned me off - it is seriously knock you on the floor powerful when you first open the package). Then I'd rinse again with warm water and eat. I prefer spaghetti squash over that any day of the week. Although I know on some diets even spaghetti squash is banned (I'm grateful that it's okay with Primal).

I'm really curious how you like the rice. It really is flavorless after you rinse and boil and rinse it so I bet you could make rice pudding easily. Just beforewarned, the texture won't be what you're used to. And I really just wanted to warn you about what to expect when you open the package because I certainly wasn't prepared and was almost scared to eat it. Alas, it's normal
    Primal since March 2011
    Fast-5ing since April 2011
    165/159/140

carlh is offline Senior Member
    For those wondering, the ingredients are "Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium"

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't gotten the rice but I have gotten the noodles. Like 13 said, rinse, rinse, rinse. You want to rinse all the funky fishy smell/taste away.

I had better luck pan frying them (no oil, just starting with a cold pan) until the noodles squeaked (and yes, they squeaked when stirred, like little mice) than boiling. Better texture. I would pan fry till they squeaked then would add the noodles to soup, or would add meat and veggies and make a stir-fry. They do absorb flavors well so its better to let the dish set for a bit so the shirataki can soak up whatever its in.

I'd love to know if your recipe worked!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener