Thread: Sore eblows page

statikcat is offline Senior Member

Sore eblows

A few years ago I started incorporating skull crushers into my routine and after a few weeks my elbows got extremely sore and sensitive. Just bumping them lightly against a surface/desk at work etc would be uncomfortable. I was later told skull crushers were bad and many people over time and develop serious joint problems in their elbows. So I took a month off from working any triceps or exercises that signally any stress to the elbow area. After awhile I was ok and avoid skull crushers. I still notice after tricep workouts my elbows can be a little sore but nothing like before. I do lighter weight tri extensions behind the head with 2x15lb sometimes but I am thinking to eliminate that as it is similar to a skull crusher and might be the cause of what remains of the soreness that pops up sometimes.

Is this fairly normal? I sometimes wonder if I just have weak elbows as I see guys at the gym bust out these exercises often. I can still do presses, kickbacks, dips, close pushups, etc and they don't seem to give me problems. I want to continue to expand my triceps but wonder also this problem might prevent me from doing certain exercises that are important for overall growth?

This has been on my mind for awhile just thought I would drop the info here and see if anyone has any good feedback. Thanks!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hi, my elbows get sensitive too. genetic luck of the draw, and we drew the short stick! gotta experiment with what doesn't bother them. for me, tricep press-downs with a rope are fine, and dips never hurt. almost anything else bugs 'em.

get ready for 10 million people telling you to do any direct arm work, btw, that's it's a waste of time. i would take that with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    hi, my elbows get sensitive too. genetic luck of the draw, and we drew the short stick! gotta experiment with what doesn't bother them. for me, tricep press-downs with a rope are fine, and dips never hurt. almost anything else bugs 'em.

get ready for 10 million people telling you to do any direct arm work, btw, that's it's a waste of time. i would take that with a grain of salt.
    I am new in here but I know compound workouts are popular in paleo. I try to do 1-2 target days and rest compound. I find personally compound is great for toning but target works best for me when it comes to building size.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    I am new in here but I know compound workouts are popular in paleo. I try to do 1-2 target days and rest compound. I find personally compound is great for toning but target works best for me when it comes to building size.
    yeah, pardon my typos, glad you got my meaning. compound work is certainly the foundation, but depending on how your body responds, or how you want to looks, direct training is not some sort of taboo that many make it out to be.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Could possibly be related to the angle of your arms using the EZ curl bar (which I am assuming you are using). I do a modified skull crusher move with dumbbells. This keeps the arm in a straight line. Basically taking them down/out past my ear and back up. Not sure if changing the angle would help... just a thought. Since it's just accessory work, you could switch it up, close grid bench or dips to hit the tri's. I alternate between these for accessory tricep stuff.

FitMountain is offline Member
    If dips are no problem, I'd start adding weighted dips into the mix. Also, some real strong dudes have sworn by high volume band extensions.
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Use and EZ bar. That should help. you just need to change the angle of your wrists. Using a regular straight bar causes stress on the elbow joint because of the pronation of the palm. Also, check where your hands are on the bar in relation to your elbow. are you flaring your elbows as you press the weight back up? You could be using a too heavy a weight and not the right form.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't using an EZ bar before that might help. Ill still stick to lighter weights on this one for the near future to feel it out.