Thread: what to add to this dish: grass fed beef chuck, sweet potato and onion page

jmosery is offline Member

what to add to this dish: grass fed beef chuck, sweet potato and onion

Primal Fuel
    Want to make this in the oven but not sure what to add. dont want to dry it out

any ideas?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Sliced onion on the bottom of the pan. Spice rub of your choice. Tomatos, crushed, canned, pureed, sliced, whatever. Garlic? Broth, half a cup?

Good luck.

jmosery is offline Member
    LOVE tomatoes but does that go with sweet potato?

the sweet potato was getting me. i love them just never put them in a roast

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Oooo, a chuck roast? You can make AWESOME pulled beef with a chuck roast. Put this in a crock pot:

Chuck roast (sear/brown it first in some fat/oil first if you have the time)
    One onion, chopped
    A bunch of garlic
    Chopped jalapenos or hot sauce, if you like it spicy (I do!)
    Salt/pepper to taste
    Enough water or beef broth to cover it up about halfway

Let it cook on low for 8 or 10 or even 12 hours. It will just fall apart with a fork. Makes fantastic leftovers.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Carrots.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

ZeeGeezer is offline Junior Member
    A bottle of hard cider.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I vote for beef broth. Maybe mix in some coconut milk at the end? I think that would go with sweet potatoes really well.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Oooo, a chuck roast? You can make AWESOME pulled beef with a chuck roast. Put this in a crock pot:

Chuck roast (sear/brown it first in some fat/oil first if you have the time)
    One onion, chopped
    A bunch of garlic
    Chopped jalapenos or hot sauce, if you like it spicy (I do!)
    Salt/pepper to taste
    Enough water or beef broth to cover it up about halfway

Let it cook on low for 8 or 10 or even 12 hours. It will just fall apart with a fork. Makes fantastic leftovers.
    Just remembered you said OVEN. You can do the same in an oven ... just keep it covered and keep the temp down to 200-250.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I toss tomatoes in during the last few hours, in a crock pot at least. It's not fully paleo, but from time to time I'll toss in a smoked porter or two along with just water. It makes for some moist meat. I also toss parsnips in mine as well. I usually go for parsnips, onions, squash and celery. I take the roast at room temperature, and rub it in sea salt and freshly cracked pepper. Then, I sear the edges on a skillet with grassfed butter before it goes into the crockpot.

I've never had a dry roast (at least in a crockpot) that was skillet seared and cooked in either beer or hard cider. I second the cider idea, at least a pure hard cider (stuff like Woodchucks has some preservatives in it). Wine might work too, not sure on what kind of flavors you might get from that. I do my london broils' in a 24 hour wine marinade that everyone loves. The beer "broth" thing I guess technically isn't paleo. A lot of those lectins are already broken down during fermentation, but I'm not sure if they get broken down further cooked for 8-12 hours. I have not had issues with it, but I don't eat a lot of roast so that may be an idea to completely disregard. YMMV.