Thread: Any naturopaths/naturopath students here? page

Bern is offline Member

Any naturopaths/naturopath students here?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a registered nurse and I am soo frustrated with Western medicine. Because of the focus on curing symptoms rather than causes of disease. Because a medication will fix anything (sore? reflux? high cholesterol? depressed? take a pill!). Because of a majority patients take no responsibility for their own health. I could go on.

I am thinking about studying naturopathy. I like it's philosophy that the body can self-heal when supported with the correct nutrition/conditions. Kind of like the primal blueprint philosophy. I would love to be able to promote a paleo lifestyle for health!

Looking at the course guide I would be studying subjects like iridology and homoeopathy. Not knowing much about these I've done some research and found that studies have not found them to be very accurate in diagnosis/effective in treatment. Even searching MDA I found a very discrediting article for homoeopathy! Homeopathy: Can We Please, As a Society, Let This One Go? | Mark's Daily Apple

Now, my Western medical training has taught me to work using evidence based practice and I really want to believe 100% in what I do!

I would love to hear from some naturopaths or students or anyone who has an opinion. Do you learn about the scientific basis of these therapies? do you pick and chose which elements of this broad teaching you want to practice?

I am not being closed minded about these particular therapies and if you have any interesting articles to share I'd love to learn more!

Just want to make a really informed decision about this career change

Bern

activia is offline Senior Member
    Look at functional medicine and read this site www.chriskresser.com
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Bern is offline Member
    Thanks Activia. I've been looking into functional medicine and integrative and I can see online courses offering education in both. They are expensive and there isn't a lot of information about what the teachings are based on. Who regulates the content of the courses to make sure it's accurate and evidence based? At least the naturopathy course I'm looking at is a university course (a speciality in a Bachelor of Health Sciences). I'm guessing that means it's at least partially reputable..
    I'm playing devil's advocate I know, are there any functional medicine practitioners on the board?

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    I hope you find your answers. I just graduated with a master's in Chinese medicine and herbology (acupuncture) so i can only speak to that. We had alot of naturopath students in our class though and it seemed like alot switched over because they couldn't do as much with it as they wanted. I'm in CA so acupuncture is regulated by the state and requires an integrative school. Honestly half my classes were in western medicine and many of our intern sites were at hospitals and such.

Bern is offline Member
    Sounds like a great set up you have there in CA sugarcrystal!
    I live in Australia and it seems there is no regulation of complementary/alternative medicine practitioners yet. Not that I am letting this put me off. The course I'm looking at studying seems reputable. I think it does leave the profession open for scrutiny.. anyone can hang a naturopath sign on their door and start seeing patients. It's not great for the image when many people already categorise the profession as quackery!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser started by learning about Chinese medicine, if that is helpful. I think integrated medicine is a relatively new concept. He does practice. There is a facebook group as well...
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs