Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I getting enough nutrients? page

Raa
    Raa is offline Junior Member

Am I getting enough nutrients?

Primal Fuel
    I've been new to the paleo style of eating, and I'm already losing weight (need to lose a lot). I tried to do some high impact exercises too fast (I was so excited) and now my knees are inflamed and I get weird nerve feelings in my knees and shins.

So, I've taking it easy on the exercise, and I am wondering if I'm getting enough of my nutrients, because I'm not really improving (still losing weight though).

I eat something like the following daily,

6-8oz organic rotisserie chicken, with onions, celery and 2T Olive oil Paleo Mayo (made it fresh). Little bit of Himalayan salt

2 servings fruits a day-- banana, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, watermelon

2 large servings of veggies a day-- Spring mix, romaine, asparagus, steamed broccoli (that's about it)

Another meat snack like 4oz salmon sashimi, GF ground beef, 3 eggs in a little GF ghee or coconut oil

and maybe 8-10oz chili Paleo Texas chili (recipe from here) GF chuck, organic tomato puree, onions and spices.

I'm starting to drink more water, more and more each day. Up to about 3/4 gallon.

I'm going to start taking some Vitamin D3 with cal/mag.

Anyway, knees are my main problem-- and I've been laying off them. I've certainly been a regular customer at the meat and organic departments of Whole Foods. Should I be taking other vitamins or eating other stuff?

billp is offline Senior Member
    What is your high impact exercise? If you are running while being very fat it is bound to hurt your knees and shins, especially if you run on a hard surface.

I started doing weightlifting recently, and I love it. Very easy on the knees but harder on the back.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the foods you are eating are terrific. you've got a good variety, quality foods, and likely some damn happy taste buds. i would say that you're probably getting most of the nutrients you need, but if you are concerned about missing some you can always think about taking a food based multivitamin like rainbow light or something. otherwise, just keep doing what you're doing, and consider adding in some other colorful veggies, seaweed, and organ meats (when you think of it...don't stress out trying to fit it all in)...and maybe some super dark chocolate for fun.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    u....consider adding in some other colorful veggies, seaweed, and organ meats (when you think of it...don't stress out trying to fit it all in)...and maybe some super dark chocolate for fun.
    I agree with this, and that overall your menu looks good. Organs, bone broth, seaweed, home made ferments are all next level stuff to learn about. They are leaps and bounds above taking synthetic vitamins and a whole lot of fun to prepare once you learn some traditional methods.

Raa
    Thanks for the advice. I'm adding in some bone broth (eye round bones, and my rotisserie chicken bones). I've been putting it in the fridge until it cools, then removing the copious amounts of fat that rises to the surface. Is that okay, or is all the good stuff in that fat layer. When i use the bone broth, I still add whole GF meat to the stew.

As for my High impact cardio, I was doing P90x with my fiance, but I was over 300lbs. I'm 30 years old, and I thought it would be no big deal. I was feeling great, then a week later, my knees became inflamed (first time in my life). The only other knee problems I had was in my right knee--mild joint cracking/clicking. However, the inflammation came on suddenly and in both knees.

I took advil for about a week, and they eventually got better about 3 weeks later. I waited another week or two, and started doing bodyweight squats and light deadlifts with a professional trainer at the gym. They started hurting a bit, so he recommended knee braces. I wore them and we did more bodyweight squats, and they were fine during the workout. Immediately afterwards they were messed up, and now they're worse than before. I can't even go on my daily walks by the beach anymore, so it's kind of disheartening.

Does anyone know if I should do laps in the pool, or should I just rest them? What should I do after they get better?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Raa,

You are missing vital iodine in your plan. You must either add iodine supplements with the required co-vitamins or else add a lot of seaweed & seafoods to your diet.

Details here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    http://home.comcast.net/~jocy1/junk/...h%20Iodine.pdf

Grizz

Raa
    Thank you Grizz for pointing out that my diet is Iodine/Iodide deficient. I read the articles posted, and I will attempt to eat more wild fish before seeing my doctor and getting tested.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend a handful of mixed nuts to pretty much everyone a day. There are several minerals that are easy to miss that nuts generally are loaded with. (magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, etc)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raa View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'm adding in some bone broth (eye round bones, and my rotisserie chicken bones). I've been putting it in the fridge until it cools, then removing the copious amounts of fat that rises to the surface. Is that okay, or is all the good stuff in that fat layer. When i use the bone broth, I still add whole GF meat to the stew.

Removing the fat is fine...if its from healthy animals you can save it to cook with. When I use beef/lamb I save the fat. There is plenty of nutrition in the broth itself if you don't wanna use the fat in any manner.

As for my High impact cardio, I was doing P90x with my fiance, but I was over 300lbs. I'm 30 years old, and I thought it would be no big deal. I was feeling great, then a week later, my knees became inflamed (first time in my life). The only other knee problems I had was in my right knee--mild joint cracking/clicking. However, the inflammation came on suddenly and in both knees.

I have heard this story countless times from people starting P90X....I don't recommend this program to anyone that is exercising with any sort of eye towards longevity of your joints. A good strength training routine is important, but it doesn't have to be this high impact or this high frequency (can you say repetative stress injuries?) I personally do "Body by Science" routine once a week, walk a lot, and generally play....throw maybe one sprint type session a week and thats my routine.

I took advil for about a week, and they eventually got better about 3 weeks later. I waited another week or two, and started doing bodyweight squats and light deadlifts with a professional trainer at the gym. They started hurting a bit, so he recommended knee braces. I wore them and we did more bodyweight squats, and they were fine during the workout. Immediately afterwards they were messed up, and now they're worse than before. I can't even go on my daily walks by the beach anymore, so it's kind of disheartening.

Does anyone know if I should do laps in the pool, or should I just rest them? What should I do after they get better?
    RICE till the inflammation goes down a bit then start into just walking regularly. Swimming is OK. If anything aggravates at this stage then you have pushed it to far. Skip the knee braces for long term....for a week or two they may be alright, but in the long run your just weakening your supporting structures by relying on the brace.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I save the layer of fat on the bone broth for cooking. I don't think it tastes that good in the broth itself. Bone broth is a good place to stash a little seaweed if you are searching for ways to eat more seaweed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast