Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be losing weight? page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

Should I be losing weight?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wanted to, from a vanity point of view as I think I am carrying a few extra pounds here and there. Went Primal for health reasons but hey, weight loss would have been an added benefit. I am not losing weight, and I wonder if my body is just happy where it is?

I am 5ft 9inches
    I weigh 72KG
    my BMI is in the healthy range and my BF is 22%

I did lose weight when I went on the Tim Ferris diet and to be honest the only real difference was the beans, which I don't seem to have any real issues with, so I may go back to Mr Ferris and keep the meals as clean as possible but with beans which keep me full.

The biggest issue for me at the moment is hunger, I am probably eating 2000-3000 calories a day (don't count but did an approximation on the last 2 days) lots of protein and fat and I am not going to give up my cheese, I ate it on TF diet and still lost weight so its not an issue. So to drop to 18-19% BF I think I may have to bastardize Primal
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Up to you. If you want to lose weight for vanity's sake then go ahead. There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good, I suspect most of us want to look better and being healthier is the way to go at it. You know what to do to lose weight, it's a personal decision.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    you don't necessarily lose weight (unless you've got a lot to lose) on the primal blueprint, but you probably will get smaller. i haven't weighed myself in a long time, but last time i did i hadn't lost any weight in months, but went down a couple of sizes in my clothes. i think the "effortless weight loss" pitch in the primal blueprint is really about drawing people in through association. "balanced health and improved body composition" doesn't have quite the same ring, but it's probably closer to the truth. the scale may not be showing much change, but i'll bet that everything else is, including a look in the mirror and photographs. so, time to toss the scale.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I know so many people around here hate the "calories in, calories out" theory, but, you may just be eating too many calorie to lose weight? There is science and merit behind it so maybe just cutting back a bit might help you. Too bad cheese would be a good place to start!

PrimalLMT is offline Junior Member
    ^ I have to agree!!! I wasn't losing anything, and started really counting calories and it turns out that I was well above my "weight loss" calories!!! I think when all else fails, counting calories is the way to lose! Hey, it's worth a try right!! I suggest you go to a website and figure out what your BMR is and then put in your activity level, for me, I was in the moderate category, doing crossfit 4-5x a week and hiking, biking, and walking on the other days!! BMR is an excellent place to start!! Also, what are you doing for exercise!?

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    For exercise I do everything I am supposed to.

I lift heavy things once a week at the moment because I can only fit it in once and thats following Marks list of pushups, pullups etc. etc.

I horse ride 3 times a week (play), I cycle to work 2 times a week (sprinting) as it includes hills, I rock climb once a week - my second version of 'lift heavy things' and I hike once a week (about 15-20 miles) , together with housework and generally working full time and caring for a house full time, I don't sit down too much!!

Calories - yes probably, but I am hungry!! and I cannot stand being hungry, I eat 2 or 3 times a day, all Primal food, I think I shouldn't be too worried about it really as I am not overweight.

PrimalRob! hope so - maybe just a tightening of the buttocks will make me happier
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I HATE being hungry too...IF? Yeah right! I keep around 1500 cal and rarely feel hungry. The key is in the fats, 55-60%! I also snack on nuts or a slice of cheese when I am hungry. So many are telling me to nix the nuts but man, they really do help with the hunger. I am very active so although 3 meals/ no snacks is ideal, i'm up from 4:30am to 10 pm...a girl gets hungry! And yes, I still lose weight eating nuts and cheese so what's the big deal! Oh, I suppose it's not exactly primal.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I doubt that the cheese is a problem - it's very nutritious (says the cheese fiend).

Hmm - interesting. I found that cannellini beans were very filling and great for weight loss before I went paleo. I used to eat them as a source of starch in salads at lunchtime. They seem quite mild compared to other beans.

You sound pretty healthy. Perhaps best to focus on more buttock-tightening exercises?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    you don't necessarily lose weight (unless you've got a lot to lose) on the primal blueprint, but you probably will get smaller.
    I need to engrave this into my ... well into something so I can see it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    .... maybe just a tightening of the buttocks will make me happier
    I saw an infomercial the other day, something about Brazil Butt Lifts or something, and wondered how that fit in but that is as far as I got.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    It would be possible to go Whole 30 for a month (including, yes, putting the cheese toward the back of the fridge) and see if that helps. You can always pick cheese back up after you're done, and you probably won't gain from it. Anyone can do anything for 30 days if they really want to. You don't need to lose weight it seems, but if your goal is more important than some cheese for 4 weeks, Whole 30 might be a good step.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast