Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy meat online? page

Tec26 is offline Junior Member

Should I buy meat online?

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to primal eating. Due to sudden health issues, I am sort of forced to eat primal.

I really want to eat high quality meat from now on.. Theirs a few health market places I can go to but they're sort of out of my way and I am pretty busy so I was thinking of ordering online.

First question is.

Is it considered safe? I mean the whole idea of meat being delivered to the door is strange for me but it would also be kind of nice.

Is it a rip off? I'm sure it can be pretty expensive. But on the other hand, I'll be saving gas and a trip to the market.

I used the search option and read a few opinions but didn't really find as much info as I had hoped.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Support your local farmer if possible...

Eat Wild

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've ordered from US Wellness. They have a minimum order size to guarantee the meat will stay frozen. They ship it to your doorstep in a large styrofoam cooler. The cooler seems wasteful but I think they have a cooler take-back program. If not them, I think I've seen other companies that do. Of course, my research shows that take-back programs mostly assuage guilt rather than actually recycle or reuse anything. I don't think it's a rip-off at all to order meat from US Wellness. The prices for local grass-fed beef are higher for me. I usually buy the local though just because I can go get it from the market whenever I want, but the odd things like the pemmican and the kidney fat I have to order.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Support your local farmer if possible...

Eat Wild
    Thanks, for this. I'm hunting down local beef guys, as I type this.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I've had nothing but good experiences with US Wellness meats as well. I do try to buy most of my items locally, but USW's prices are decent, the quality is exceptional, and I trust the sourcing. I currently use them for things like chicken wings, beef tallow, and other odd items I can't get locally.

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I buy my meat from Fossil Farms. Their store is local to me, but they sell online also. Great selection of game meats, and the Piedmontese beef is grass-fed. I just made a stew with some of their venison last night. The chipotle buffalo burgers are awesome, too!
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Local is fantastic if you can find it. You can even buy half a cow and just put in your freezer.

On-line is expensive but I have had good luck with it. US wellness is good. A couple months ago I won a raffle for some free meat from TX Bar Organics. Very expensive but really great meat.

My one suggestion would be to order a reasonable amount the first time you order. Meat will have a different flavor from each farm, so you may not like one and may love another. Better to find out before buying $300 worth of meat

Good luck!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I buy LaCense beef and Vital Choice seafood all the time, both expensive but so delish, shipped on dry ice.

Pinup is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Thanks, for this. I'm hunting down local beef guys, as I type this.
    There's also eatwellguide.org and localharvest.org. When I bought 1/4 grass-fed cow a couple years ago I actually found the farmer on Craigslist. A lot of people who have backyard chickens sell their eggs there, too.
    I don't order online, because I can't seem to justify the cost.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    There's also eatwellguide.org and localharvest.org. When I bought 1/4 grass-fed cow a couple years ago I actually found the farmer on Craigslist. A lot of people who have backyard chickens sell their eggs there, too.
    I don't order online, because I can't seem to justify the cost.
    Thank, you, as well.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast