Thread: Can you build leg muscle by sprinting and doing plyometrics drills? page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I know lifting heavy is the most efficent way to build leg muscle (squats).

My legs feel similiarly sore though after a good hill sprint/plyo day as they would after a squat day.

Having said that, does hill sprinting and plyometrics drills build leg muscle as well?

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I put on A LOT of muscle doing hills (run up, walk down... repeat like 6-10 times), all in my legs and booty. So, uh, yeah totally possible.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Plyometrics gives you explosive ability/strength. I used to do them when hubby and I used to race bicycles long, long ago. The rationale was it would make you a better cyclist on hills and in sprints. Our whole cycling club used to do hill sprints once a week. I found it worked great. It was killer, though!

Hill sprints are the best.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

Strong leg and a good amount of muscle? Yes, definitely.

Big/Large, Muscular legs? Probably not.Although I doubt your goal is BBer type legs.

Remember soreness is not an indicator of anything. My legs felt sore after doing sprints on Saturday. I very rarely get sore from training; I squat 4-5 times per week. Does that sprinting is giving me the same effect as squatting heavy? No.

Doing both Sprints & Squats is optimal.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

I was comparing the soreness as an indication that it was doing "something".

I assumed it would build muscle but not at the same pace as squatting.

I asked because today is a squat day but it's 60 degrees outside and I felt like doing hills and plyos outdoors... I didn't want to feel guilty skipping squats

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

I know, but soreness isn't an indication of anything good or bad.

Do both! I don't know what your schedule or training routine is like, but if can, do your squatting then do something outside. The weather here was great on Saturday, so after training I did a few sprints outside just to get outside.

If you want to sub a day of sprinting for squatting, I don't see the problem. Just squat some tomorrow or another day. Or do both if you can!

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999