Thread: Fat soluble vitamins page

zizou is offline Senior Member

Fat soluble vitamins

Shop Now
    I have a general query about fat soluble vitamins. I think i would've been deficient in Vit A particularly, but who knows maybe i was deficient in all fat soluble vitamins prior to increasing my intake of fat, i wonder thoguh is there a minimum of fat you need for the appropriate absorbption of these vitamins?

Also if i am eating say carrot, do i need to eat it with fat in the meal or is the fat from previous meals enough? I'd like to take at least minimum amount of healthy fat without going overboard, because i believe too much fat causes IBS like symptoms with me, i.e. flatulence and semi-loose stools.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    I have a general query about fat soluble vitamins. I think i would've been deficient in Vit A particularly, but who knows maybe i was deficient in all fat soluble vitamins prior to increasing my intake of fat, i wonder thoguh is there a minimum of fat you need for the appropriate absorbption of these vitamins?

Also if i am eating say carrot, do i need to eat it with fat in the meal or is the fat from previous meals enough? I'd like to take at least minimum amount of healthy fat without going overboard, because i believe too much fat causes IBS like symptoms with me, i.e. flatulence and semi-loose stools.
    I'm not going to try and give you a medical diagnosis because there's not enough information and I'm not remotely qualified, but it sounds like you might not be digesting fats particularly well yet. Might be a bile thing, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

If you're eating carrots for vitamin A, you're probably wasting your time. Carrots contain proto-vitamin A, which most people are very bad at converting to the real thing. Cod liver oil, egg yolks, beef and chicken livers are all good sources of the "real" vitamin A (Retinoic Acid).

zizou is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My digestive system ain't the best, that i acknowledge, but i feel like i can take fats in moderation. I eat liver occasionally, but is once a week enough for my vit a levels because i believe it's not best practice to consume liver consistantly. Cod liver oil i am skeptical of, egg yolks are no problem as i eat eggs almost daily.

I eat sweet potatoes, carrot and pumpkin and i was under impression eating some fat along with them to help the absorption of vitamins was recommended. I'd like to think some does get converted eventually after digestion but i see the point your making.