Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CRP is 4.2 - FREAKED OUT! Couple of questions... page

valeo44 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy CRP is 4.2 - FREAKED OUT! Couple of questions...

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

After months of reading MDA and soaking in as much information as I can, I went to my Dr. and requested a CRP test. She agreed, and I just got my reading back. It's 4.2.

My questions are:

1) How bad is this?? Does anyone have any success stories with respect to decreasing CRP (I've looked in the forum, and saw a few mentions, but nothing very detailed)...?

2) As for supplements, I'm taking 2,000 IU of Vitamin D, B Complex, and Fish Oil. Any advice on this?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by valeo44; 04-26-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    "Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man', or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' Just."
    ~ Finding Neverland

Anyone??...
    "Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's *just* a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, 'He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man', or 'That's not a diamond, it's just a rock.' Just."
    ~ Finding Neverland

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I'll bite.

I don't know what CRP is so I looked it up.
    I also learned that according to WebMD (probably okay for test info) that normal is less than 10mg/L.

However, you say you have been soaking up the info, but not whether you have adopted a paleo/primal lifestyle. Apparently it indicates inflammation in the body and if you are eating inflammatory causing foods that might have something to do with it.

That is my best guesstimate.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

PrimalHerbalist1 is offline Junior Member
    What is your diet like? Completely primal? Eggs? Any Dairy?

C-Reactive is a substance that the liver secretes that turns on immunity, enhancing it systemically to deal with problems locally. It is an accelerant on the immune process, however it does this by being an accelerant on inflammation. It is great for small temporary infections, but it also cause C-reactive protein that systemically raises inflammation in the arteries and everywhere else in the body.

Causes = could be from an infection of some sort, or dietary from inflammatory food (grain, legums, bad oils (everyone) dairy/eggs/nightshades (for some people)
    Last edited by PrimalHerbalist1; 04-26-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Do you know what it was before Primal?

Thanks jojohaligo and PrimalHerbalist1... jojo, I had never seen that link before, and it seems like it's talking about 2 different CRP tests... Mine must have been the second one (High-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) levels) because the result was flagged it as 'high risk'.

And to answer the other questions, I've been having trouble sticking to primal/paleo due to overwhelming "bad" carbs addiction. I would say I'm primal about 40% of the time. I can't eat eggs as I'm allergic (get nausea/double over in pain when I eat them), but I do eat some dairy (mainly goat's milk).

Up to now, my previous bloodwork (sugar levels, thyroid, cholesterol, etc) have all been normal, but I know I'm playing with fire here and I am freaked. This has been a real wake up call...!

I know what I've got to do, and I'm going to do it... I guess I'm just hoping/wondering if anyone has had success with lowering their CRP level with paleo, and what specifically do you think help (including supplements)... As you can imagine, my doctor hardly knew anything about it, was reluctant to order the test to begin with... the lab where I had the test done wasn't even sure if they screened for CRP...
    Last edited by valeo44; 04-26-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    ~ Finding Neverland

No, Linny... I didn't even know the test existed before Primal
    ~ Finding Neverland

lannlycuellar is offline Junior Member
    It is an accelerant on the immune process

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valeo44 View Post
    Hi all,

After months of reading MDA and soaking in as much information as I can, I went to my Dr. and requested a CRP test. She agreed, and I just got my reading back. It's 4.2.
    Medical Tests Recommended by Dr. Ron Rosedale | Sam Snyder

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Not to nitpick, but 40% adherence would not be "Primal". It would be increased meat/fat/protein on top of a standard American diet.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast