Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get seriously lean... page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all, I know the title may sound silly, bear with me ...

Been primal for almost two months now and have enjoyed some weight loss which was my primary plan, now I'm more focused on being healthy, but...

I'm close to my ideal weight as I have in the past through other means, but I could never quite get "the look" I was always aiming for. I know this is vain, but my body is all I have REAL control over and I want to bring it to a level I never could before.

I'm 24, male, 5'7 (5'8 on good hair days =]) and thanks to PB, down to 162 from 172.

My PB diet has changed a bit, at first I was a stir fry 24/7 guy. A meat, usually chicken, and veggies. This worked well, but then I started to worry about getting too many carbs from veggies so I started to up the meat and lower the vegs. I still don't place too much emphasis on fat which I know I should but I cook with either bacon fat or coconut oil, EVOO is my last resort for cooking. I drink coco milk or use it to sautee sometimes but I don't always reach for an avocado, and I don't really eat too many nuts though I have some. I eat lots of eggs, I just stocked up on red meats so I'd say my main proteins are eggs, meat and chicken. I eat fish and pork but most of my pork lately is just bacon. I don't eat any grains except for the occasional fresh baked bread and it's usually just a bite. I DO drink milk, I didn't when I first started PB but kept reading so much about cream that I started missing milk and adding it to my teas, all in all I'd say I drink maybe a quarter to half a glass of milk a day at the MOST. It's not always full fat, but I try to. I consume very little alcohol, I went without it my first month of PB and have had a bit of wine and some gin in the past 2 weeks, but very little. I never really drank much to begin with.

Workout wise I do stronglifts 2-3 times a week and I ALWAYS sprint afterwards at least 8-10x, 10-15 second sprints with walks in between. On off days I work as a waiter so I'm constantly on my feet. I'm either at school (and using their gym) or at work (and walking) so I don't feel like doing much other exercise on off days since I'm at work.

I'm looking to optimize my nutrition to start really shedding body fat. I'm willing to cut out dairy, but my concern is veggies. I have a guilt if I DON'T eat them. I feel as though my meal is "imcomplete" without some sort of green, mostly it's kale, broccoli or spinach but according to fitday.com I'm getting at most 20-30g of carbs through those - and that's if I were to really go all-out, it's usually less - but maybe I should strive for even lower? Should I go on a more meat and egg sort of regimen for some time?

Am I looking to run before I crawl? I'm willing to accept that as an answer as well, it's only been a month and a half and I've already seen good weight loss while putting a bit of muscle on.

I guess I'm looking to get critiqued on my eating/workout habits and seeing where I can fine-tune, I want to turn my body into a BF burning machine! I'll take any and all tips...

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

PS: I should have mentioned that I started this topic because for the last two weeks I feel I've stalled a bit and have hovered at the same weight. I would normally say I'm not concerned with playing the numbers game on the scale but since it's right there when I work out, curiosity gets the best of me.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

iniQuity, do you REALLY think that vegetables are going to make you fat? Or, even KEEP you fat? I don't know, just saying. .. I am always pushing the vegetables.. .

Just make sure you're resting enough on your off-days. I'm constantly being reminded how little sleep most people get.

If anything, I'd just say push it more in your workouts.

AlexK is offline Junior Member

And seriously, too, it's only been two months. PB isn't about QUICK results. It's about LASTING results. If you push it too hard, especially on the exercise, you can end up doing long term damage to yourself. Just be patient. Keep eating the way you are and working out the way you are, and it will come.

If there's one thing I'd suggest fine tuning, I think that doing weights and sprints 3 times a week is too much--you need more recovery time. Keep it at two or even one session a week. Walk more (don't jog, though, unless you have a vendetta against your knees.)

Thanks guys, I was afraid that I was going to sound like I was looking for a quick fix. I guess I needed the reality check.

@Jess, it's silly but sometimes you can just get stuck in a mindset where you try to just optimize everything, you think to yourself "if some is good, more is better!" only in the case of carbs it's the opposite so I thought to myself, "I'm pretty low carb, why not be very low carb?" but I shouldn't neglect my veggies like you said and life is more flavorful with them around.

@JAK, I agree and yeah I know the PB will take care of me if I'm good to it!

I mostly do 2x (tues/thurs) of lifting and sprints. I have time on mondays but I wouldn't want to go monday then tuesday with it so I don't always do it, and if I do, I won't sprint on mondays I'll just do Stronglifts (the weight is still pretty low to the point where I don't feel I need that much rest in between work outs)

I sure wish I could rest more! My feet have been killing me ever since I started this new job I'm on my feet all the time and I work five days, and go to school the other two days. Friday and Sunday I'm at work all day (double-shift) and it's becoming a bit unpleasant. I'm going to have to make some chances to my schedule for sure.

Thanks for your replies guys

mstrudle is offline Member

1. Start fasting, every day, from dinner until lunch at least. If you have the mental fortitude, have a 36-48 hour fast once a week.

2. Cut out the dairy, the bread, and the alcohol, even at the low levels you are eating.

3. If you're eating any fruit, stop.

Your workouts seem fine to me. For vegetables, if you really want to get low carb stick with the green, leafy cruciferous vegetables like kale, chard, spinach. Go for maximum nutrition and minimal digestible carbohydrates. If you like onions, beets, and carrots, like I do, eschew them for the time being.

I have cut out fruit for the last week and sticking with the above vegetables and I've already noticed some of the little BF I have left on my gut coming off. The last few pounds are always the hardest to lose.

I didn't mention fruits because I barely eat them, going fruitless is no issue for me. I usually work out fasted and if I can help it I don't eat till around 1-2pm, sometimes up to 4pm or so. I've definitely been meaning to start a more serious IF, have not yet gone 24 hours but I do about 12-18 hours (dinner to lunch) so I'll attempt a dinner to dinner fast and see how it feels.

These aren't my last few pounds though, I still have a ways to go before that but I certainly appreciate your input.

ToniWA is offline Senior Member

I'm sort of in the same boat trying to get VERY lean since I'm competing in a bodybuilding Figure contest is 5 weeks. I've successfully dropped 5% BF in 20 days and I'm getting another check tmrw after another 14 days. I can already tell I'm down

I've been keeping my daily calorie intake to at least 60% FAT and it has been easy. I take in over a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and that is consistent. I do lift a bit more often than you do, but I can't say enough about making sure have enough FAT to fuel your body. Being in ketosis is great, but be sure to keep up your fat intake. I just ate an entire avocado for lunch on my beef/lettuce wraps. Friggin' YUM!

Good luck to you!

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

ToniWA-Do you feed yourself needing to eat below a certain amount of calories to lose the BF or just making sure to stay in ketosis? After I am done bulking up a bit I will want to try to lean out as well, and just wondering how are you are doing it, or anyone for that matter.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

@mstrudle-Great tips, thanks. I've hit a plateau, even after eliminating dairy, coffee, and almost all carbs. I only fast for 24hr usually. A 48 hr fast sounds...intimidating. Do you feel uncomfortable and cold fasting for this long?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast