Thread: No longer allergic to dairy fat after primal. anyone else lose allergies? page

MikeFlyMike is offline Junior Member

No longer allergic to dairy fat after primal. anyone else lose allergies?

Primal Fuel
    Around 12 years ago I was diagnosed by my doctor to be allergic to full fat dairy.
    I could drink non-fat milk, but if I had some low-fat or 2% I would end up with horrible cramping and pain.
    Not a lactose intolerance as non-fat milk didn't bother me.
    Cheese and heavy butter was enough to make me cry and on a couple occasions I came close to driving to the emergency room in severe pain.

Fast forward 12 years - I have been avoiding cheese of any kind, milk, butter, ice cream etc.
    Started doing primal 1/1. I started noticing everything I eat is digesting better - I never had any intestinal pain, which would happen even if I had rich restaurant foods (which I assumed had some creme or something).

I also realized I was now cooking with a lot more butter and it didn't seem to be bothering me.

So I tried some goat cheese, then cow cheese, then ice cream and cream. No problem at all.

Mind you, I'm not going to be crazy with dairy - it was out of my life for 12 years. But it was something that I dreaded if someone snuck some cheese into a dish - even a trace amount and I would go home sick.
    I know limited dairy in primal - but knowing I'm not going to double over in pain is a huge win.

The question is - does it make sense that giving up grain (and the other primal eating philosophies) would allow my system to digest milk fats correctly?. (original diagnosis was looking like failed gal bladder or gal stones, but ultrasound didn't show - doc did elimination diet and said your gal bladder is just refusing to process milk fats).

How could grains have caused my gal bladder to get irritated by other foods? seems like an odd correlation.
    Last edited by MikeFlyMike; 04-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Lost most of my seasonal allergies by being primal. Now when I cheat with corn I get really bad allergies the next day that even an allergy pill won't completely touch. Rice seems to be okay unless eating it every day, which I shouldn't anyways.

After my dairy elimination of 1 year, I found I can now do fermented dairy okay, but am still lactose intolerant. Although some dairy issues may be that I was just diagnosed with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, so it may be that the sugar (milk sugar & otherwise) in non-fermented dairy could be my real culprit.

MikeFlyMike is offline Junior Member
    See, I had forgotten that I didn't get my seasonal allergies this year (which usually have me on medication for months).

Nalcott is offline Junior Member
    I've had bad hay fever since I was 12. Went Primal in Jan, no hay fever even though everyone around me is saying its one of the worst years.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    DOn't know about allergies, but I haven't had prilosec in three months and don't seem to need it.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

activia is offline Senior Member
    A leaky gut can be the cause of many food intolerances.... Re GAPS diet..
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    THIS!!

I'm 18, i've had seasonal allergies all my life, and this year i've had none. At the same time, on the side from going primal, I also had nose surgery, so idk which one did it. I don't really see how the surgery could stop my allergies though

patski is offline Senior Member
    I second activia's leaky gut comment. You need some l-glutamine in your life! STAT!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    i can now eat grass-fed butter or alternative butter (goat etc.) in small amounts IF my diet is 100 percent primal and 100 in check (even the slightest bit of something non primal will mess me up). i have had trouble with dairy fat all my life too-- zits, hot ears, immediate bloating. but with a primal diet, A-okay!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    For always I've had a blocked nose, made it darn impossible for me to take a deep breath
    Pills and sprays, none helped
    Cutting legumes and grains did
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?