Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just eating Primal isn't enough is it? page

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member

Just eating Primal isn't enough is it?

Primal Fuel
    When I first started 'primal' eating all I had to do was stop eating grains, legumes, bad oils, sugar and processed foods and the weight loss was steady. I lost quite a few pounds the first few months (68) and several clothing sizes and was able to stop taking many medications. My knees were better, I was more active and inflammation was lower. Then something happened around the time I was learning and reading more I increased my protein and fats, decreased my carbs to the 'better' weight loss levels of <50grams. I eliminated fruits, lowered dairy to ghee and a little creamer in coffee.

And I started gaining weight! At first I would gain 4 and lose 2 then I gained 5 and lost 1, then I gained 8 and lost 2. I blamed it on extra long hikes and retaining water etc. But here I am plus 50lbs later and I can no longer blame it on water gain!! I only eat grassfed meats mostly (or extra lean when conventional) wild fish (live by the beach) I have a garden for fresh veggies and buy from a local produce market to supplement. I use olive oil from a local farm, avocado's and coconut oil. I have access to a local dairy for high quality dairy (when I am not fearing it).

I have not had 'bad' foods for over a year I no longer am convinced that ALL we have to do is eliminate the bad foods and everything will fall into place. There is a missing piece to this puzzle somewhere. And it does seem like this is more a problem for us women but I have noticed a few men having the same issue.

And I know that people are going to say it could be my insulin, leptin, hormones, thyroid etc. But that would mean this is a recent developement and apparently happening to a LOT of us so why exactly is that? Are we ALL suddenly 'sick' in some way that is causing us to regain or yo-yo in our weight? Why would that be happening?

The worse part for me is that even going back to the basics isn't working. No matter what I do now I can't seem to get in losing mode. I know I am not the only one so how many of you have/had this issue and what are you doining or have you done to figure it out??

I will never eat grains or bad oils again because I believe they are just bad for my body personally. But I really want to figure this weight thing out so please help if you can please!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Two things:

One, are you doing all 10 laws of primal, or just the food?

Two, there's a reason you aren't supposed to go below 50g/carbs for long. Go back up and see if that helps.

I Have upped them Alex and gained even faster.
    Yes I follow all of the laws including sprinting every 10 days. lifting weights 2 times per week, walking everyday, hiking 1-2 times per week, and everything else as closely as I am able.

I did lose great in the beginning so what could have changed? Was it really lowering carbs and upping the P & F that somehow changed how I process things?

Have you had a thyroid panel done?

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    L2BF, I asked you about a thyroid panel yesterday. Remember my friend - doing everything right and suddenly she gained 40 lbs out of nowhere. Learned she's got Hashimoto's Tyroiditis. After starting her meds, she lost 17 lbs in a week. She is steadily losing again and is down a total of 25 lbs, I think.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I had a throid panel done last sunmmer and everything was normal..

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    Count calories <I know, gasp!> for a week. You may find that you're simply eating too much good primal food. It's possible. If so, you can choose to cut back on daily intake or maybe just add in a 24-hr fast once every week or two.

Peace,
    Karen

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    I had a throid panel done last sunmmer and everything was normal..
    Did you get your T3/T4 checked? This is not common yet it is important. Paleo is a template as chrisKresser says... sometimes you'll have specific problems that need to be addressed by adding/subtracting other things in your diet. Or..

You didnt mention stress management or having fun at all
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

I'd post the Thyroid numbers here- docs seem to miss a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKaren View Post
    Count calories <I know, gasp!> for a week. You may find that you're simply eating too much good primal food. It's possible. If so, you can choose to cut back on daily intake or maybe just add in a 24-hr fast once every week or two.

Peace,
    Karen
    I know I am eating too much meats and fats but I am always hungry. In the beginning it seems I was able to get full and stay full longer but not anymore. I wonder why that is?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast