Thread: Anthony Colpos' Fat Loss Bible page

Anthony Colpos' Fat Loss Bible

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was browsing thru the threads yesterday, and read the one that I think was called Clean Living Magazine. It gave a link to a blog, cant remember the name of the blogger, but he gave a link to Anthony Colpos site. So I read it, was intrigued, and downloaded the book last night. So now I am confused.....I have been eating primal for 3.5 months, not measuring anything out, eating as much as I needed to be full, of the right foods of course. Now I read that there has to be a calorie deficit, and that calories need to be counted, and he suggests logging food into fitday.
    After losing 32lbs, I have been at a standstill for 3 weeks now, so I am thinking is he right? Should I be counting calories to make sure there is a deficit? But the idea of weighing and counting everything again, Weight Watchers style, makes me want to cry!!!

Any thoughts on this people??

jakey is offline Senior Member
    colpo's fat loss bible is spot on. however, you don't need to count anything if you're losing body fat. primal eating generally makes people eat fewer calories by switching them onto nutrient dense, filling foods. if you stop losing bodyfat, you're most likely no longer in a caloric deficit, and tracking can definitely help.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michellethompson View Post
    I was browsing thru the threads yesterday, and read the one that I think was called Clean Living Magazine. It gave a link to a blog, cant remember the name of the blogger, but he gave a link to Anthony Colpos site. So I read it, was intrigued, and downloaded the book last night. So now I am confused.....I have been eating primal for 3.5 months, not measuring anything out, eating as much as I needed to be full, of the right foods of course. Now I read that there has to be a calorie deficit, and that calories need to be counted, and he suggests logging food into fitday.
    After losing 32lbs, I have been at a standstill for 3 weeks now, so I am thinking is he right? Should I be counting calories to make sure there is a deficit? But the idea of weighing and counting everything again, Weight Watchers style, makes me want to cry!!!

Any thoughts on this people??
    Seems like primal is working well for you (32lb in 3.5 months), a three week stand still is not a problem. I would just stick with it. No you don't have to weigh and count. That is the great thing about primal foods...natural satiety mechanisms whole and in place working correctly.

Voyageur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Seems like primal is working well for you (32lb in 3.5 months), a three week stand still is not a problem. I would just stick with it. No you don't have to weigh and count. That is the great thing about primal foods...natural satiety mechanisms whole and in place working correctly.
    I got a couple of questions for all you 'eat when your hungry and stop when you're full' folks. Doesn't that all sound a little arbitrary? If everyone did this and it worked as well as you all say it does(calories deficit arguments aside for a moment) at what body fat percentage will everyone get too before their body naturally reaches it homeostasis? And, what does a person have to do to get leaner than that? And lastly, what does Mark Sisson say about what it takes to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week?

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    My answers in bold

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    I got a couple of questions for all you 'eat when your hungry and stop when you're full' folks. Doesn't that all sound a little arbitrary? Not if you haven't completely blasted your satiety mechanisms and hormones with crap If everyone did this and it worked as well as you all say it does(calories deficit arguments aside for a moment) at what body fat percentage will everyone get too before their body naturally reaches it homeostasis? Everyone would reach their individual homeostatic point, which would vary along that of a bell curve. And, what does a person have to do to get leaner than that? Consciously limit food, timing of ingestion vs exercise, count macros...basically a bunch of unnatural things to reach an unnatural state. And lastly, what does Mark Sisson say about what it takes to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week? Dunno...ask Mark

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The thing is, pre-primal "eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full" didn't work at all. I was always hungry and never full. It works a lot better now that I've healed some of my problems. I eat to full and sometimes I don't eat at all for a while. Not that I turned into a bikini model, but nobody would call me fat now and I don't really have to worry that my appetite will betray me anymore.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Colpo can be somewhat abrasive but he is knowledgeable and has some really good information in his books. Personally it is good to have a general idea of how many calories and average day looks for you. FitDay and the like are really good tools as long as you're willing to log every single shred of food, oil, and drink as exactly possible (which is a royal pain in the ass). Once you have a working understanding of what a calorie deficit looks like, what works for maintenance, and what causes gain then calorie counting is no longer necessary.