My local grocery store had tongue on the shelves this week. Not a whole tongue, but large slices of it. It was sitting in the fridge for a few days, grossing out my DH. Growing up I used to love blood and tongue sausage cold cuts. I used to be able to find that in the grocery store, but not any more.

Today I braised the tongue in beef broth, seasoned to taste like vietnamese pho. Instead of rice noodles I used sliced green cabbage. My DH actually tried it and said it was good, but didn't want a whole bowl, the ickyness factor preventing him from enjoying more. The meat was succulent, tender, and fell apart. I'll make it again if I see tongue at the store.

Here is a rough recipe:

Beef tongue-1.5 inch thick slices, surface membrane and covering intact.
Beef Broth
1 onion, quartered
2 shallots, quartered
1 chunk ginger, sliced thick
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 star anise

green cabbage
corriander
mint
thai basil
lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven. The liquid level should just cover the tongue. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover for 1 hr. At the one hour mark remove pieces of tongue, allow to cool for 10 mins. Continue to simmer broth, the tongue will be going back in. Remove the surface of the tongue-the white membrane and bumpy parts (taste buds). Return to broth, simmer for another 2 hours. Add additional water if there is too much evaporation, you want the meat covered.

Once the meat starts to easily separate it is done. Remove pieces and slice/pull the meat, return to broth.

Slice green cabbage, wash and separate into "noodles" Add to simmering broth until al dente.

Ladle broth, meat and cabbage into a deep bowl. Add corriander, mint and thai basil with a squirt of lime juice.

My house smells wonderful. The star anise hangs around.

mommymd