Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to triathlon training and confused about carbs! page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Replenishing electrolytes is pretty simple -- i never did anything special while I was training. I trained for up to olympic distances, but only ever ran sprints (ran two). I preferred the training over the actual events. Weird, I know.

Coconut water is great for rebalancing electrolytes, as is watermelon juice.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    A sprint triathlon doesn't need that much fuel. A banana right beforehand and one during the bike would be plenty even for someone like me who took two hours. I actually ate an egg breakfast earlier in the morning on race days, but I have a cast iron stomach. Training is a time to experiment. Your body may do just fine on mostly fat, or you may find you have a lot more energy for your training with more carbs.

grecorosana is offline Junior Member
    I feel fine, some days I'm tired so I don't want to eat (for example today), and I know the days I train harder is when I should be eating more/better. I am training for a sprint triathlon with an amazing coach who has a large group of people, so I am not doing it on my own (which will never happen of course), lots of swimming and running techniques and weigh training as well. I'm enjoying the challenge and so far it has been bearable with minimal soreness. Thanks for the reply and I will follow your advice :-)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    During the sprints, I never took food or water. They are such short races, I never really needed it. They took about 1.5-2 hrs -- which is the same as the yoga classes that I was doing at the time, and we don't do water/food then. So, yeah. No need for anything during the race.

But I think the OP was talking about in her day-to-day training life, so that's what I answered to.

Personally, I always followed my own hunger. I rarely have an eating plan. If i'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. That simple, really.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member
    Swimming makes me ravenous! There is just something about it. I never want breakfast...unless I swam that morning.

I prolly average about 100g of carbs/day during Tri season. More on high volume days, less on others. Still "low-carb" by CW standards, but I trained for Ironman like that and felt great. Listen to your body more than your coach. ;-)

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Going very low carb and doing endurance training isn't a good combination. Fortunately, there are plenty of good primal carbohydrate options. I am a huge of fan sweet potatoes and berries and I add fruit to my diet during the warmer more active months of the year.
    I don't know, I can go for a while and have quite a bit of energy remaining on a low carb, but still high calorie/high fat diet. I dont do it often, as I think it is counterproductive to good health, especially being that I am now 39, but when I do, I feel just fine.

I would suggest focusing on interval sprint training equally as much as endurance training. Also, you will never need to actually go at a triathlon distance in order to be sufficiently ready to perform well in a triathlon. I knew a guy that did 3 olympic length triathlons a year, all he did was Bikram yoga.

Vega and Hammer make a good fuel gels for during race energy needs. I don't believe a sprint or even an olympic length should require any food source of energy during the race, not at least if you have done everything properly before hand. I ran a few olympic lengths back in the day( I actually should have tried to pursue a career as a professional triathlete), and I was just fine without an energy gel or any other type of fuel/electrolyte replacement. It was almost as if my body rejected these things the one or two times I tried to consume them during a race, including gatoraide(which I usually loved drinking back then, but during the race consumption of even just one drink made me want to puke).
    Last edited by morganpmiller; 04-26-2012 at 04:44 PM.

[QUOTE=jakey;807126]hi, disclaimer - i don't do triathlons, nor do i think they're a particularly healthy form of exercise.QUOTE]

Sometimes, especially when you are young, it's fun to be a little crazy and do things that are fun regardless of whether they are particularly healthy-i.e. getting drunk with friends, smoking a little pot here and there, engaging in risk taking behavior of all kinds, and running triathlons.

grecorosana is offline Junior Member
    You rock! Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast