Thread: Primal Fitness VS ARMY Fitness page

amckenna is offline Junior Member

Primal Fitness VS ARMY Fitness

My goal since this past summer has been to avoid virtually all long duration high intensity cardio workouts, but still see if I could max the ARMY APFT (ARMY Physical Fitness Test) by staying primal.

As of this morning the results are in...

Maxed the test with 78 push-ups, 83 sit-ups, and ran an 11:50 2 mile. With sprinting, light jogging, and walking I was able to beat other guys who train specifically for the test.

After this morning I was reading over the ARMY fitness guidelines and just had to laugh to myself.

Check it out its pretty funny.
    FM 21-20 Table of Contents | 550 Cord Interactive Military Training Tools and Software

otzi Guest
    Now, thanks to Michelle Obama, they will even be easier to beat!

Healthy Military Food - Better Mess Hall Food - Delish.com
    After helping to change the national school lunch nutrition standards, Michelle Obama has expanded her campaign against obesity and unhealthy eating. Who's next on her list? The military.

According to an Associated Press article on Boston.com, Michelle Obama and Pentagon officials announced a new program to revitalize military menus during a visit to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas. In the first program in 20 years to improve nutrition in the armed services, mess halls will offer more fruit, veggies, and low fat meals.

More From Delish: Are You a Health-Smart Cook?

The Little Rock Air Force base has been experimenting with health improvements, and during Michelle Obama's visit, salad greens, broccoli, and whole greens were featured on the menu. The first lady thanked some of the airmen for eating their vegetables and stated, "We need you strong."

Pentagon statistics show that a quarter of entry-level military candidates are not thin enough to serve or survive their first enlistment. Additionally, the Defense Department has been forced to spend $1.1 billion on medical care related to obesity and overweight patients per year. Weight problems in the military are a continuing problem. Dr. Jonathan Woodson, assistant secretary of defense for health affairs stated that in the 90s, 1 out of 50 armed services members had weight problems. By 2005 the number has worsened to 1 in 20.

The new campaign for healthy military food will expand to the 1,100 service-member dining halls spanning the United States. Meals will include more, "fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, and lower-fat entrees." Additionally, base school vending machines and snack bars will also get a healthy makeover.

More From Delish: A Dozen Healthy Dinners for $3 a Serving

Michelle Obama hopes that healthy changes in the mess hall will send a message about obesity to the whole nation. In a statement to the airmen, she said, "When you make healthy eating a priority in your lives, the rest of us are more likely to make it a priority in our lives."

Do you think the military's healthy eating campaign will inspire others to eat better?

ArrGee is offline Member
    Congrats on acing your APFT!

I had a similar experience during my naval service, although I had no idea what "primal" was a the time (circa 2001). During a deployment, I basically avoided carbs and exercised about every other day. My workouts consisted of just pushups, pullups, squats, and some core exercises (sound familiar?) followed by a short, but intense 15-minute run on the treadmill. Lo and behold, I had the best physical fitness test scores I'd ever had! I also lost a lot of weight.

What happened after that? I second-guessed myself. I got really into health and fitness, which meant long cardio sessions, CW dieting, and so forth. Towards the end of my service (2007), my physical fitness test scores were barely passing, I was overweight (still working on that), and my lower legs suffered from stress fractures.

That's why the primal/paleo lifestyle clicked with me. I had done it successfully before without realizing it! Moral of the story: keep doing what you're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Now, thanks to Michelle Obama, they will even be easier to beat!...
    I feel very sad for current and future service members
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRdnWCd/]

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrGee View Post
    Sadly, what she's doing is better than what's available now... I'm a recent discharge and the food was not so great even by CW standards and was FAR from PB standards. At least now they'll have raw foods they can choose from.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    That's awesome! I've had similar success this past year, but I'm not quite at that level. I dropped two minutes off my run (just under 16 minutes to just under 14) and I'm still improving. My situps are as high or better than they've ever been, and my pushups are getting pretty close to that as well. I highly recommend the PBF: Walk, Sprint, Lift plan to everyone, but most don't seem to believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I highly recommend the PBF: Walk, Sprint, Lift plan to everyone, but most don't seem to believe me.
    Thanks! I know exactly what you mean though. A lot of my freinds or people I work out around completely block out any discussion about how PBF is a lot more practical than conventional cardio and weight lifting. Keep up the work though, those results are awesome!

Great story! I really wish more people outside of the primal community could hear this because I am always getting talked to about how my slacking off during our PT work outs is negatively affecting everyone. I just like to take it easier at the crack of dawn and go hard when I am naturally motivated. Its too bad everyone thinks primal is ridiculous, because I do not think Grok was doing mandatory 530AM PT sessions.
    Last edited by amckenna; 04-26-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrGee View Post

That's why the primal/paleo lifestyle clicked with me. I had done it successfully before without realizing it! Moral of the story: keep doing what you're doing!

Great story! I really wish more people outside of the primal community could hear this because I am always getting talked to about how my slacking off during our PT work outs is negatively affecting everyone. I just like to take it easier at the crack of dawn and go hard when I am naturally motivated. Its too bad everyone thinks primal is ridiculous, because I do not think Grok was doing mandatory 530AM PT sessions.

ArrGee is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by amckenna View Post
    I hear ya. I guess the caveat is this: don't piss-off your chain-of-command Otherwise, sneak in the primal lifestyle when/where you can. I'm pretty sure high APFT scores should be enough to shush any nay-sayers
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wRdnWCd/]