Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: fruit! page

Cavemanseph is offline Junior Member

fruit!

Shop Now
    another post from me, so much to learn!!

i became aware of primal by first doing a little research on paleo. now on a paleo forum there were quite a few that were against eating fruit to a certain extent due to sugar content, i however beleive that eating an extra apple a day is most definitely got to be better than eating some toast or chocolate??

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Better - yes, definitely. But personally I get my carbs from sweet potatoes and other tubers, as fruit has been selectively bred for sweetness over anything else including nutrient value. It's basically fructose, water, fibre, and a bit of vitamin C.

Fructose is only used by the liver, not the muscles.

Compare to sweet potato with its potassium, beta-carotene (Converts to Vitamin A) and healthy carbs.

I am the first to admit this is probably too restrictive for most people, but it works for me. (And you did ask )

I do enjoy berries though!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I like fruit - but I prefer veg!
    Now you're talking

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is a health food that's generally low in calories. Humans are meant to eat fruit, don't be scared of it.
    Just like vegans tend to want to ignore the last 2 million years of evolution, others who are anti-fruit tend to want to ignore the other 20 or so million years of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Better - yes, definitely. But personally I get my carbs from sweet potatoes and other tubers, as fruit has been selectively bred for sweetness over anything else including nutrient value. It's basically fructose, water, fibre, and a bit of vitamin C.

Fructose is only used by the liver, not the muscles.

Compare to sweet potato with its potassium, beta-carotene (Converts to Vitamin A) and healthy carbs.

I am the first to admit this is probably too restrictive for most people, but it works for me. (And you did ask )

I do enjoy berries though!
    That's a bit of a myth. Many wild fruits are higher in sugar and lower in water content than modern cultivated fruits. It varies.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 04-25-2012 at 06:39 AM.

erliechda is offline Junior Member
    As I understand it, sweetness isn't the main attribute they breed into fruit.

Appearance and durability are the two main things the industry is looking for. Taste and texture are down list from making sure they can truck the "products" 3000 miles and keep it looking pretty.

Of course, the veggies aren't all that much better. I'm ready for the farmers market to start!

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    It's basically fructose, water, fibre, and a bit of vitamin C.

I'm sorry but this sounds incredibly stupid to me

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Fruit is good. Pick your fruits wisely. Enjoy berries and cherries most. Not every day. And eat fruit seasonally - they're a summer and fall thing. Don't eat as much/any fruit through the winter. If you're in a northern climate it doesn't taste good, can't be local, and fructose combined with shorter days has shown some bad effects. Not saying an apple here and there in the winter will kill you, but fruits are most definitely seasonal unless you're genetically adapted to the tropics.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If you like fruit, enjoy it!

I love fruit, and am looking forward to picking strawberries and blackberries this summer. I eat 1 or 2 servings most days. Lots of good stuff in fruit. Don't be afraid of it.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavemanseph View Post
    another post from me, so much to learn!!

i became aware of primal by first doing a little research on paleo. now on a paleo forum there were quite a few that were against eating fruit to a certain extent due to sugar content, i however beleive that eating an extra apple a day is most definitely got to be better than eating some toast or chocolate??
    ok......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast