Thread: NYTimes: Nestlé Bringing American-Style Diet Plans to Europe page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Bizarre article. Best line:

"Perhaps the biggest obstacle comes from traditional European attitudes toward eating. In France, in particular, weight control typically has been accomplished by moderation and self-discipline, not prepackaged meals and a coach."

Athena is offline Senior Member

Ugh, I think companies like Jenny Craig are just putting a bandaid (not even a good one) on a gushing wound. Why cant we just spread education instead of trying to sell "jenny craig packaged crap"

avocado is offline Senior Member

LOL. How about these lines:

"Nestlé is betting that Europeans are ready to embrace a concept that has proved very successful in North America."

What are they smoking?

"“The French have a negative reaction to American food,” said Erick Moreau, chief executive of Jenny Craig, France, “but in terms of weight loss, the Americans have credibility here.”

Athena is offline Senior Member

wow....I dont even know what to say about that. I feel like im in crazy land.

Tara is offline Senior Member

This is hysterical, in my opinion, Americans have a reputation for being OVERWEIGHT

ChrisJ is offline Member

While all the above comments are true, Mcdonalds is pretty popular in France last I heard.

That article is hilarious, though. I laughed hard!

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

ChrisJ is offline Member

“Weight loss is a multibillion-dollar industry in the U.S.” said Dr. Christine Gerbstadt,

I think this is the scary thing. Our world has companies that make money from making people fat, and other companies that make money by offering solutions to help them lose weight. Some companies make people feel like they have to lose weight, even when they don't really, and other companies make drugs that keep you alive longer while you stay unhealthy.

Sickening, really.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Darthash is offline Senior Member

Bleh, People need to be educated properly, none of this bull shit that the big companies are doing to make money. It sickens me to know that everything is about money and greed, from goverment to private industry all work on a business scheme.

Make me feel powerless to make the world a better place, wish there was a way to do so .

Yeah. The Americanization of the world's diet means things are going to get worse not better. Went to Russia a couple years ago. There was a 3-4 hour line at the Moscow McDonald's in Red Square. It was a Saturday. Friend explained to me that people travel from all across the country side on the weekends just to have McDonald's.