Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanuts??!! page

Cavemanseph is offline Junior Member

Peanuts??!!

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm new to primal and am so far enjoying it but am wondering what is so bad about peanuts/peanut butter??
    What negative effect does it have?

Cheers!

erliechda is offline Junior Member

I'm new here too!

I am also just starting out in this lifestyle choice (2 months). Admittedly, I feel I may be making quite a few mistakes, but peanut butter is a big part of my diet (at least it isn't JIF anymore?...), and I make it a point to buy the organic, raw and, quite frankly, kinda dull peanut butter. I add some salt, spread it over bananas and apples and call it breakfast (and, a LOT of days, lunch).

I try not to use too much, but sometimes it is all the weight I get in my diet during the day.

Having said that, I'm down 15 pounds and feel great! At least physically. The hard part of this diet seems to be the emotional and, if I'm honest, the judgmental part. That's why I appreciate this particular forum. People seem open to the process here. I've looked at other forums for help and people are militant! I figure; "Hey... life is a work in progress and I'm trying to do the best I can for myself and, most importantly, my two children." If that makes sense.

I seem to have wandered off the topic a little, and I am, perhaps, a touch embarrassed about that...

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    This is a well-timed topic as I was meaning to ask if there is such a thing as O6 deficiency!

I take Omega 3 and eat plenty of sardines, but over the past couple of days have eaten a load of peanut butter and actually feel much better for it.

Other than that I don't eat any nuts/seeds so I'm not sure what other omega 6 sources there are. Main meats are beef, lamb, pork - all free range and organic if possible.

I'm glad I'm not the only 1! I was just interested as to why we aren't supposed to have it.
    I I have settled into this way of life pretty well, do not miss bread or dairy just worry where the extra fat would cone from if I cut out the peanuts!!

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts contain a lectin (peanut agglutinin) that's been accused of pretty much everything over the years, including leaky gut syndrome, freckles and antisemitism.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes. They generally contain mold and have certain anti-nutrients as do other legumes. That is my understanding anyway. As to peanut butter, do stay with organic. Try different ones to find one that isn't dull. Conventional peanut butter is made with fully hydrogenated oil. Artery damage in a jar!!

Fortunately for me I can't stand the stuff so its not an issue. I will have the occasional peanuts while at Texas Roadhouse though.

As to getting enough fat, there are so many ways to do that. Cook with grass fed butter and coconut oil. Avocados and nuts such as raw almonds. Plus you should be eating meat and eggs regularly and these supply fat as well.

I guess putting it that way I think I get plenty of fat as it is, I think I'll try and stick to almond butter where I can though.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I never ate much Peanut Butter before I started my journey, and then I was using it for my apples, and enjoyed it. Then I discovered PB w/banana on toast. I thought I was in heaven. Then I discovered primal and havent had much since. I do miss it.

Off topic but it is funny, I started trying new things before finding primal because I thought they would be good for me. I never ate bread, (well hardly), beans, peanut butter, brown rice, etc and now that I shouldn't have it, I miss it. I would buy lots of fruit each week only to throw it away because no one ate it. I am not craving these things where I am going to strangle someone if I dont have it, I just think about it once in awhile. Mostly the irony. I didnt want them when I could have them, and now that I can't, I find I would like to

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    This is a well-timed topic as I was meaning to ask if there is such a thing as O6 deficiency!

I take Omega 3 and eat plenty of sardines, but over the past couple of days have eaten a load of peanut butter and actually feel much better for it.

Other than that I don't eat any nuts/seeds so I'm not sure what other omega 6 sources there are. Main meats are beef, lamb, pork - all free range and organic if possible.
    that's a good question to ask.
    i've noticed the same thing when i'm eating sardines and grass fed foods, then have a spoonful (or 2) of good peanut butter. i feel great.

i tend not to keep peanut butter on hand all that often because i go a little crazy eating it, but i also don't think a little bit here and there is going to do any real harm. in fact, i think it can help...just stick to the most natural, non GMO kind that you can find.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Rob, that was purely an assumption but I really did feel terrible about two weeks ago when I started taking more O3. Depression and anxiety big time. I had a total 'supplement amnesty' and started again from the basics and can only assume I over-did it with the O3's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast