Thread: Bit of advice please page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Bit of advice please

Primal Fuel
    OK so for the last 3 months ive been doing CrossFit on average 5 days a week, occasionally would be 4 or 6 though.
    Ive been scaling a few things due to battling a couple of injuries. My shoulder has been hurting since the open Burpee workout, (some here will know what this was), and my leg has had an issue too. I have a great physio, and he can't find anything obvious wrong with either, but when he treats me it sorts it for a bit, then I carry on working out as hard as I was and then I am in pain again. He wants me to get an ultrasound, and x-ray on my leg to see what is going on. It still hurts this week, from doing nothing at all. Shoulder less so.
    Some things came up, and I have taken this week off, but am thinking of taking a whole month off (along with doing a whole 30).
    What I want to know is how much will my strength/fitness suffer if I only walk? Or light jog depending on my leg.
    I was considering doing Starting Strength now though, but wonder if a full on rest will be better for me.
    I do love CrossFit, but do feel like its very hard on my body, being as heavy as I am, but I do worry about losing strength, but I guess thats not the worst thing.
    Any advice would be great, hope someone gets me LOL

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    There comes a point where Cross Fit (or enter any activity) can become chronic; and, over time, put undue stress on the body. However, this aside, it's important to let your muscles repair properly; and know when to take a break.

To address your question, directly, I'm guessing there's a danger to not keeping your muscle fibers active, over a longer period of time. But, as I previously wrote, muscles will need time to repair themselves.

While you're healing up, think of what little strength movements you can do, given your situation. I personally haven't done Cross Fit very frequently. But, having just completed one session - this past Saturday, after having not done any in months (forgot exactly how long ago was my last workout), I found I wasn't in the shape I used to be. On the flip side, I found I've recovered better (a nice post workout meal helps in this regard), than in the past. Granted, I've been doing more play (martial arts) than actual Cross Fit. I suppose, there was a little give/take, in the process.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

MightyMouse is offline Senior Member
    If I didn't do any resistance training for a month I would lose a ton of strength. It does seem the amount you've done crossfit has worn out your body a little. I'm biased, but I think going back to SS now would be a good idea. That'll knock your workout days to 3 a week and you can start lighter than you should as a deload.

MM I think that might be a good plan. Unfortunately it means joining an actual gym, but hey, that is way cheaper than CF LOL.
    I might order the book first, rather than try and read everything off the website.
    I am worried about my leg, so will have to sort out x-ray/ultrasound this week.

js290 is offline Senior Member

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Here's what I would do (and "it figures" LOL):

1. take your month off;

2. talk to your physio about exercises that you can do to work on what s/he is 'sorting' (to help facilitate whatever it is that s/he is doing);

3. do your walking;

4. find a good yoga teacher and do that 2-3 times a week -- with attention on not doing whatever aggravates whatever you're doing.

Thanks Zoebird for your advice.
    Will see where I can do yoga around here. Will see my physio again next week.
    I am going to try for a short jog tonight, and see what my leg does. I just need to see where its at. It feels OK right now. But I have not done anything all week.