Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planks Alternatives? page

Chidsuey is offline Junior Member

Planks Alternatives?

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend an alternative exercise. I find right now that my arms are giving out before my abs are, so I'm not getting the most out of the move. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm trying to follow the instructions as closely as possible. Any thoughts?

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    probably not getting your butt right in line. make sure your hips are tucked but not arched under - maybe use a mirror or a friend? alternative exercises - try hollows - you lie on your back and try to hold your feet 6 inches above the ground without letting your lower back arch up off the floor for 10 seconds, then 5 seconds rest, for 5 rounds. if you can't do 6 inches, start higher. for somehting more dynamic, try ranger crawls - get into a plank position with your hands on the floor (not your elbows), then bring your left foot up to just outside your left hand and then put it back. repeat on the right side and go for however many it takes for you to feel it in your abs and obliques.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'd just keep working it to get your arms stronger.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    You get better at doing planks by doing planks. They are NOT fun but they are a great core exercise. Don't worry about your abs. Just make sure you are using good form and hold it as long as you possibly can. If you are convinced you aren't getting the ab involvement that you'd like then do a set of crunches to failure first then immediately go into the plank position. This will pre-exhaust your abs and they will be engaged sooner while holding the plank position.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sounds like your arms could definitely use some strengthening, but you may also want to shifting the position of your arms a bit too.
    as for alternatives:
    hanging leg raises
    bear crawls
    L sits
    planche progressions
    dragon flags
    ...most of these are harder than planks, but way more fun. just work up to them.

...or, just skip the planks. you get a great core workout doing things like pushups, pull ups, squats, etc.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Do them with both hands on a basketball, or one hand each on two basketballs, using a fitness ball, raising one leg/arm off the ground, or one of each at the same time, or even just pulsing the pelvis whilst in the plank position is quite lively as well!

The oblique leg lifts in the plank as Bananabono mentions are good as well.

Cheers

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    sounds like your arms could definitely use some strengthening, but you may also want to shifting the position of your arms a bit too.
    as for alternatives:
    hanging leg raises
    bear crawls
    L sits
    planche progressions
    dragon flags
    ...most of these are harder than planks, but way more fun. just work up to them.

...or, just skip the planks. you get a great core workout doing things like pushups, pull ups, squats, etc.
    and more useful

Doing planks only ever got me better at planks, and not by much.

L-sits have progressed my planks more than planking ever did. And most of the other "core" exercises I used to do.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

mattrogers55 is offline Member
    Planks are pretty useless by themselves. If you're in that position you might as well do push ups. It'll take your mind off the "planking" part of it. If you're looking for core strength, you should do squats.
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Chidsuey is offline Junior Member
    Wow! Thank you all for the replies. I've been doing the PB Fitness routines, so pushups, squats, etc. are already getting done. I'll have to look up how to do basically all of those suggestions hah. Thank you again!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do planks on your elbows/forearms, not on your hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast