Thread: Improving Flexibility page

stolid is offline Member

Improving Flexibility

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

As I've started getting more serious about my body I've buckled down on my diet, started going to the gym ~3 times a week for short but intense weights (and a few body weights movements thrown in) and otherwise trying to improve (slow jog/walking to work, etc.)
    One area I have always struggled with is flexibility - my hamstrings are tight as can be, in particular, and I've never been able to improve much. In Primal Blueprint Mark has some negative things to say about stretching but it seems primarily directed towards the extensive warmup/warmdown stretching that goes with heavy cardio.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on simple, easy to incorporate methods to work on flexibility? Currently I'm doing the 'aboriginal squat' from time to time (shown here: Mark Sisson's Sprinting Workout Routine - YouTube ) but I'm open to other ideas too!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I prefer the protocol written in Michael Colgan's New Power Program. I suggest you find it, in a library; gloss over it; then, see if it makes sense to you; and try it out. Basic tenets: muscles prefer to be warm * stretch to the point of comfortable tension * pay attention to the pictorials offered in the book of what, and what not, to use as stretching movements: A lot of the conventional stretches have side effects, particularly for those who aren't as seasoned in flexibility training * breathe properly throughout the stretching movements.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

jakey is offline Senior Member
    master the airsquat. then work on airsquats where you push your knees out with your elbows, a la goblet squats. then work on air squats with feet held wide, going deep. then progress to doing this hold something above your head - the overhead squat. you gotta open those hips and shoulders!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    master the airsquat. then work on airsquats where you push your knees out with your elbows, a la goblet squats. then work on air squats with feet held wide, going deep. then progress to doing this hold something above your head - the overhead squat. you gotta open those hips and shoulders!
    Though not exactly this, I've been trying to incorporate the Asian squat/Grok hang, as Mark posted, many blogs ago. I almost forgot to mention the Grok squat, for my previous post. I, however, still go by the protocols laid out in the New Power Program.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    mobility work of the day is a great resource: mobilitywod.com

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    +1

KStar is the man.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Totally. My husband found him about a year ago, and practically worships the man. I'm looking forward to him reorganizing the web site so that it's easier to find what you are looking for! I'd love him to organize it by way of body part/joint, as that would make it so much easier to find things!

I've tried to organize it on a links page on my own, but I can hardly keep up -- there being over 360 posts on that stuff. He's apparently writing a book, though, so we'll likely get that.

I'm looking at designing a 'mobility class' with a feldy teacher of mine, using the different mobility movements from k-star where I can use a ball or a foam roller, plus the person's own body. I think it would make for a great class.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I would probably like him as well... at least I think I would, if his sound recordings didn't suck as much as the audio on my computer. Can't even hear what the heck the man is saying half the time.

Cavemanseph is offline Junior Member
    You need to stretch. I always finish a workout with 10mins stretching and since I started my recovery and future workouts have never been better

Traevas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    This.