Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does excess fat go in a >90% fat diet? page 3

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If I had to eat 90% fat, you better believe that I'm consuming a ton of avocado...and some meat cooked in butter!

dallytante is offline Member
    Oh, my message about what 90% fat looks like didn't go through. Well, a few calories and tallies for you: 4.5 oz of macadamia nuts is 1000 calories, 6 tbs of coconut manna=600 calories (amazing taste!), 1 medium-sized avocado (varies)=370 calories. It's easy to overdo it on the nuts and manna, though, which is why I gave a really high example.

Thank you to the person who provided the fatty acid oxidation link--it actually raises a few interesting questions that suggests that the outcome of the overconsumption of fat may not be weight gain.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    It goes directly on to your ass, hips or stomach. If you think otherwise you've been conned by people selling diet books.
    Fat and carbohydrate overfeeding in humans: different effects on energy storage
    Cambridge Journals Online - Abstract
    I know it sucks to learn that despite what Eades and others have said, you can't sit around all day eating cheese filled chicken wings and expect not to get fat if you're eating above maintenance.

HarHaa43 is offline Junior Member
    you feel best at that level? Because you're epileptic

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Dietary fat is the easiest thing to store as body fat. Carbs are considerably harder to turn into body fat than fat is.
    ack. My head is spinning. For the simple minded person like myself, no biochem or anything, I dont know what we are suppose to believe and implement. I was a higher carb but all good carbs (I thought) but still around 150 maybe while trying to restrict fat somewhat, like avoiding any kind excess. Then I was able to rein that in, like around 100 maybe. (and I was hungry all the time, eating every 2-3 hours) Then I find primal, and phrases like carbs drives insulin drives fat & cook w/butter and coconut oil, where as before I might have opted to bake or just a tad of olive oil.

I just dont get it. I keep reading and trying to understand. And just when I think I might have a clue, I realize I really am still just clueless.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    Thank you to the person who provided the fatty acid oxidation link--it actually raises a few interesting questions that suggests that the outcome of the overconsumption of fat may not be weight gain.
    Don't mind the "calories in = calories out" clientele - they've been brainwashed by conventional wisdom. I know for a fact that it's possible to get lean and healthy on a high-calorie diet consisting almost entirely of fat. And how do I know this? Well, I'm a bikini model sitting around 18% body fat at the moment. Of course, it has to be healthy fat from nuts, avocados, coconuts etc. (hydrogenated fat is a big no-no) but I'm sure you already knew that.

Don't let the other posters fool you.

Now go out and eat 4000 kcals of fat per day and report back in a month. Show the naysayers how it's done.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    ack. My head is spinning. For the simple minded person like myself, no biochem or anything, I dont know what we are suppose to believe and implement. I was a higher carb but all good carbs (I thought) but still around 150 maybe while trying to restrict fat somewhat, like avoiding any kind excess. Then I was able to rein that in, like around 100 maybe. (and I was hungry all the time, eating every 2-3 hours) Then I find primal, and phrases like carbs drives insulin drives fat & cook w/butter and coconut oil, where as before I might have opted to bake or just a tad of olive oil.

I just dont get it. I keep reading and trying to understand. And just when I think I might have a clue, I realize I really am still just clueless.
    Metabolism is incredibly complex. "Carbs drives insulin drives fat" is incredibly over-simplified. Insulin is required for survival. An you can store fat in the absence of insulin. Here's another good article from Lyle McDonald:
    Insulin Levels and Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

And one from Mark:
    On Dairy and Insulin | Mark's Daily Apple

And this series:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Thanks & I will read it. I will keep reading & trying to learn. Sometimes though, you just want to throw your hands up because you just dont know wth you are suppose to eat. (believe)

Maybe it is because everyone is different so what works for one might not work for another, idk. Just seems like there ought to be some basics that apply across the board. Either it does or it doesnt. Either it is or it isn't. Either it will or it won't. I do like gray, I live my life with lots of shades of gray, but sometimes I would like some black & white.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post

It's very simple. If you overeat, you gain weight. It doesn't matter if it's protein, fat or carbs. The reason why Primal works is you eat REAL FOOD that balances your hormones and provides real satiety without these wild hormonal swings that cause overconsumption. The whole foods diet is causing you to take a caloric deficit vs the SAD and you don't realize it. Primal works because you eat less calories and feel less hungry, not because of some magical metabolic advantage. You'll get just as fat off of steak, avocado and butter as you will off pasta and ice cream. The difference is it's difficult to overeat steak, avocado and butter regularly and very simple to overeat pasta and ice cream since they're empty calories that provide little nutrition or satiety.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What will happen to the fat? One thing is that it may become VLDL particles in your blood which will give you high triglycerides if you happen to get a cholesterol test.
    Health Correlator: Triglycerides, VLDL, and industrial carbohydrate-rich foods
    Liver glycogen is sugar stored in the liver. This is the main source of sugar for your brain. If your blood sugar levels become too low, your brain will get angry. Eventually it will go from angry to dead, and you will finally find out what awaits you in the afterlife.

Should you be a healthy athlete who severely depletes liver glycogen stores on a regular basis, you will probably have an above average liver glycogen storage and production capacity. That will be a result of long-term compensatory adaptation to glycogen depleting exercise (4). As such, you may be able to consume large amounts of carbohydrates, and you will still not have high fasting triglycerides. You will not carry a lot of body fat either, because the carbohydrates will not be converted to fat and sent into circulation in VLDL particles. They will be used to make liver glycogen.

In fact, if you are a healthy athlete who severely depletes liver glycogen stores on a regular basis, excess calories will be just about the only thing that will contribute to body fat gain. Your threshold for “excess” carbohydrates will be so high that you will feel like the whole low carbohydrate community is not only misguided but also part of a conspiracy against people like you. If you are also an aggressive blog writer, you may feel compelled to tell the world something like this: “Here, I can eat 300 g of carbohydrates per day and maintain single-digit body fat levels! Take that you low carbohydrate idiots!”

Let us say you do not consume an excessive amount of carbohydrates; again, what is excessive or not varies, probably dramatically, from individual to individual. In this case your liver will produce a relatively small number of fat VLDL particles, which will end up as large and buoyant LDL particles. The fat in these large VLDL particles will likely not come primarily from conversion of glucose and/or fructose into fat (i.e., de novo lipogenesis), but from dietary sources of fat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast