Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does excess fat go in a >90% fat diet? page 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The fact is, in order to lose weight, you have to take in less energy than you need. If you want to call that calories-in-calories-out so be it. You can't lose weight without an energy deficit, and having excess energy will store as additional weight (other factors will determine if it's mostly partitioned to fat or muscle, but you're going to get some of both). That is a fact regardless of whether or not you want to hear it.
    god, yes. you really have to keep repeating it around here...

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You would gain weight. Other things might happen too, like an increase in your metabolism and possibly some fatty poops, but in general you should expect to gain weight when you eat a lot more than you need to maintain your health, over a period of time. Carbs per se are not evil and fat per se is not magic, and insulin isn't your enemy. Insulin RESISTANCE is your enemy, and that can be cured by low carb eating + vigorous exercise, more or less quickly.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    what would a day of food look like at 90% fat?
    Surely you wouldn't be getting much in the way of protein, and other solid food? Wouldn't that be like just eating coconut oil and butter?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    I think you're confusing fuel efficiency with storage, which are slightly different. In the absence of carbs, ie you're in a very ketogenic state, it's not that easy to store fat.

"The fact is, in order to lose weight, you have to take in less energy than you need. If you want to call that calories-in-calories-out so be it. You can't lose weight without an energy deficit, and having excess energy will store as additional weight (other factors will determine if it's mostly partitioned to fat or muscle, but you're going to get some of both). That is a fact regardless of whether or not you want to hear it."
    ->I appreciate your input, and it's not a matter of living in denial, but from what I've read, it's not so simple. A physical calorie (what happens in the lab with raising the temperature of water) is not a nutritional calorie, where other factors come into play and where energy can be dissipated in many ways (think of the metabolic advantage that comes from low carb diets--this is not the same as 'naturally' eating less).

But thanks for your reply.
    I'm aware that the human body is not a steady-state thermodynamic equation. The point is it's irrelevant because the variances are so small it doesn't matter. Maybe on a steak and avocado diet, your maintenance calories are 2,100 and on a chicken and pasta diet they're 2,025. It doesn't matter because 75 calories is small enough to not matter. You ARE living in denial. The stuff that you're believing in has been proven wrong again and again. Studies have been done putting people on high carb/low fat diets and low carb/high fat diets and the result is the same - both groups lose the same amount of weight. The difference is the mental game - it's easier to maintain a low carbohydrate lifestyle versus an low fat lifestyle because there are far more food options, the foods provide better satiety and they're often a lot more nutrient-dense. Most of the bad foods in the SAD that promote metabolic disorder are grain-based and loaded with sugar so when you remove carbohydrate, you just happen to remove the most unhealthy items from your diet. It's not that low carb is healthier or better than low fat, it's that the poisonous foods in the SAD are almost all eliminated by a low carb lifestyle.

The fact that you specified you're not willing to listen to "calories in = calories out" in your opening post means you only will hear what you want to hear. You are looking for validation, not for the truth. A lot of extreme-minded people make their way over to Primal/Paleo because extremists crave being viewed as counter-culture. They love the attention it brings them. Going in with this mindset will only lead to failure. I don't care what foods you're eating. You will blow up fat as a house on 4,000 calories a day unless you're a 6'4" Olympic swimmer or a marathon runner.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    god, yes. you really have to keep repeating it around here...
    I'm trying my best. Here's the part that made me slam my head on the desk:

Quote Originally Posted by dallytante View Post
    Please no "calories in=calories out" claims
    The opening post should read more like:

"Hi, I like to recklessly overconsume food. Please validate my lifestyle of chronic overeating by making me believe I can overeat certain foods as much as I want without gaining any weight. Anyone with a point of view that threatens my reckless lifestyle, please stay out. I'd much rather live in blissful ignorance."

Maybe I'm harsh for saying this, but someone has to. You can't constantly overeat and expect not to put on weight. There is no magic diet. New Zealand lamb and fresh vegetables can make you just as fat as a cheesesteak hoagie. The difference is it's much more difficult to overeat fresh lamb steaks and vegetables than it is to shove a greasy sandwich down your throat. I think any guy here can pack in 2 whole cheesesteaks and a liter of Coke. Not many of us can eat a 60oz steak in one sitting.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-24-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ss14 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Excess fat is partitioned into fat storage, extra muscle, bone, etc. Dietary fat is the easiest thing to store as body fat. Carbs are considerably harder to turn into body fat than fat is. The reason why carbs get such a bad wrap is the quality of carbs on the SAD - grains and sugars - are horrendous for your health. If Americans got all their carbs from sweet potatoes and bananas there wouldn't be an issue.

Fat also has the advantage of keeping you full for very long periods of time so it's harder to overeat calories in the form of dietary fat. It's incredibly easy to overeat grains and sugars since they provide little satiety.

If you're keeping protein constant, it doesn't really matter what your fat/carbs ratio is. You can get 90% of the remaining calories from fat or carbs. As long as they're real, whole foods, you'll be healthy either way. The fact is, in order to lose weight, you have to take in less energy than you need. If you want to call that calories-in-calories-out so be it. You can't lose weight without an energy deficit, and having excess energy will store as additional weight (other factors will determine if it's mostly partitioned to fat or muscle, but you're going to get some of both). That is a fact regardless of whether or not you want to hear it.
    That statement is completely false, I firmly believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ss14 View Post
    That statement is completely false, I firmly believe.
    So you think sweet potatoes and bananas are just as unhealthy as wheat bread and pasta? Or do you think they're not as bad, but still unhealthy in general because they're carbs? I'm truly curious.

ss14 is offline Member
    They're lightyears better for some (gluten intolerance), and for the rest, I don't know, but I can't imagine the difference being too great.

Just like carb restriction (along with meal timing and sprints) completely turned my life around, while it doesn't do anything for you and might even be detrimental, because you're a skinny kid who is trying to get huge.
    Last edited by ss14; 04-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ss14 View Post
    They're lightyears better for some (gluten intolerance), and for the rest, I don't know, but I can't imagine the difference being too great.

Just like carb restriction (along with meal timing and sprints) completely turned my life around, while it doesn't do anything for you and might even be detrimental, because you're a skinny kid who is trying to get huge.
    Carb restriction has little to nothing to do with your transformation. Avoiding fake foods did. Just because most fake foods happen to be high in carbohydrate doesn't mean all carbohydrate is bad. There is no reason to avoid fruit and starch at all unless you have given yourself diabetes (which isn't caused by carbohydrate). In fact, avoiding fruit and starch makes you insulin resistant. You'd have a much more flexible metabolism and greater relative strength if you didn't restrict real, healthy foods from your diet. Hell, the worst part of the SAD - industrialized vegetable oils - are fats, not carbs.

Thinking sweet potatoes and bananas are unhealthy is, well, very unhealthy. The whole "you're a skinny kid" argument doesn't work - it's the definition of "fallacy". I used to be a fat kid, and eating carbs instead of fearing them finally fixed that. Age has nothing to do with it. The only thing age is good for is proportionally increasing your stubbornness.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-24-2012 at 09:58 PM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    what would a day of food look like at 90% fat?
    I'd be in paradise if I could sip on bulletproof coffee all day, provided it didn't affect my sleep levels

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast