Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass fed steak from WF,, not impressed page

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member

Grass fed steak from WF,, not impressed

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I went to whole foods and splurged on a grass-fed rib eye. That sucker was 18 bucks, but I decided to treat myself. I cooked it rare on a really hot grill. But due to the lack of fat I was not impressed with the taste and the steak was rather chewy as if I was eating some cheap cut. I guess there is a reason why some best tasting steaks I've had were corn fed or "corn finished". Whole food's grass-fed ground beef on the other hand is very good and much more affordable. Some of the best burger's I've made at home.
    Last edited by lardomuncher; 04-24-2012 at 04:40 PM.

JoeyLawrence is offline Junior Member
    I tend to like my ribeyes cooked a little more closer to medium, especially the grass fed ones. You will get a little more of that melted fat taste. I would try that and eat your NY Strips and filets more rare.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Try the ground buffalo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardomuncher View Post
    So I went to whole foods and splurged on a grass-fed rib eye. That sucker was 18 bucks, but I decided to treat myself. I cooked it rare on a really hot grill. But due to the lack of fat I was not impressed with the taste and the steak was rather chewy as if I was eating some cheap cut. I guess there is a reason why some best tasting steaks I've had were corn fed or "corn finished". Whole food's grass-fed ground beef on the other hand is very good and much more affordable. Some of the best burger's I've made at home.
    Very easily could be your supplier....not even all grass fed cow is created equal. Heck I've eaten mine raw before. Stuff was tender and tasted great!...The other way is black and blue.

patski is offline Senior Member
    You don't cook grass-fed the way you do conventional meat. You cook it on lower heat for more time.

Could be their farmer. Everyone does it differently.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    This is the best way to cook it. Try this next time.
    Tiny Urban Kitchen: Oven to Pan Seared Prime Ribeye Steaks

Basically you need to bake it at a very low temperature. Then you sear it to lock in the juices and then you let it rest.

This slow baking at a low temperature allows enzymes in the meat (cathepsins) to break down connective fibers, making the meat super tender. It's sort of like dry aging at turbo speeds in the oven. This enzyme only works at temperatures below 140 degrees, which is why hot broiling the steaks for a short amount of time does not cause this tenderizing effect. In our case, we have slowly baked and "aged" the steak in the oven under low heat for 15 minutes (or longer, if you like medium steaks!)
    I did this with a steak that was over 1lb in size so it took significantly longer than 15 minutes. I used an oven probe so that the temperature would be precise. It turned out so good my boyfriend said "This is one hell of a steak. I think this is the best steak I've ever had."
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    A good piece of grassfed steak should be mostly very tender and easy to chew. It is possible you simply got 1 out of 20 bad cuts. I've loved every grassfed steak I've made at home, including the rjbeyes.

It is true that grassfed and corn finished may have a bit more flavor.

I also cook my steaks at a lower temp than most, but not to loosen the fibers. I do this simply because it's healthier. My steaks are always medium rare-to me medium is just overcooked steak.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Just to point out, searing a steak does not "lock in the juices". The only reason you sear a steak is to create a crust. I always cook grassfed beef less time. I always go high heat for short period they always come out tasty. Bill Curtis (Tallgrass Beef Company - Home of America's Finest Grass-Fed Beef!) has some tasty steaks and by far the tastiest hamburger (I am talking nothing even comes close). One of his burgers on a flattop topped with some goat cheese... forgetaboutit.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 04-24-2012 at 07:22 PM.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just saying "grassfed" is no guide to the flavor or texture of the meat. Read this: Beef and Beer: Can we de-commodify grassfed meat? | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
    Look for a high end steak from Argentina (or even Australia) next time you want a nice cut of meat - even if it's not certified grass fed, it most certainly will be, as that is the preferred AND cost effective way to do it there, and actually, in most of the world. The US stuff - we are still learning how to do it, and it's pretty hit and miss. With my own farmer, the lamb and pork are among the tastiest I've ever had, but the beef really depends on the cut. Some of it is pretty dry and tough.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Not a fan of Whole Foods' grass fed that I've had. Just not as good as the stuff at the farmer's market, and frequently equal in price or more expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast